Thread: Time switch for workshop oil heater that comes on once an hour? Anybody know of one?

Time switch for workshop oil heater that comes on once an hour? Anybody know of one?

Heating our workshop is the biggest cause of industrial unrest. Some too hot, some too cold - always causes issues.

Currently we have an oil fired warm air cabinet heater, thermostatically controlled. But it's either too hot or too cold. When it's running and guzzling oil the place is like a sauna, it then cuts out and the place loses heat quickly and a little pair of fingers will override the thermostat.

What I'd like to try is the heater coming on for say 5minutes every half an hour and see whether that works.

Anyone know of a programmable switch that can do that?

WH

Re: Time switch for workshop oil heater that comes on once an hour? Anybody know of o

Sounds as though the heater is too big for the job.

Can you move the thermostat sensor to different place so that it heats up more quickly?

Dave Applesquasher

Re: Time switch for workshop oil heater that comes on once an hour? Anybody know of o

A simple timer switch from a supermarket will do that, assuming it runs off a 13amp plug.

Quote Originally Posted by Courier View Post
    Sounds as though the heater is too big for the job.

Can you move the thermostat sensor to different place so that it heats up more quickly?
    I think you might be right. We've never done the calcs and the roller shutter leaks heat / draught like a sieve.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Applesquasher View Post
    A simple timer switch from a supermarket will do that, assuming it runs off a 13amp plug.
    Will that automatically do that on the hour every hour say between 07.30 and 18.00?

Quote Originally Posted by WoodenHead View Post
    I think you might be right. We've never done the calcs and the roller shutter leaks heat / draught like a sieve.

Will that automatically do that on the hour every hour say between 07.30 and 18.00?
    If you get one of the simple ones with the tabs you lift up you could have it come on at say 8am for 10 mins, then off until 9am when it comes back on for another 10 mins. I think there are 6 tabs per hour, could be a few more, could be a few less

Dave Applesquasher

Quote Originally Posted by WoodenHead View Post
    Yes, I think the shortest "on" time is 15 minutes.
    The timers cost naff all, fiver maybe.

Dave Applesquasher

You can get electronic ones for not much more money.
    They can be set to come on about 8 times a day I think. For any length of time you choose.
    The benefit with them is that you can set them by the day too so in your case the heating doesn't come on on Sundays for example.

I found one of the best things I ever did to my workshop was to spend a weekend plugging gaps...even if you just semi bodge it with expanding foam on the roof joints etc and carpet on door gaps, made the world of difference for us!!

Quote Originally Posted by darrenjlobb View Post
    I found one of the best things I ever did to my workshop was to spend a weekend plugging gaps...even if you just semi bodge it with expanding foam on the roof joints etc and carpet on door gaps, made the world of difference for us!!
    That's fair comment. Already we've decided when the weather gets better to put some brush around the roller shutter so that next winter the winds don't blow straight through. I suppose it's too easy to switch the heater on and wait until 1000 of gasoil has disappeared and the discipline to not open the roller shutter door to accept a delivery the very minute the unit has got warm

Maybe a personel door would be a good investment, you can get ones that fit roller shutter doors.

Change the nozzle on the boiler for a smaller one cost about 5, temperature would be more constant.

A friend has replaced his oil burner for a waste oil burner, direct replacement works really well.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WASTE-OIL-...item33806d1c54

Put the thermostat in a practical spot, set it at 50 degrees and put a locked cage around it. Coveralls are a lot cheaper than heating oil and save good clothes also. Those cheap timers will do the job you are asking, but probably won't be the solution you want. If it don't work, you can always use it to control the lights in your chicken house for winter eggs.....
    Be your self and speak your mind. Them that matter won't mind and the others don't matter

Thanks for all these points guys - there's some useful thinking out the box there.
    Much apreciated
    WH

Just another thought, a local firm discovered when heating a workshop with a fairly high roof that the first few feet under the peak was very hot but much colder at floor level, so they installed a couple of fans like you see in the hot countries with the blade I believe the wrong way round to get the hot air back down.

I never understand all the excitement in "Grand Designs" about double height ceilings
    do they not know hot air rises.........perhaps you don't feel the cold in a Grand Design

Insulated overalls are a good investment for winter work. Work very well IME.

Something like this:

http://www.beatsons.co.uk/tools-c158...coverall-p1145