Thread: "Syncing" emails on Mac and Ipod...

"Syncing" emails on Mac and Ipod...

Hello Everyone, Any chance of some words of wisdom on the following please...?

I have two email accounts, a Hotmail and a Yahoo. I have purchased a Macbook as my main computer machine, and have a Ipod Touch as a carry around, ebay and email checker etc.

Now then, How do I synchronise all tools and emails to do the same thing? So the "Mail" program on the Macbook and Ipod shows exactly what is in my email accounts, and if I write, move or delete an email from one, it replicates automatically everywhere else.

Anyone sorted this on theirs and care to share their info?

Many Thanks!

Re: "Syncing" emails on Mac and Ipod...

I thought Hotmail and Yahoo mail accounts were online accounts, so independent of your computer?
    Clive Tee

Quote Originally Posted by Clive Tee View Post
    I thought Hotmail and Yahoo mail accounts were online accounts, so independent of your computer?
    Hi Clive,

They are online accounts, but 'Mail' is an Apple program that lets you read them etc. without entering your online account.

What's the point, you may ask, (I did at first!!) but If I could set it up, as my above post, it would be very useful, quicker and much less faff in general...

I just need to set it up though...

I've got 2 email accounts in Mail, a POP account with my own/purchased address, and also an online account with Apple iCloud. The iCloud emails sync with Mail automatically, so assume they will do with other devices. The iCloud is set up as an IMAP account in Mail. I don't know what an IMAP account is but it works.

Is this any use? http://support.godaddy.com/help/arti...ith-your-email

There must be something on Apple support. Or maybe quickest way is to the Mac Rumors Forum, which is brill.
    Clive Tee

Cheers Clive, sorted now!

I've contected both to this Icloud thingy, and after several tries of cursing and trying and retrying and more cursing, it works!!

Apple stuff is brilliant, really happy with it, but sometimes its method of doing things is a bit arse about face, and the help sections leave somethings to be desired...

Thanks for your help Clive!

Quote Originally Posted by Clive Tee View Post
    I've got 2 email accounts in Mail, a POP account with my own/purchased address, and also an online account with Apple iCloud. The iCloud emails sync with Mail automatically, so assume they will do with other devices. The iCloud is set up as an IMAP account in Mail. I don't know what an IMAP account is but it works.

Is this any use? http://support.godaddy.com/help/arti...ith-your-email

There must be something on Apple support. Or maybe quickest way is to the Mac Rumors Forum, which is brill.
    Clive,

Most stuff now goes for IMAP message handling. On the old POP system your pc's email program connected to the server and read your mail, usually it downloads it to the PC and could be set to leave a copy on the server, but usually all the mail is there on the PC and nothing is left on the server. Ok if you are looking at it just with the one pc or phone, if you start using two or more it gets complicated to manage which one has read it and has a copy.

With IMAP its a bit like looking at the free web based email accounts, gmail, hotmail etc, you connect to the server and the mail is there. if you log in with another pc, phone etc its still there to see.

With IMAP you connect to your server and what ever you have used to access it reads the folders, downloads what isn't on already on what you are using. When you look at the mail server with another pc, phone whatever, it to does the same thing, downloads new mail etc, what it also does is IMAP marks what you have read, deleted or moved so you can follow things logically. Everything that is in the inbox, trash, drafts and any other folders in the main group will remain on the server and show on whatever connects, once you move mail to "Local folders" it is removed from the server and stored on the PC/phone.

Usually when you go to delete mail with a phone it comes up with "delete message" with the option of "on mailbox and handheld" or "on handheld only" using the last option leaves it on the server so you can later store it locally on your PC .

ff
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Now I understand. Cheers FF.
    Clive Tee

Also for those who want to With gmail and now Hotmail you can now also set it up as an exchange email address on your iPhone handy for keeping contacts in sync on different devices. Just do a google on how to set up.

Tristan