Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ranger Rover Sport

Ranger Rover Sport

Has anyone tried one yet ? Press full of praise for them !

Re: Ranger Rover Sport

Quote Originally Posted by oldoaktree View Post
    Nobody in Wales can afford one.
    Come and stay in the Welsh hills, http://www.holidaycambriancoast.co.uk/

A friend of mine has 1 . He paid 30k for it when it was 2yrs old . The guy he bought it off paid 60k for it He loves it but says it is rather thirsty if driven hard . It is very comfortable & it has all the toys . DVD for the kids & a fridge .

I think the question refered to the new RRS: http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=4

If you get one make sure you have the paddles. Be hopeless without.

I have driven the new 2013 RR Vogue a lot, the diesel is ok but is a wussy compared to the supercharged petrol, the rev range is much smaller. Don't get me wrong it overtakes lovely, but if you want to bait hot hatches you need the petrol.

Don't bang on about fuel consumption in a 100K car, either.

They depreciate like bombs. My friend paid 96K for his earlier one, they offered him about 40K for it second hand when he swapped it in for the new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    If you get one make sure you have the paddles. Be hopeless without.

I have driven the new 2013 RR Vogue a lot, the diesel is ok but is a wussy compared to the supercharged petrol, the rev range is much smaller. Don't get me wrong it overtakes lovely, but if you want to bait hot hatches you need the petrol.

Don't bang on about fuel consumption in a 100K car, either.

They depreciate like bombs. My friend paid 96K for his earlier one, they offered him about 40K for it second hand when he swapped it in for the new one.
    I can't believe we're discussing such expensive cars on a farming forum. I must live in a different world to you lot. Most farmers around here drive Golfs or Passats and if they have a good pension fund they spoil themselves with a nearly new Rav4 when they retire. And I'm not talking small farms but well managed biggish family farms with 1000+ ewes or milking 150+

Quote Originally Posted by DBJ View Post
    I can't believe we're discussing such expensive cars on a farming forum. I must live in a different world to you lot. Most farmers around here drive Golfs or Passats and if they have a good pension fund they spoil themselves with a nearly new Rav4 when they retire. And I'm not talking small farms but well managed biggish family farms with 1000+ ewes or milking 150+
    We all like machinery. A Range Rover is just another such item. I bet if they were brave/honest, there is more pistonhead type material and metal hidden away on this forum than anyone would admit to.

I know for a fact I can remember seeing members post and talk about their:

BMW M3
    Audi RS4
    Noble M12 GTO
    Aston but can't remember which
    Imprezas
    Focus RS
    Evos
    Merc CLS
    Porsche
    TVR

And so on.

Nobody in Wales can afford one.
    Cambrian Landrover at Aberystwyth have sold shedloads of both the new Range Rover and RR Sport.
    Not that many Sport delivered yet though. Was talking to one chap a couple of months ago that had ordered one with them for January delivery. He is based about 70 miles from Aberystwyth and not down in Pembrokeshire, which they cover, either.

Farmers are like any other section of society. There are those that can't afford, can afford, those that stretch to get, those that are just not interested even though they could pay cash for a different colour one for every day of the week.
    For the most part though, farmers tend to run pretty ordinary cars and some prefer to change a pick-up every few years even though in doing so they spend more money overall than if they bought a Range Rover new or two years old and kept it for between ten and twenty years.
    Many stock farmers are not interested in cars or any machines at all. They just 'suffer' what machines they have to, including a vehicle that gets their wife to the shops and them to market and up into the far field.

It takes all sorts and it is nobody's business apart from their own at the end of the day.
    The Duck 2015

was told in hunters chester, local landrover dealer they had a lot of the old model and were knocking 25k of them to get rid !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    Cambrian Landrover at Aberystwyth have sold shedloads of both the new Range Rover and RR Sport.
    Not that many Sport delivered yet though. Was talking to one chap a couple of months ago that had ordered one with them for January delivery. He is based about 70 miles from Aberystwyth and not down in Pembrokeshire, which they cover, either.

Farmers are like any other section of society. There are those that can't afford, can afford, those that stretch to get, those that are just not interested even though they could pay cash for a different colour one for every day of the week.
    For the most part though, farmers tend to run pretty ordinary cars and some prefer to change a pick-up every few years even though in doing so they spend more money overall than if they bought a Range Rover new or two years old and kept it for between ten and twenty years.
    Many stock farmers are not interested in cars or any machines at all. They just 'suffer' what machines they have to, including a vehicle that gets their wife to the shops and them to market and up into the far field.

It takes all sorts and it is nobody's business apart from their own at the end of the day.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    We all like machinery. A Range Rover is just another such item. I bet if they were brave/honest, there is more pistonhead type material and metal hidden away on this forum than anyone would admit to.

I know for a fact I can remember seeing members post and talk about their:

BMW M3
    Audi RS4
    Noble M12 GTO
    Aston but can't remember which
    Imprezas
    Focus RS
    Evos
    Merc CLS
    Porsche
    TVR

And so on.
    add an S2000 to the list

Quote Originally Posted by Wilts` View Post
    add an S2000 to the list
    Like I said, I must live in a different world. I was being slightly tongue in cheek when I said nobody in Wales could afford one but for 99% of the Welsh farming population I think that statement would be true.

Good for you if you can afford one. No skin off my nose.

Like I said, I must live in a different world. I was being slightly tongue in cheek when I said nobody in Wales could afford one but for 99% of the Welsh farming population I think that statement would be true.

Good for you if you can afford one. No skin off my nose.
    The thing is, people assume it is expensive to buy and run these things. If you are using it as a second car, or just for weekends or something, it isn't. And you can buy almost anything very reasonably second hand.

A Honda S2000, Porsche Boxster, even more serious metal is going to cost you 5K, thats cheaper than your mums ex demonstrator Megane.

10K gets you into deep trouble, 20K is fatal, no one is running around like a millionaire just because they are driving something which hasn't got TDI on the ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilts` View Post
    add an S2000 to the list
    Ah see I should be your agronomist, we could talk about cars all day!

I'm currently running a 54 plate Alfa Romeo GT V6 as my everyday car.

A little on the thirsty side - but don't think that 25mpg is bad for something with a 240hp 3.2 V6.

Probably only be able to run a car like this as my main car once though. The next one will have to be a little more economical I think.

I saw one of the new L494's in town last week. It didn't look too bad in burgundy, better than he normal shades of grey that most big cars get painted in. Not my bag, but I'm glad people are queuing up to spend a fortune on them.

There re loads of L405's RR's 'round here, I say loads, several.
    Reach for the sky, climb every mountain higher.

Scotland, land of the free home of the brave

Up here if you've got one of these you're either a pimp or a drug dealer. Which one are you lot?

Quote Originally Posted by LALANS View Post
    Up here if you've got one of these you're either a pimp or a drug dealer. Which one are you lot?
    Or both !

Thank God there's someone else who doesn't want one / can't afford one !

I wonder how many will end there days as battered farm hacks like the 1st generation discos have?

Quote Originally Posted by Predial View Post
    I saw one of the new L494's in town last week. It didn't look too bad in burgundy, better than he normal shades of grey that most big cars get painted in. Not my bag, but I'm glad people are queuing up to spend a fortune on them.

There re loads of L405's RR's 'round here, I say loads, several.

Before the son wandered off to Oz a couple of years ago he had to sort out a warranty job on a RR, driven up to near Virginia Water to a mansion used solely during the summer season when wealthy Arabs and their entourage hit london. In the "garage" he had to find the right one from dozens of range rovers, let alone all the other vehicles!! when he asked what they do with all these, the motor pool manager explained that just to nip to london or ascot would entail a procession of cars carrying everything from many wives to the security staff Apparently this was just one of many around london

Wonder if they buy them or lease

ff

Quote Originally Posted by Drillman View Post
    I wonder how many will end there days as battered farm hacks like the 1st generation discos have?
    I once went to a farm in Northampton-shire to buy a tup and was driven around the flock in a newish one. like I keep saying, different world over there obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by john63 View Post
    I'm currently running a 54 plate Alfa Romeo GT V6 as my everyday car.

A little on the thirsty side - but don't think that 25mpg is bad for something with a 240hp 3.2 V6.

Probably only be able to run a car like this as my main car once though. The next one will have to be a little more economical I think.
    It is thirsty when compared to my 200hp, 2.5 ton, 24mpg Land Cruiser Amazon 4.2 litre automatic which manages 24mpg. Times change and most cars are now more powerful and more economical by far than those of 15 years ago. In fact the pace of improvement has been remarkable and when you look back some thirty years, you really do wonder how those old engines managed to consume quite as much fuel as they did.

My old Fiesta 1.3S from 1977 never managed much more than 25mpg from 66hp. The major breakthrough was fuel injection and my 1982 Golf GTi managed over 30mpg from 112hp. Today such power is about average and we expect nearer 40mpg from them.
    The other major fuel economy breakthrough has been the diesel engine. The latest versions of the Range Rover and Land Cruiser are amazingly powerful and torquey engines and, especially in the RR's case can easily exceed 30mpg compared to my old 1986 petrol RR which managed a wheezy 18mpg on a good day despite being fuel injected. Carburetted ones were more like 14mpg from even less power.
    The Duck 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    My old Fiesta 1.3S from 1977 never managed much more than 25mpg from 66hp. The major breakthrough was fuel injection and my 1982 Golf GTi managed over 30mpg from 112hp. Today such power is about average and we expect nearer 40mpg from them.

My sister in law has a new Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost with 100 horses. It does 50mpg in traffic and has an air conditioner to drive, probably a much bigger alternator, wider tyres, is almost certainly much heavier and has to meet very strict emissions reg. I know the man (socially) that got the engine through the regs.
    Reach for the sky, climb every mountain higher.

Well I had ordered one back in October and was told thatthe delivery time would be late July so I said Id wait until Sept to get itwhen the plate number changed. Then good news my dealer called and told mesomeone had canceled their order so now its coming late April. Test drove itand what a car its loads tighter than you might think! No hot hatch or M3 butstill pretty good. I had the demo for a day and a night so got to use it inmany different circumstances from single track back roads up to motorways andwas great on all. Fuel on the 3lt diesel about 33/34 mpg so , not bad.

Well I had ordered one back in October and was told thatthe delivery time would be late July so I said Id wait until Sept to get itwhen the plate number changed. Then good news my dealer called and told mesomeone had canceled their order so now its coming late April. Test drove itand what a car its loads tighter than you might think! No hot hatch or M3 butstill pretty good. I had the demo for a day and a night so got to use it inmany different circumstances from single track back roads up to motorways andwas great on all. Fuel on the 3lt diesel about 33/34 mpg so , not bad.
    I bet down the average rough and pot holed B road I bet the RR sport is every bit as fast as a hot hatch. Maybe not an M3 unless you have the petrol one! Petrol vogue I used to drive had more power than a lambo Gallardo and could drop a hot hatch like yesterday's shopping!

Yes it might well keep up with most hot hatches but when I had the demo I was well aware of how much it cost ! It had a sport mode for the gearbox like most autos then a dynamic mode which made things move on .
    Further back in this thread someone said you need paddles for the gear box , I've had auto cars with them for 6-7 years and that's prob how many times I've used them . The new disco/ range rover 8 speed box is great and so smooth (apart from sometimes setting off it's all or nowt ) you can't feel it change in normal driving .

Yes it might well keep up with most hot hatches but when I had the demo I was well aware of how much it cost ! It had a sport mode for the gearbox like most autos then a dynamic mode which made things move on .
    Further back in this thread someone said you need paddles for the gear box , I've had auto cars with them for 6-7 years and that's prob how many times I've used them . The new disco/ range rover 8 speed box is great and so smooth (apart from sometimes setting off it's all or nowt ) you can't feel it change in normal driving .
    Same here. I had paddles on the Audi and never used them. I did use them before the engine was re-mapped, because it tended to hold on to sixth [top] gear until the engine was idling sometimes and wouldn't change down unless the throttle was used to 'kick-down', so I sometimes changed down two gears using the paddles. After the re-map I don't think I used them more than a handful of times in 40,000 miles.

I do think that the new all-alloy RR and RRS have the potential to be the best models yet in every way including longevity. They have not got many bits to rust, which is what tended to kill earlier models. If they can just get the reliability spot-on, they would have almost the ideal farming family vehicles.
    The Duck 2015

I've run quite a few landrovers of one sort or another in the past few years and reliability has never been much of a problem with them for me . I've found a great dealership which is not a big national chain which suits me . Had Audis with paddles too never used them either . Not sure why u get an auto then want to change gear your self ! If needed most autos have the ability to change gear with the lever up or down !

My old sport was very reliable... until it caught fire! Hope they've sorted that issue out...

Dear oh dear. If youre gonna pootle about like a nun then I do wonder what good all that chassis technology and stonking engine is going to be doing for you really.

The paddles are what put you in control and really let you drive the thing in the manner in which JLR have engineered it. It is called a Range rover SPORT after all, it's supposed to make you grin and begs to be driven like a sports car.

As part of the hand over experience they should make you hustle one around a track so you can appreciate quite how clever a vehicle it is. It's a sports car with a nice interior that just happens to be a bit taller than normal. Why else does it have brake discs the size of dustbin lids and the engine and gearbox out of a Jag?
    You can't drive like it's your grans fiesta all the time!
    As for all alloy bodies and longevity I don't see the relevance, the average RR buyer won't be keeping his for 20 years they change them very regularly.

I don't know what fascination you have with modern cars oxidising duck, they are galvanic coated and have half decent paint these days and it will be the exhaust or flywheel or engine or suspension which throws in the towel and provides an uneconomic repair long before the chassis or body succumbs to major corrosion. We have come a long way since 1985 in the automotive industry.