Thread: SF1 accuracy in the real world

SF1 accuracy in the real world

What pass to pass accuracy figures might be expected in real world conditions in East Midlands with Starfire 3000 receiver?
    I am being told it is good enough now for cereal drilling without need for SF2 upgrade and wondered if this is really the case.

Thanks
    C66

Re: SF1 accuracy in the real world

I would always recommend sf2 for drilling but I know of guys getting on very well with SF1 for many jobs
    including drilling
    the only thing you may have to do is chance the width to suit and may also have to use shift track a little bit on the ends

sf 2 is crap at moment

Quote Originally Posted by yorkie View Post
    sf 2 is crap at moment
    You can't go around saying things like that !!

You'll be ejected from the mothership.

Quote Originally Posted by graybo View Post
    You can't go around saying things like that !!

You'll be ejected from the mothership.
    when do first run and in 500m it width of back tyre out it is taking piss and then going down middle of a 75 acre field no trees hill all clear and signal disappears it is great,you can keep it straight but it never matches up when signal comes back,drilling you have to keep altering offsets as day goes along experts say there is nothing wrong you have to narrow your machine a bit is all they say to allow for it,if I was paying for it some one would be wearing a yellow tit,dont get me going on fuel they drink have to fill up twice a day if you want to do more than 8 hours because you carnet have bigger tank they stoped doing it as an option

when do first run and in 500m it width of back tyre out it is taking piss and then going down middle of a 75 acre field no trees hill all clear and signal disappears it is great,you can keep it straight but it never matches up when signal comes back,drilling you have to keep altering offsets as day goes along experts say there is nothing wrong you have to narrow your machine a bit is all they say to allow for it,if I was paying for it some one would be wearing a yellow tit,dont get me going on fuel they drink have to fill up twice a day if you want to do more than 8 hours because you carnet have bigger tank they stoped doing it as an option
    What type of starfire are you using iTC or sf3000
    not have a lot of problem about here but
    i have seen some very poor satellite consolation

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    What type of starfire are you using iTC or sf3000
    not have a lot of problem about here but
    i have seen some very poor satellite consolation
    3000 last few weeks it is getting worse not as many sats when you look on screen,going along this morning full green bar all of a sudden disappears to a small bit of red wait 20mins for it to come back and when it did was half a metre out,do you get a better signal with rtk?,to have another will have to be a free upgrade or it will be a change of colour

3000 last few weeks it is getting worse not as many sats when you look on screen,going along this morning full green bar all of a sudden disappears to a small bit of red wait 20mins for it to come back and when it did was half a metre out,do you get a better signal with rtk?,to have another will have to be a free upgrade or it will be a change of colour
    Rtk will help yes
    Are you getting glonass sats as well
    Changing colour won't help as all use same sats

Rtk will help yes
    Are you getting glonass sats as well
    Changing colour won't help as all use same sats
    yes more glonass than on gps,change of colour would get awy from the big green take over,they arn't the tractors they where,was away from them for a few years then came back and relised other makes had come on a long way

I would always recommend sf2 for drilling but I know of guys getting on very well with SF1 for many jobs
    including drilling
    the only thing you may have to do is chance the width to suit and may also have to use shift track a little bit on the ends
    Yes, SF1 works well but I would recommend SF2 for sowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Charliesixtysix View Post
    What pass to pass accuracy figures might be expected in real world conditions in East Midlands with Starfire 3000 receiver?
    I am being told it is good enough now for cereal drilling without need for SF2 upgrade and wondered if this is really the case.

Thanks
    C66
    I am drilling with a SF3000 receiver on SF1 and getting on very well I have very few problems this is with JD7530 and 4 metre Vaderstad Rapid

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I am drilling with a SF3000 receiver on SF1 and getting on very well I have very few problems this is with JD7530 and 4 metre Vaderstad Rapid
    What sort of problems have you faced, SF1 related or something generic?

Have you set an offset for the Vaderstad drill, owners say it pulls a bit to one side?

Quote Originally Posted by DBatBFF View Post

Have you set an offset for the Vaderstad drill, owners say it pulls a bit to one side?
    I have a 7530 with 4m vaddy. Usually run with a 5 cm. offset, but sometimes up it to 8 cm. if it is really hard.

Drilled 300 acres last year on SF1 as my SF2 licence had expired. Results were satisfactory especially as ground conditions were so hard (-13) that I daren't use my markers in case they broke off.

SF1 with a 3000 receiver is far better than nothing, but if you have the money to get that far it seems a shame to spoil it for the sake of a SF2 licence

Quote Originally Posted by DBatBFF View Post

Very few problems with my set up. Only a 2cm offset the newer Vaderstad drills pull much straighter.

Well, a few months on and we seem to be getting pretty good results with 3000 receiver and SF1 signal.

Cereals and beet drilled far better then by eye and perfectly satisfactory for our needs (even if not quite as accurate SF2 might have acheived).

We seem to regularly achieve within 3 inches pass to pass accuracy and only the occasional shift of track line is needed after a break in working to realign things - all in all, very good service and gives results well inside claimed figures for us.

Maybe I'm a bit late coming into this discussion but anyways! I'm new to this forum. Using autotrac with sf1 for the first time this spring with a 4 meter vaderstad. Has worked great without any much adjusting whenever the signal is in the yellow but far too often it's a bad red I have. Don't know is it something with my receiver or are the satellites just not passing my way. Anyone have similar complaints? Would prefer not to have to upgrade to sf2 as sf1 would do me perfect only for the signal. Ta

Stevee,
    Does gps outage occur at any particular place e.g near trees, pylons, buildings etc?
    i have had odd drop-out in such places and seems fastest way to get back into " yellow " is to park up for a couple of minutes in a place with good satellite view. seems that if you keep moving it can take ages to get good enough accuracy to go back from red to yellow sf1 indifcation.

Charliesixtysix, no I could lose signal driving down the middle of a field uninterrupted by anything. Since I was on last it seems to be a lot better, yellow most of the time. Don't know was it some localised problem for a couple of days, or could that happen, I just don't know!! Will just have to leave it develop for awhile I suppose. You're spot on about parking up to wait for signal to come back, the problem is I wasn't blessed with patience!!