Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sprayer operator tests

Sprayer operator tests

Around 700 been told PA1-PA2 course and test????

In Wales if farming connect registeted can maybe get 80% back ??

How does this compair around the country?

Or just get a good contractor in? if any ?

Re: Sprayer operator tests

Courses are the latest scam.

I'm sure there must be a way to get around doing the course. Or do the instructors also write the exam questions?

I've just been up to the builders' merchants. I took my own saw as they are no longer allowed to have one because of H&S.

Why couldn't they just go on a course and pass a test?? They could even get certified at the same time....

You shouldn't be paying any more than 200 for each one and that is at the expensive end.

Get in touch with your local catchment sensitive farming officer they sometimes have funding available for training of this kind.

Bear in mind once you have the qualification you must keep up to date with NRoSO points so depending on how much spraying you need to do then it may be easier to get a contractor.

If you are looking because you have been on grandfather rights then I don't think you don't need to do the full course/test. My local training organisation is organising a course for the grandfathers, no idea of price though.
    If in doubt get a bigger hammer

Quote Originally Posted by Badshot View Post
    If you are looking because you have been on grandfather rights then I don't think you don't need to do the full course/test. My local training organisation is organising a course for the grandfathers, no idea of price though.
    Thats a joke as well- Grandfather rights???

You can put an older person ,who maybe not done any or small amount of spraying on a modern machine ,with less training or any and all be legal???

Quote Originally Posted by RGT View Post

It was around the 200 mark when I did it but there was a good sized group to dilute the cost.

I did mine this year got the training free from catchment sensitive farming , there doing it again in this area in the winter

Quote Originally Posted by barleymow View Post
    I did mine this year got the training free from catchment sensitive farming , there doing it again in this area in the winter

What area is that then ?

Very lucky, cost me 500 4 years ago, would have been much better and cheaper if I could have just went straight to the tests rather than a day in the class room with council workers who MIGHT have needed to use a knapsack one day

I wonder if there's any connection between the first 2 lines of your post?

If your in Glamorgan area try Jim Wright 07974 439929. I did mine with him a few years ago he was superb. He has operated a sprayer for many years and now services and repairs them. He is very helpful. He will sort the farming connect too i think mine cost about 100 after farming connect.

Thats a joke as well- Grandfather rights???

You can put an older person ,who maybe not done any or small amount of spraying on a modern machine ,with less training or any and all be legal???
    Would rather see some older people spraying their own little patch than some of the contractors I see going about. They don't know the fields and are being pressured into spraying when conditions are less than perfect, not by the customer they are at, but by the waiting list in front of them. A big sprayer used at the edge of good practice (or beyond) by an operator with a piece of paper can do a lot more damage than a smaller sprayer used in good conditions at the right time by an operator with years of experience. The piece of paper only shows you were able to give the right answers on the day, not that you will do the job right all of the time.

Exactly, for example I can often do my bit in a calm window late in the day.
    If it has to be booked in days in advance and he's got 20 other places want doing too things are going to be pushed in less than ideal conditions.
    Mind-bogglingly stupid new regulation for the sake of it.

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    Exactly, for example I can often do my bit in a calm window late in the day.
    If it has to be booked in days in advance and he's got 20 other places want doing too things are going to be pushed in less than ideal conditions.
    Mind-bogglingly stupid new regulation for the sake of it.
    Last time I had a contractor in was to spray of OSR. Driver phoned to ask where field was it was blowing a gale, he was 20 miles away at the time. Told him where field was but that it was not suitable and try the next day. He turned up anyway and sprayed field. Hedge took 5 years to recover and backed my neighbours grass for the rest of the season. Contractor didn't get paid and has not done any work for me since, lucky he didn't end up with a claim for replanting hedge and grass.

Suffolk
    What area is that then ?

Get a small local contractor on side they will value or custom not have 1000s of acres in front of them and no time to take account of weather etc

Quote Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
    Would rather see some older people spraying their own little patch than some of the contractors I see going about. They don't know the fields and are being pressured into spraying when conditions are less than perfect, not by the customer they are at, but by the waiting list in front of them. A big sprayer used at the edge of good practice (or beyond) by an operator with a piece of paper can do a lot more damage than a smaller sprayer used in good conditions at the right time by an operator with years of experience. The piece of paper only shows you were able to give the right answers on the day, not that you will do the job right all of the time.
    There's always a flip side , and the one man operator, farmer, what ever their age, just wants to do his own thing , grow his crop etc. That's the easy bit.
    He's going to get it right because of the large cost of chemicals, but we are forced to do them , as everything links up and drives us down.
    eg. No pa1 pa2, no assurance, no sprayer machine test cert. All snowballs and before you look round all the crap has taken over and the basic job of growing something is immaterial ?

I did PA1 & 2 in Jan and it was about 350 total from memory.

Quote Originally Posted by claas860 View Post
    Get a small local contractor on side they will value or custom not have 1000s of acres in front of them and no time to take account of weather etc
    It doesn't work like that. If he only has a small acreage on his books he's not going to be hanging round the yard waiting for the phone to ring.
    Chances are he'll be away baling or something when conditions are right so you're no better off than with a big operator whose sprayer is always on the go.

No on in this area that bothers or interested in small acreage-less than 100 acres???

Big difference in course charges- rangeing from 800 down to 330 for the same PA1, PA2 courses and tests?????

Quote Originally Posted by Puma Power View Post
    If your in Glamorgan area try Jim Wright 07974 439929. I did mine with him a few years ago he was superb. He has operated a sprayer for many years and now services and repairs them. He is very helpful. He will sort the farming connect too i think mine cost about 100 after farming connect.
    Yes contact Jim he'll sort you out.

Thanks willy.
    Also who do you please use for nsts sprayer testing?
    No examiners, or test centers around here?
    When also is a new sprayer, required a test?
    1 yr or 3rd yr like mot new car?and sprayer test costs, ie 1000lt, tractor mounted small one?also cdp points info please?

Thanks willy.
    Also who do you please use for nsts sprayer testing?
    No examiners, or test centers around here?
    When also is a new sprayer, required a test?
    1 yr or 3rd yr like mot new car?and sprayer test costs, ie 1000lt, tractor mounted small one?also cdp points info please?

Jim does our nsts testing on farm and will explain what u need to check for each year before he visits

Not sure when the first test is required but he's very helpful if u ring him and not much he doesn't know about sprayers.... Has got to the bottom of all our problems even intermittent electrical ones

All sprayers need a test every year, smaller users could do every two years but this no longer applies, test is about 100-120 locally.

Re cpd, 30 points over 3 years to keep up with nroso membership, you get a few points for watching nsts test then so many point for agronomist meetings etc so you usually need to go to a couple of events, say 2 points for cereals or something equivalent locally, I have just had an argument with nroso and told them to stick it as didn't reach points target, and the help line operators are the worst I have ever come across.

Quote Originally Posted by charlieboy View Post
    Re cpd, 30 points over 3 years to keep up with nroso membership, you get a few points for watching nsts test then so many point for agronomist meetings etc so you usually need to go to a couple of events, say 2 points for cereals or something equivalent locally, I have just had an argument with nroso and told them to stick it as didn't reach points target, and the help line operators are the worst I have ever come across.
    Hi charlieboy have you got an email address for nroso please thanks dragman

Quote Originally Posted by dragman View Post
    Hi charlieboy have you got an email address for nroso please thanks dragman
    http://www.nroso.org.uk/contactus.aspx

nrososupport@cityandguilds.com
    Postal address to send correspondance: The NRoSO Customer Support Team, City & Guilds, Building 500, Abbey Park, Stareton, Warwickshire, CV8 2LY
    Tel : 02476 857300
    Fax: 02476 696128

Registered company address: City & Guilds, 1 Giltspur Street, London, EC1A 9DD

This all seems kind of ridiculous new expense to someone spraying 20 or 30 acres on their own farm

What's the situation for quad mounted spot weeding and weedwipers.
    I hardly dare ask.

Nroso memebership would only be a requirement if you are in assurance schemes would it not, or does everyone need to be in to keep the pa1 etc in date they wanted us to join on the course but I only did later when I failed ACCS as I was not in it.