Thread: Windows 8

Windows 8

Is Windows 8 awful!?

Re: Windows 8

Certainly is awful. I had a new laptop last month, had read the bad reviews of windows 8, & they are true. Its difficult to navigate, & not intuitive. They've tried to make it like a tablet and it doesn't work. Fortunately you can turn off some of the new stuff if you dig around & revert to the old desktop. Heads should roll at microsoft for this clanger.

Either download and install the classic shell "mask" , or better wait a tiny bit longer for 8.1 to roll out. This brings back the familliar win7-esque desktop (but still works with a touchscreen)

The actual software is very good, but the interface is just a bit too far ahead for the average user at the moment. Give it a few more years and most devices will be operating it or something very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    The actual software is very good, but the interface is just a bit too far ahead for the average user at the moment. Give it a few more years and most devices will be operating it or something very similar.
    Highly doubt it. Most people fail to understand Microsoft is primarily a Business 2 Business provider. Almost every firm aside from a few niche arty firms run Windows, but very few, if any, have migrated their systems over to W8. They will be demanding for W7 to be continued for a good few years yet or a change of interface back to the 'classic' Windows look before considering it. Simply would take too much time to train staff up on W8 - its not a cost they want or need.

Quote Originally Posted by Condi View Post
    Highly doubt it. Most people fail to understand Microsoft is primarily a Business 2 Business provider. Almost every firm aside from a few niche arty firms run Windows, but very few, if any, have migrated their systems over to W8. They will be demanding for W7 to be continued for a good few years yet or a change of interface back to the 'classic' Windows look before considering it. Simply would take too much time to train staff up on W8 - its not a cost they want or need.
    Changing an interface is small fry, the actual bones of W8 is good, just the exterior is a bit different. The boot times etc under W8 are insane.

I use Ubuntu,open source so no costly software,easy to use,very few(yet)viruses and no 'blue screen of death'

Quote Originally Posted by cmjl View Post
    I use Ubuntu,open source so no costly software,easy to use,very few(yet)viruses and no 'blue screen of death'
    Good stuff. If it worked with all software.

just download & install Start8

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

Using w8 for several months and wouldn't want to go back to w7.I hated it at the start but once you master how to navigate it is actually fine.Biggest positive is very fast boot up and shut down.

Quote Originally Posted by WoollyToo View Post
    Is Windows 8 awful!?
    Well its different... I think its fine but just takes a bit of time to get used to.

Is Windows 8 more secure than Win 7?

Quote Originally Posted by T P View Post
    Using w8 for several months and wouldn't want to go back to w7.I hated it at the start but once you master how to navigate it is actually fine.Biggest positive is very fast boot up and shut down.
    +1 I was very frustrated with it at first as I struggled to do simple tasks. But that wasn't the fault of the OS. Just mine for not bothering to learn the basics.

Changing an interface is small fry, the actual bones of W8 is good, just the exterior is a bit different. The boot times etc under W8 are insane.
    ......largely because it's not actually booting but restoring from a hibernation like state.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    Either download and install the classic shell "mask" , or better wait a tiny bit longer for 8.1 to roll out. This brings back the familliar win7-esque desktop (but still works with a touchscreen)
    When is the 8.1 rolling out? I've not used 8 at all, wife does at work and is slightly getting used to it but would get on better/faster with 7. What's the proceedure for installing the "mask" so I can tell her. Might reduce the stress levels a bit!

Quote Originally Posted by Ulscots View Post
    When is the 8.1 rolling out? I've not used 8 at all, wife does at work and is slightly getting used to it but would get on better/faster with 7. What's the proceedure for installing the "mask" so I can tell her. Might reduce the stress levels a bit!
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Ulscots View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisw View Post
    +1
    Its been out for a while now, use windows update and it should automatically install it IIRC-

Plus see here about getting the start button back/more Win 7 type options http://farmingforum.co.uk/forums/sho...ndows-8-tablet read from post #5 onwards

ff

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    Its been out for a while now, use windows update and it should automatically install it IIRC-

Plus see here about getting the start button back/more Win 7 type options http://farmingforum.co.uk/forums/sho...ndows-8-tablet read from post #5 onwards

ff
    Thanks ff, will pass it on and see if she finds it any better.

The bones might be good, but for a business with 1000 employees are you going to ask them all to learn W8? No, you'll stick with W7 which is what they have done. No company wants the hassle and down-time of messing with W8.

I've had a Windows 8 computer for 6 months or so and can't see the problem. On my start page, now more easily accessible in 8.1, there is a desktop tile which if you click on it gives a Windows 7 view. I can see the tile arrangement would be good for tablets, especially since I have a Windows phone which looks similar to Windows 8 although it is underneath not the same apparently.

Michael

I ran windows 8 for 10 minute's I had enough of the windows interface. To be honest if I could I would be running windows xp best stable windows they had.So I now use windows 7 ultimate perfect.