Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Milk without tmr

Re: Milk without tmr

Quote Originally Posted by valtrarule View Post
    getting them incalf the hard bit
    some just producing two much one came in this morning give 36ltrs
    hame to be round 30ltrs avg aday
    What is the protein % of the overall diet?

Quote Originally Posted by zsnotdead View Post
    she,ll not last too many years at that rate
    It is do-able. If it wasn't then the Holstein club would never give any awards away given their 3 lactations minimum rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    It is do-able. If it wasn't then the Holstein club would never give any awards away given their 3 lactations minimum rule.
    surely can only be done "with TMR"

got lots cows 5/6 up to 8 lactation's plus more
    so he said 14ltrs done on fodder
    14kg put threw oopf depending on yeald 3kg in parlor
    he trying dry some of at moment still giving 18ltrs a day

What do some of you feed your Dry Cows without using the wagon?

Quote Originally Posted by Tullyvernon View Post
    What do some of you feed your Dry Cows without using the wagon?
    I had a nutritionist telling me about some people making 'special dry cow silage' in round bales! Effectively it turned out to be haylage made from virtually organic 'meadow' grass (old leys which don't get much in the way of fert or spray!)

What dry cows need is low energy, high roughage stuff then top up with minerals either via a lick bucket or preferably some kind of pre-calver blend or nut.

Have plenty of good hay here was thinking of using it and giving some kind or blend over it?

Iv herd of a good few people making that 'special silage' for the DC's with and without wagons.

You ever thought of it yourself Ballygreenan??

Have plenty of good hay here was thinking of using it and giving some kind or blend over it?

Iv herd of a good few people making that 'special silage' for the DC's with and without wagons.

You ever thought of it yourself Ballygreenan??
    Not until this year TBH!! I know of a place that would suit well if the landowner would be agreeable, I also know another lad who got himself a shiny new baler and he's mad keen for work!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ballygreenan View Post
    Not until this year TBH!! I know of a place that would suit well if the landowner would be agreeable, I also know another lad who got himself a shiny new baler and he's mad keen for work!!
    Sounds like a plan!

Aye thon edjet, mad for work surely and just generally MAD!

But it would be good if you gave him a turn, the poor critter is struggling

round hear can buy silage cheaper than can make it this year know some guy selling it at 15 abale he paid me 12 to make it and then rent fert ect bit different than last year

Quote Originally Posted by Steakeater View Post
    What is the protein % of the overall diet?
    18%

Quote Originally Posted by zsnotdead View Post
    surely can only be done "with TMR"
    just been looking threw records just dryed cow of done nearly 12,000 in 287 days that was her 6 inings

Quote Originally Posted by valtrarule View Post
    just been looking threw records just dryed cow of done nearly 12,000 in 287 days that was her 6 inings
    Good work!

What is the herd average and how many litres from forage?

Also anyone feeding dry cows licks of any kind should be shot. Save your money and use proper dry cow minerals or rolls. I don't say this every time for my health!!!

Licks are for badgers only!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    Good work!

What is the herd average and how many litres from forage?

Also anyone feeding dry cows licks of any kind should be shot. Save your money and use proper dry cow minerals or rolls. I don't say this every time for my health!!!

Licks are for badgers only!!
    avg 34ltrs
    14ltrs grass

Quote Originally Posted by DairyFarmer111 View Post
    Funny, its good to hear your views, as I'm about to experiment with going back to setting blocks out (first of all with the stale lot) and giving them a topping of hulls and gluten to stretch the silage. Without actually getting a trade-in price for my wagon, I'd only be guessing, but I'd think my depreciation would be more in the region of at least 1500. A new wagon is going to be 20 grand-ish, so I'd need to keep it a very long time indeed to get an average depreciation of 1000. The biggest benefit for us is being able to mix up cuts of differing qualities without ill-effect, including some wholecrop. But we happen to have consistently good silage this year (well, fingers crossed for fourth cut!) and now is the time to try if there ever was one.

How did the experiment go?

Happy enough so far. Silage is good this winter again so doing it again and intakes are fine. Cows are filling up well at the feed rail. We've got our weekends back again. No mixing wagon loads twice on a sunday these days, which is just brilliant. Makes a massive difference. Now I truely get every other sunday evening off (unless there's AIing to do of course). The wagon still does a wee lot for the dry cows, and some of the heifers when they are ready for housing.

I do think a lot of Mixer wagons are on farms purely because it is fashionable or because of shiny machinery syndrome, or the fact that Keenan have very persistent sales people. Although in fairness, I suppose it makes sense to use a wagon if you have a lot of cows to feed as it is maybe simpler than 17 back and forth movements with a shear grab.

I have a guy who is either making milk mostly from grass in summer or doing self feed silage in winter. It appears to work well, but then he doesn't have 200 or more cows trying to feed all at once, I guess with free access 24/7 you could do it, maybe a larger wider clamp, too.

Ultimately there is no right answer, though from looking at a lot of farms and systems, I would say a simple system, done well, and consistently well, would be the way to go.

The guy I would consider the best dairy farmer customer I know of, does not grow maize and will not buy a wagon. His yields and feed rate would be probably amongst the best if he isn't the best, and his fertility is first rate, other customers and prospects are often asking me how he does it. I am not sure I know the real answer but it probably relies on total attention to detail, and he always makes a fair chunk of very nice haylage to add into the diet which he says offsets the concentrates he feeds.

Have any of you guys actually made any conclusions about wagon chopped silage? A few of my lot like it but only because it is cheap to do.

Its a fact that not all wagons are equal with regard to chop. I've had a wagon draw grass to here in the past which did not chop too well. Wouldn't be surprised though if the guy hadn't sharpened his knives in ages, which makes a big difference too.

A good going wagon with plenty of knives, nice and sharp, will not cause you much issue in the pit as long as you aren't trying to cut hard hay. My cousin cuts a bulky second cut for the sucklers, and his silage turns out grand for that job. Putting a metre layer of fairly green stuff on the top of stemmy grass will be very useful.

For good dairy silage, there should be no issues whatsoever. In fact, if you get the weather wrong and the grass is damp, it will make better feed than the green mash from the SPH.

I'd be dubious of any claims that intakes are better with SPH chop. Better cudding of wagon silage and hence digestion should work in its favour.

About the width of two of my not very fat fingers. This is a slice pretty much undisturbed from the moment it was pressed through the knives, until I picked it up off a block of silage. If its packed into the wagon by sufficient HP, it retains a lot of that compression when tipped and takes less buckraking to pack it down.

DF111 I am VERY impressed with that chop length.contractor put in our 2 nd cut one time with wagon..never again.Not chopped at all,grass flowing over edge of silo with still half the crop to go in and I never saw as much waste as that winter. You must have own wagon. Have been told cuntractors don't chop it cos it takes diesel. That looks perfect.

Happy enough so far. Silage is good this winter again so doing it again and intakes are fine. Cows are filling up well at the feed rail. We've got our weekends back again. No mixing wagon loads twice on a sunday these days, which is just brilliant. Makes a massive difference. Now I truely get every other sunday evening off (unless there's AIing to do of course). The wagon still does a wee lot for the dry cows, and some of the heifers when they are ready for housing.
    Glad to hear it! Have yields held up to that of before?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    DF111 I am VERY impressed with that chop length.contractor put in our 2 nd cut one time with wagon..never again.Not chopped at all,grass flowing over edge of silo with still half the crop to go in and I never saw as much waste as that winter. You must have own wagon. Have been told cuntractors don't chop it cos it takes diesel. That looks perfect.
    Sounds like you have been getting the wrong contractors, A well run wagon outfit should consistently have grass like DF111's

Quote Originally Posted by yin ewe View Post
    We tried this last year with 1st and 2nd cut- alternate in the feed passage. They flippin ate the 1st cut and we had to almost hunger them to get them to eat the 2nd cut which wasn't a good situation , so we started tipping it out at the silo face and mixing it with the shear gra along with some silage replacer meal, then put it into the cows. It was a crude mix although it was all eaten up, not sure if it would work with round ales as they would e harder to mix in this way?
    I only make round bale for silage, though used ag bag for the wholecrop this year to see if it reduced wastage from the wide face of the clamp/bale storage area.
    Use a king feeder which I have personally found to be the best for bales & just mix one bale to each grab of wholecrop . Only use it for forage but you can mix the various cuts all together if you wish without any problem. Tried a tub as they seem to be popular but it was so slow & heavy on fuel, this one works easily on 1400rpm on 85hp.
    Also only feed down a trough after redesigning the yard, making use of the yard side of the concrete panel wall of the slurry lagoon. Cows now go out of the parlour straight onto feed so they are able to fill up before going out to grass & it saves fetching them back for night milking as it's there all day long. It's not mine but have a mutual beneficial agreement with a retired dairy farming neighbour, he still uses it for winter on his beef. It can be a pain running it back & forth but a far more cost effective way than buying one & my yields have responded very favourably since using it

Quote Originally Posted by Greenslades View Post
    I only make round bale for silage, though used ag bag for the wholecrop this year to see if it reduced wastage from the wide face of the clamp/bale storage area.
    Use a king feeder which I have personally found to be the best for bales & just mix one bale to each grab of wholecrop . Only use it for forage but you can mix the various cuts all together if you wish without any problem. Tried a tub as they seem to be popular but it was so slow & heavy on fuel, this one works easily on 1400rpm on 85hp.
    Also only feed down a trough after redesigning the yard, making use of the yard side of the concrete panel wall of the slurry lagoon. Cows now go out of the parlour straight onto feed so they are able to fill up before going out to grass & it saves fetching them back for night milking as it's there all day long. It's not mine but have a mutual beneficial agreement with a retired dairy farming neighbour, he still uses it for winter on his beef. It can be a pain running it back & forth but a far more cost effective way than buying one & my yields have responded very favourably since using it
    Sounds like a good system system, you both can share the running costs.

Is it your tractor is used on the wagon then?

Sounds like a good system system, you both can share the running costs.

Is it your tractor is used on the wagon then?
    Yes, it stays on all the time. I run it up at night, he has a set of keys, park it up & run back on his tractor. Then he feeds out while I milk in morn then he brings it back & I do my mix. I actually also pay for the repairs but its still only a fraction of the cost of running even a second hand machine & having the breakdowns to pay on top! Apart from jointly replacing all the blades last year, it's only cost me a few hundred plus diesel.

Sounds a very good simple system, I have a long way to go to get to that yield from so little cake but I'm working on it.
    Prac Farm Ideas did a feature on the system in Issue 23-3, pgs 28-9 http://bit.ly/1bNA7vv Very progressive, practical farming with grass management which really delivers the goods, both as grazed and silage.
    Bright ideas for successful farming www.farmideas.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by farmideas View Post
    Prac Farm Ideas did a feature on the system in Issue 23-3, pgs 28-9 http://bit.ly/1bNA7vv Very progressive, practical farming with grass management which really delivers the goods, both as grazed and silage.
    Must have a look at that

What sort of yields are you achieving with your new system?

No change. I'm looking for cows to peak at around ten gallons, keeping an emphasis on fat and protein. Keeping an eye for tell tale signs of acidosis, but not expecting anything much this winter on the good silage.