Thread: what hieght would i lose?

what hieght would i lose?

lean to, 38 foot wide, starting at 16 foot high,what would be the height at the other end at say 10,or 8 degree slope?

Re: what hieght would i lose?

10 degree slope is roughly 1:6 give or take a bit so youll end up wi around 13-14' there or thereabouts (providing my brains in gear at this time of night lol)
    you can go down to 5 degrees with metal sheeting using ordinary fixings any less and hidden fixings are recomended

Quote Originally Posted by stubber View Post
    10 degree slope is roughly 1:6 give or take a bit so youll end up wi around 13-14' there or thereabouts (providing my brains in gear at this time of night lol)
    you can go down to 5 degrees with metal sheeting using ordinary fixings any less and hidden fixings are recomended

10 degrees is about 1:6 but you would lose 6 foot over 36 foot therefore roof would come down to about 10 foot .(ball park figures)

10 degree lose 6.7 foot over 38 feet.
    9 - 6.0
    8 - 5.3
    7 - 4.7
    6 - 4.0
    5 - 3.3

The ratio of height loss to horizontal length is the tangent, but where to find tangents instantly?

Easy!

If you go to the Windows start menu and start to type "Calculator" in the "Search programs and files" box, it'll bring up the windows calculator link, which you click to open. That will be a simple arithmetic calculator, but if you then click the "view" tab, it gives you the option of "scientific" which when clicked brings up a fairly standard scientific calculator, with tangents, sines, cosines, logs etc. etc.

I'm sure few of us want to know that Tan 10 degrees is 0.17632698070846497347109038686862, but multiply that by 38 feet and we have 6.7004252669216689919014347010075 feet of height loss, or about 6' 8" between friends.

.... as said above.

Quote Originally Posted by agcon1 View Post
    lean to, 38 foot wide, starting at 16 foot high,what would be the height at the other end at say 10,or 8 degree slope?
    The simplest way to work out something like this is to draw it to scale on a piece of graph paper.

Awtch, a 40 foot roof at 10 degrees is going to hold a lot of snow is it not?
    Ond lle bu'r arad' ar y ffridd Yn rhywgo'r gwanwyn pr o'r pridd

Quote Originally Posted by Mur Huwcun View Post
    Awtch, a 40 foot roof at 10 degrees is going to hold a lot of snow is it not?
    I agree. 15 degree minimum I'd say in light of what's happened all over the country in the last two or three winters.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Sod View Post
    The simplest way to work out something like this is to draw it to scale on a piece of graph paper.
    Yes for someone like me but the real simplest way is to follow RGSP's instructions.