Thread: Crystalyx Extra High Energy

Crystalyx Extra High Energy

Hi

Anyone use Crystalyx Extra High Energy tubs? Been using Superlyx but not been that happy with them. I also think Crystalyx are cheaper?

Re: Crystalyx Extra High Energy

Crystalyx aren't cheap but I don't think you'll find a better feed supplement anywhere.

Superlyx ? Made by Rumenco ? If so we tried the organic ones and they have about as much feed value as mouldy straw.

Haha, yeah i was not so impressed at the intake rates either. Looking at 820 ton for Crystalyx red tubs. Is that a decent price?

Quote Originally Posted by lum-fuul View Post
    Haha, yeah i was not so impressed at the intake rates either. Looking at 820 ton for Crystalyx red tubs. Is that a decent price?
    Is that big ones (80kg) or tiddlers? I had a pallet of a dozen (960kg) of the big tubs a month or so ago @64 each (so 768 for the 12).

They will get through a lot less Chrystalix than Supalyx, as they are higher DM & harder. Not always a good thing, but if you looking to give higher quantities, you'd be saving a lot by feeding cereals instead.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilO View Post
    Is that big ones (80kg) or tiddlers? I had a pallet of a dozen (960kg) of the big tubs a month or so ago @64 each (so 768 for the 12).

They will get through a lot less Chrystalix than Supalyx, as they are higher DM & harder. Not always a good thing, but if you looking to give higher quantities, you'd be saving a lot by feeding cereals instead.
    The little uns don't cost much more if you buy them by the pallet. Much easier on the back and they fit nicely on the quad.

the little ones are easy too move,as I found out last winter when the tubs I had put out were all gone by the day after !! locked gates and not that close to the road either., thieving bar-stewards

I cannot believe there has not been research on these sort of products. They seem such a huge price but take the pain out of giving real feed.

I noticed a lot of my ewes last Spring biting at and grating their teeth on one of those compressed feed blocks. Does the same thing happen with the crystalyx buckets? I am wondering if it's detrimental to their teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse1 View Post
    I cannot believe there has not been research on these sort of products. They seem such a huge price but take the pain out of giving real feed.
    We use Rumevite blocks mainly. About half the price of Crystalyx and as long as you feed them in the tubs provided there's little waste.The sheep will eat more of the Rumevite than Crystalyx but it still works out slightly cheaper. I would have to say though that Crystalyx is the better product.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGalway View Post
    I noticed a lot of my ewes last Spring biting at and grating their teeth on one of those compressed feed blocks. Does the same thing happen with the crystalyx buckets? I am wondering if it's detrimental to their teeth.
    They tend to lick the Crystalyx type products but bite and chew on feed blocks which definitely affects their teeth IMHO. We used a lot more blocks than usual last winter and have the brokers to prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse1 View Post

These kinds of threads are always worth a laugh.

Tell me, what magic ingredient is in these things, super high concentrated molasses and say, hydrazine (rocket fuel) to give an ME of what, 110MJ/KG?

Do you REALLY think that a mouth full of any of this crap is a direct substitute for a conventional volume of conventional feeds?

Its like me trying to substitute the normal 3 meals a day for a couple of dextrose tablets and expecting everything to be AOK. If you don't believe me, try it yourself.

I have no clue why you lot are still spending the money on this stuff. lb for lb, I bet rolled wheat or even rolled maize is still ahead in energy through virtue of higher dry matter in the fresh anyway.

820 a tonne? Buy a blend with sugarbeet, cereals and megalac in it, feed in a similarly tiny amount and guess which has the higher energy content? Send some off to a lab, they can soon tell you with a plain old calorimeter!!

Another case of the customer making a justification for the product long after it is sold!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post

These kinds of threads are always worth a laugh.

Tell me, what magic ingredient is in these things, super high concentrated molasses and say, hydrazine (rocket fuel) to give an ME of what, 110MJ/KG?

Do you REALLY think that a mouth full of any of this crap is a direct substitute for a conventional volume of conventional feeds?

Its like me trying to substitute the normal 3 meals a day for a couple of dextrose tablets and expecting everything to be AOK. If you don't believe me, try it yourself.

I have no clue why you lot are still spending the money on this stuff. lb for lb, I bet rolled wheat or even rolled maize is still ahead in energy through virtue of higher dry matter in the fresh anyway.

820 a tonne? Buy a blend with sugarbeet, cereals and megalac in it, feed in a similarly tiny amount and guess which has the higher energy content? Send some off to a lab, they can soon tell you with a plain old calorimeter!!

Another case of the customer making a justification for the product long after it is sold!!
    You totally miss the point , crystalix is not a feed block or at least it wont replace hard feeds never will , its more of a supplement , that basically encourages rumen bacteria to break down more of the fibre in poorer grass ,(its the primary function of urea and molasses), the sheep then get more out of the resultant amino acids created , and they dont cause any acidity in the rumen as any feed provided by a merchant will do , the real strength is sheep will only eat them when its required , totally leave them alone with good young grass thats easily digestible .its time to move them if eaten in any quantity ,
    (how else do i get small quantities of urea into sheep in a safe way on poor pasture )and before you say it , i have yet to see a badger try and eat a very ,very hard crystalx block

They work well , i would have to feed copious amounts of hard feed to get condition on my zwartbles , a job a couple of crystalix will do on their own over the summer months surprisingly well ,(wonder how far 40 would go at bocm ? for 30 hoggs )

Ah, so its molasses and urea.

And you're paying 820 a tonne for it. Or nearly 4 times as much as what regumaize would cost give or take.

You feed your rocket fuel, I'll feed the same amount of cereal based blend or cake heck, I could have urea in that, too. Lb for lb, you are wasting your money. There is no shortcuts or cheap options in the feed game. If there was, it would be the livestock equivalent of turning lead into gold.

If your theory REALLY worked, then all these dairy farmers feeding cake must be crackers when a lick of a block every so often can achieve the same thing.

There is starch and protein in cake too, these also help the rumen microflora. The research has been done a thousand times. If you want weight gain out you need to put something in.

That is almost entirely irrelevant to sheep feed blocks.

I don't think you can beat crystalyx on rough hill ground for ewes which will not get cake but just forage/rough grass all winter.

Well,my first post raised a fair bit of debate!

Thanks all. Food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    That is almost entirely irrelevant to sheep feed blocks.
    Oh I'm sorry, I thought sheep were ruminants and lived on ME, fibre and protein. If that is not the case then I'm totally mistaken and withdraw everything I said.

Please would someone advise me what sheep live upon and also what amount of feed these magic products provide per head per day.

Thanks in advance.

Have to say I'm pretty much in agreement with Uwork4menow on this one, for a number of reasons but mainly because I am yet to find any independent research about crystalyx blocks at all, which surely in anyone's eyes has to raise some questions??

That said I can see why some people still use them. I used them for many years because from a management point of view they make sense for me as the ewes are running a few hundred acres up on the hill so taking feed to them every day is labour intensive and causes a lot of disruption, but from a financial side they seem ridiculous, Over 800/ton for what I see as hard molasses seems a joke to me. I've also found that a lot of ewes will rake the blocks with their teeth and some will spend a lot more time at the blocks than out grazing.

I can't understand the thinking behind using blocks as a grazing management tool...grazing management shouldn't cost anything but time in my mind.

Every year at shearing we always end up with a few ewes turning up that have escaped the net when we've gathered them down for lambing, they will have spent 5+ months out the hill with no feed whatsoever, often having been through a few weeks of heavy snow and they nearly always have a cracking lamb with them and it always makes me wonder why I bother buying any feed at all.....slightly off the topic but does make me wonder if we would better off putting all this money we spend on feed into better breeding instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    slightly off the topic but does make me wonder if we would better off putting all this money we spend on feed into better breeding instead.
    The kiwis will be in agreement with you there!

Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    Have to say I'm pretty much in agreement with Uwork4menow on this one, for a number of reasons but mainly because I am yet to find any independent research about crystalyx blocks at all, which surely in anyone's eyes has to raise some questions??

That said I can see why some people still use them. I used them for many years because from a management point of view they make sense for me as the ewes are running a few hundred acres up on the hill so taking feed to them every day is labour intensive and causes a lot of disruption, but from a financial side they seem ridiculous, Over 800/ton for what I see as hard molasses seems a joke to me. I've also found that a lot of ewes will rake the blocks with their teeth and some will spend a lot more time at the blocks than out grazing.

I can't understand the thinking behind using blocks as a grazing management tool...grazing management shouldn't cost anything but time in my mind.

Every year at shearing we always end up with a few ewes turning up that have escaped the net when we've gathered them down for lambing, they will have spent 5+ months out the hill with no feed whatsoever, often having been through a few weeks of heavy snow and they nearly always have a cracking lamb with them and it always makes me wonder why I bother buying any feed at all.....slightly off the topic but does make me wonder if we would better off putting all this money we spend on feed into better breeding instead.
    Yes five ewes can live on the hill without feed because they have the whole place to themselves. 500 or 5000 would be another matter though.
    Come and stay in the Welsh hills, http://www.holidaycambriancoast.co.uk/

uwork4menow / mule,

You're missing the point about the crystalyx. I accept it's an expensive way of buying feed on the face of it but in hill conditions where daily feeding is impractical and where there's enough roughage available it works and is cost effective. Labour savings alone can justify the extra cost in many cases.

Yes five ewes can live on the hill without feed because they have the whole place to themselves. 500 or 5000 would be another matter though.
    That's a fair point. All I meant was that certain ewes, especially i think within hill breeds, are much more efficient converters of rough forage than others and that by providing lots of additional feed it doesn't show up the better performing ewes. One group of 5 ewes might thrive for a winter on the hill and produce a good lamb but another group of 5 from the same flock might not. I hope that makes some kind of sense

You're missing the point about the crystalyx. I accept it's an expensive way of buying feed on the face of it but in hill conditions where daily feeding is impractical and where there's enough roughage available it works and is cost effective. Labour savings alone can justify the extra cost in many cases.
    I did sort of say that in my post, apart from saying the labour saving can justify the cost. The reason I stopped using it is because I couldn't see how I could justify the expense. I actually think Crystalyx is a good product and I would use if it wasn't for the price, it's ideal for the hill but the margins already being fairly tight, especially for hill farmers, I think I'll look elsewhere for the time being.

Mule, the other option is liquid molasses at about 150 per ton if you buy a reasonable quantity BUT it's a pig to use and I know many who have used it for just one winter and gone back to blocks or licks.

PS how do I quote just part of someone else's post ? When I click "reply with quote" it quotes the whole post and it can be confusing if I'm just replying to a certain point.

Quote Originally Posted by DBJ View Post
    Mule, the other option is liquid molasses at about 150 per ton if you buy a reasonable quantity BUT it's a pig to use and I know many who have used it for just one winter and gone back to blocks or licks.

PS how do I quote just part of someone else's post ? When I click "reply with quote" it quotes the whole post and it can be confusing if I'm just replying to a certain point.

hit reply then highlight the text you want to emphasise by dragging cursor over it , and click the B in tools above post for bold text or I for italic ,you can add colour by clicking the A next to size button and you can pick which one you want

Quote Originally Posted by DBJ View Post
    Just delete the bit you don't want, from within the quote in your reply box.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilO View Post
    Just delete the bit you don't want, from within the quote in your reply box.
    Thanks