Thread: Feed wagon tlc

Feed wagon tlc

Been giving the feeder wagon a bit of much needed attention recently consisting of
    full service / oil change
    removing rotos and re flighting them
    Partial reline to the sides using six 6 mm plate coming up 400 mm ( only thin due to stone damage)
    replace gussets as they were tin thin
    and finally refitting augers and fitting new blades .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Feed wagon tlc

looks a good job and should last a fair while . Iam looking at reflighting mine (single roto )new replacement is getting on for 5K ,did you do the flights your self or did you have them made and if so what would the cost be. have thought about doing mine my self but dont think i could bend the flights right ,can do all the rest apart from that.

Quote Originally Posted by fir tree View Post
    looks a good job and should last a fair while . Iam looking at reflighting mine (single roto )new replacement is getting on for 5K ,did you do the flights your self or did you have them made and if so what would the cost be. have thought about doing mine my self but dont think i could bend the flights right ,can do all the rest apart from that.

I got quoted 4k a roto off bvl . The new flighting is 15 mm thick so I purchased mine from roto spiral in ireland ( very good to deal with) to be honest because I thought by the time I've tried to bend them its just as easy to give them the measurements and send them across .

to be honest if your cones/ centre tubes are ok it's pointless spending 5k on a new roto , you might as well spend around a thousand quid and just fit new flighting .

Looks good and strong again, how much time did you need?
    What did you use to feed in the meantime?
    What are the bolts in the end of the knifes for?

Looks tidy!!

Question-- I've a oil leak in below my wagon coming from the seal below the main rotor. How difficult is this to fix and can I get to it by removing the big circlip and then what?
    Any good advice appreciated.

Looks a good job there Rodney.

We have a RMH single rotor machine thats just worn out, looking at doing the same as you, reflight the auger and plate the sides.

The price RMH quoted wasn't out of it but we are in NE Scotland and carrige for a recon auger just kills the job.

How did you get on reflighting the auger? Cut the old one off and weld new on? Or is it laid on top of the old flight?
    Likewise did you just push the side plate into shape with a jack or hydrualic ram?
    RMH bloke reckoned that 4mm plate was hard enough to get bent in to shape. If we do it think I'm moving the door round to the side while the gas bottles are out. Bloody front conveyer is just the work of Satan!

Quote Originally Posted by grassmanman View Post
    Looks tidy!!

Question-- I've a oil leak in below my wagon coming from the seal below the main rotor. How difficult is this to fix and can I get to it by removing the big circlip and then what?
    Any good advice appreciated.

What breed of feeder wagon is it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbert View Post
    Looks good and strong again, how much time did you need?
    What did you use to feed in the meantime?
    What are the bolts in the end of the knifes for?
    Hi gerbert .hopefully it should last a while now

we used the spare wagon till I finished this one. Relining ,servicing and replacing gussets took 3
    days . Reflighting took over a day . Removing/refitting the augers and fitting blades took 4.5hours .
    the m10 bolts in the end of the knives are just to hold the end of the knives to the backing plate underneath( they stop silage etc getting wedged in .

Quote Originally Posted by Fermerboy View Post
    Looks a good job there Rodney.

We have a RMH single rotor machine thats just worn out, looking at doing the same as you, reflight the auger and plate the sides.

The price RMH quoted wasn't out of it but we are in NE Scotland and carrige for a recon auger just kills the job.

How did you get on reflighting the auger? Cut the old one off and weld new on? Or is it laid on top of the old flight?
    Likewise did you just push the side plate into shape with a jack or hydrualic ram?
    RMH bloke reckoned that 4mm plate was hard enough to get bent in to shape. If we do it think I'm moving the door round to the side while the gas bottles are out. Bloody front conveyer is just the work of Satan!
    Hi former boy, thanks I'm pleased with how it's turned out ,
    the old flighting is gassed off and ground up and weld the new one on , the side plates were cut and rolled to suit and where it wasn't a hundred percent they were jacked into place .they aren't as easy to do as what you'd think and need to be cut to follow the shape of the feeder sides.

I'm going to put another door in this wagon I think , been looking for a scrap feeder to get one off but given up looking and decided to make one from scratch .

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    What breed of feeder wagon is it ?
    Mine's is a Kverneland Siloking.

mine is a silo king as well. Have you considered making some bolt on wear plates for the auger to make it easier to maintain next time ? This is the 1st vertical machine I have used/owned wish I had done it when I got it as it would have saved the cost of the replacement now and been relatively easy to do.