Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 61 to 86 of 86

Thread: Ranger Rover Sport

  1. #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    215

    Re: Ranger Rover Sport

    Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    Ha ha ha, driven both, the Rangey is no slouch! Petrol one moves like shit off a shovel, engine has more poke and torque than the Lambo Gallardo, and in a now lightened chassis, it must be a hoot.

    Diesel Audis are just a different vehicle, no real sporting pretense TBH. Solidly competent but that is all.

    RR sport is no dumb monster. A lot of technology went into it. Its the same with the Cayenne.
    Put all the technology you like into it ,but the rrs sport diesel has slower acceleration, higher centre of gravity ,is heavier and far more areodynamic drag than the allroad bitdi ,so how do you explain that the allroad would not see it for dust .

    I can't remember which program ,top or fifth gear , but they tested the fastest petrol rrs on a track and it just matched a mini cooper which again has slower specs than the bitdi allroad , to say it wouldn't see it for dust would suggest the rrs is way quicker than an allroad yet just about everything suggests if anything the oppossite is true apart from your opinion of course

  2. #62
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NE England
    Posts
    535

    Re: Ranger Rover Sport

    Quote Originally Posted by Chips View Post
    Put all the technology you like into it ,but the rrs sport diesel has slower acceleration, higher centre of gravity ,is heavier and far more areodynamic drag than the allroad bitdi ,so how do you explain that the allroad would not see it for dust .

    I can't remember which program ,top or fifth gear , but they tested the fastest petrol rrs on a track and it just matched a mini cooper which again has slower specs than the bitdi allroad , to say it wouldn't see it for dust would suggest the rrs is way quicker than an allroad yet just about everything suggests if anything the oppossite is true apart from your opinion of course
    Don't waste your breath on this thread with him I fairly sure he's got no idea what he's on about ! Empty tins and all that

  3. #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NE England
    Posts
    535

    Re: Ranger Rover Sport

    Off to pick my new motor up this weekend 👍👍👍

  4. #64
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    144

    Re: Ranger Rover Sport

    U fellors must have money to burn.
    Nevermind all the VAT that's practically unclaimable back on these 60+ Motors.

    Good luck paying all that road tax & ave 30 MPG but if you must have these toys
    maybes your pulling a big trailer with them then fair enuff.

    I'll stick to 20 RoadTax & late 50's MPG from my humble 181hp Motor that costs a quarter of them RRS

    A m8 had to have a RRS its the original one & is 490 for one yrs Road Tax

    that's the next 23yrs taxed on my car WTF ???? its just nuts

    The UK Gov don't want us to run older cars that's for sure with there Tax System

  5. #65
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NE England
    Posts
    535

    Re: Ranger Rover Sport

    Well pick the motor up and I'm well pleased with it !
    With the stop start in traffic function brings the tax down to 220 a year so on par with the defender

  6. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    537

    Re: Ranger Rover Sport

    Can't quite understand the need for a 70+k rapidly depreciating conveyance, especially the 400 tax and thirst for the dino juice!

    That said, expecting a new X3 in September. 50mpg, 120 to tax .

  7. #67
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NE England
    Posts
    535

    Re: Ranger Rover Sport

    Not 70k+ and tax "only" 220 .it's worth more now than I paid for it as there's a long waiting list for them !

  8. #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    2,820

    Re: Ranger Rover Sport

    Quote Originally Posted by oldoaktree View Post
    Not 70k+ and tax "only" 220 .it's worth more now than I paid for it as there's a long waiting list for them !
    Who cares, you get it, drive it and enjoy it and to hell with the naysayers. If you can, you must and don't let anyone say otherwise!

    Which engine did you go for in the end???

  9. #69
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    307 miles from Walter P
    Posts
    446

    Re: Ranger Rover Sport

    Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    Can't quite understand the need for a 70+k rapidly depreciating conveyance, especially the 400 tax and thirst for the dino juice!

    That said, expecting a new X3 in September. 50mpg, 120 to tax .
    me neither. I have a small car by any standards and it's bloody brilliant. When little cars are as good as they are I see no reason for a big one. There are a few L405 FFRR's around here, that is a huge amount of money to it in the same traffic as me but it's their money.

    Most of these sort of cars aren't really meant for these shores anyway, they end up in the Middle East, hence the bling.
    Reach for the sky, climb every mountain higher.

  10. #70
    Senior Member old-school's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    140

    Re: Ranger Rover Sport

    Quote Originally Posted by DBJ View Post
    I can't believe we're discussing such expensive cars on a farming forum. I must live in a different world to you lot. Most farmers around here drive Golfs or Passats and if they have a good pension fund they spoil themselves with a nearly new Rav4 when they retire. And I'm not talking small farms but well managed biggish family farms with 1000+ ewes or milking 150+
    must do . life's to short to be a pesant

  11. #71
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NE England
    Posts
    535

    Re: Ranger Rover Sport

    I'm not just a farmer if I was there is no way I could afford a Range rover sport .

  12. #72
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NE England
    Posts
    535

    Re: Ranger Rover Sport

    My car my choice I don't give a F about what anyone else thinks . This is how it is for me . When I was a kid I loved cars and always wanted a good car be a golf gti Ford xr 3!
    Now I have made a few quid and it not a drain on my bank account I bought the car .
    Some may say oh my God how can you spend that much money on a car ! Well I ducking love it I've done every shit job on farms since I can remember from holding the staple pale when moveing turnip nets to holding a cow's tail while it was getting milked when I was just out of nappies to having to decide on weather to borrow x amount of money to buy/rent land etc .
    I've packed in the agri rat race got my bit and as my gear gets older and more out of dare I'll use more contractors ,New 180/200up tractor how much ?????

  13. #73
    Senior Member old-school's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    140

    Re: Ranger Rover Sport

    Quote Originally Posted by oldoaktree View Post
    My car my choice I don't give a F about what anyone else thinks . This is how it is for me . When I was a kid I loved cars and always wanted a good car be a golf gti Ford xr 3!
    Now I have made a few quid and it not a drain on my bank account I bought the car .
    Some may say oh my God how can you spend that much money on a car ! Well I ducking love it I've done every shit job on farms since I can remember from holding the staple pale when moveing turnip nets to holding a cow's tail while it was getting milked when I was just out of nappies to having to decide on weather to borrow x amount of money to buy/rent land etc .
    I've packed in the agri rat race got my bit and as my gear gets older and more out of dare I'll use more contractors ,New 180/200up tractor how much ?????
    Good on you . Spend it how you like . I do . So does everyone ells .
    At the end of the day it's all relative , citron or range rover

  14. #74
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    253

    Re: Ranger Rover Sport

    Quote Originally Posted by old-school View Post
    At the end of the day it's all relative , citron or range rover

    Had the annual meeting with the accountant recently, and he said "You've had a decent year, if you wanted you could re-invest some of the profit in some newer blue horsepower". So I took him at his word, and bought a current shape XKR coupe - its a darker shade of blue than a New Holland though .

    Joking apart, as a private deal it cost about the same as a new Ford Fiesta 1.6D, but the difference is that the Fiesta is at the steepest part of its depreciation curve and the Jag is flattening out nicely (its cost the first two owners in excess of 50k). Given that its a second car and doesn't do a big milage, I'd be willing to bet that after 2 years it will have cost me less than the Fiesta in total 'cost of ownership'. It was a surprisingly easy to justify to Mrs P.

  15. #75
    Senior Member old-school's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    140

    Re: Ranger Rover Sport

    Quote Originally Posted by Panzer IV View Post

    Had the annual meeting with the accountant recently, and he said "You've had a decent year, if you wanted you could re-invest some of the profit in some newer blue horsepower". So I took him at his word, and bought a current shape XKR coupe - its a darker shade of blue than a New Holland though .

    Joking apart, as a private deal it cost about the same as a new Ford Fiesta 1.6D, but the difference is that the Fiesta is at the steepest part of its depreciation curve and the Jag is flattening out nicely (its cost the first two owners in excess of 50k). Given that its a second car and doesn't do a big milage, I'd be willing to bet that after 2 years it will have cost me less than the Fiesta in total 'cost of ownership'. It was a surprisingly easy to justify to Mrs P.
    A man with logic

  16. #76
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    307 miles from Walter P
    Posts
    446

    Re: Ranger Rover Sport

    Quote Originally Posted by Panzer IV View Post
    Given that its a second car and doesn't do a big milage, I'd be willing to bet that after 2 years it will have cost me less than the Fiesta in total 'cost of ownership'. It was a surprisingly easy to justify to Mrs P.
    Just because you pay hatchback money for a luxury car, doesn't mean you'll get hatchback running costs. That said, my Jazz must have cost the first owner a quid a mile
    Reach for the sky, climb every mountain higher.

  17. #77
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    2,820

    Re: Ranger Rover Sport

    Quote Originally Posted by Predial View Post
    Just because you pay hatchback money for a luxury car, doesn't mean you'll get hatchback running costs. That said, my Jazz must have cost the first owner a quid a mile
    In my experience if you buy a second hand car which cost someone a lot of money new you can expect repair and maintenance bills in keeping with the original sticker price. Parts in particular can be expensive; there is no GSF for people with Jags and Range Rovers, no pattern part specialists. You might get a cheap oil filter but if you want suspension bushes and exhaust components and clutches or brake bits then you will find them more expensive than running a Mondeo or a Passat.

    Your only salvation is in having far less depreciation but then more premium models don't hold their value at all well long term anyway.

    That said, if you like it, and can afford it, you might as well have it because you're only here once.

  18. #78
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NE England
    Posts
    535

    Re: Ranger Rover Sport

    With my new car and other new cars I've had , I have 2-3 years without any running costs part from fuel tyres tax ! My mate bought a 2nd hand land cruisers , great car but one or two problems not big things but had to go into the garage to get fixed ! So it's not just the expensive of the repair it's the hassle of going to the garage ! I bought last disco before he bought his motor , he told me what a waste it was to buy a brand new car . After he paid for his niggles tyres service etc I think we were on par ! Lost less than 20% on disco over two years

  19. #79
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    253

    Re: Ranger Rover Sport

    Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    In my experience if you buy a second hand car which cost someone a lot of money new you can expect repair and maintenance bills in keeping with the original sticker price. Parts in particular can be expensive; there is no GSF for people with Jags and Range Rovers, no pattern part specialists.
    I beg to differ. Last week I took it out for a run around in the good weather. Up pops the Engine Management light. Long story short, Jaguar charge 95 an hour plus VAT for reading codes etc, or you can buy an ELM327 code reader on Amazon for 16 and connect it to your iPhone via WiFi and an app for another 6. It showed up as a faulty supercharger intercooler pump - 304 from Jag plus fitting and VAT, or 83 plus VAT for the Range Rover version for the same 4.2 V8 SC engine (Bosch instead of Hella), and for fitting I downloaded the entire 3600 page Jaguar workshop manual for 16.

    Of course the hypothetical Fiesta would have it covered by warranty for at least the first 12 months. Ironically the Focus RS intercooler pump would fit the Jag too...

    You have to be a bit savvy - full Jaguar service history means everything when you sell it on, but the trick is to get everything except the fluids serviced at the village garage before Jaguar get hold of it. Brake discs are cheap as chips from the local motor factors, but hellish expensive from Jaguar. On the other hand, annual servicing is usually sub 300 from Jaguar (dependent on service, the 100k mile service is expensive). The equivevlnt service for a similar car from Aston Martin (Vantage V8) or Maserati (GT) is upwards of 2500 per year. In fact there is a small army of companies that sell Jaguar parts outside of the dealer network. Are the parts OEM? - maybe, maybe not, but they do the same job. If you don't want to risk it then thats your choice. I'm very happy with mine.

  20. #80
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    2,820

    Re: Ranger Rover Sport

    Quote Originally Posted by Panzer IV View Post
    I beg to differ. Last week I took it out for a run around in the good weather. Up pops the Engine Management light. Long story short, Jaguar charge 95 an hour plus VAT for reading codes etc, or you can buy an ELM327 code reader on Amazon for 16 and connect it to your iPhone via WiFi and an app for another 6. It showed up as a faulty supercharger intercooler pump - 304 from Jag plus fitting and VAT, or 83 plus VAT for the Range Rover version for the same 4.2 V8 SC engine (Bosch instead of Hella), and for fitting I downloaded the entire 3600 page Jaguar workshop manual for 16.

    Of course the hypothetical Fiesta would have it covered by warranty for at least the first 12 months. Ironically the Focus RS intercooler pump would fit the Jag too...

    You have to be a bit savvy - full Jaguar service history means everything when you sell it on, but the trick is to get everything except the fluids serviced at the village garage before Jaguar get hold of it. Brake discs are cheap as chips from the local motor factors, but hellish expensive from Jaguar. On the other hand, annual servicing is usually sub 300 from Jaguar (dependent on service, the 100k mile service is expensive). The equivevlnt service for a similar car from Aston Martin (Vantage V8) or Maserati (GT) is upwards of 2500 per year. In fact there is a small army of companies that sell Jaguar parts outside of the dealer network. Are the parts OEM? - maybe, maybe not, but they do the same job. If you don't want to risk it then thats your choice. I'm very happy with mine.
    That is amazing, and just goes to show how much part commonality there is between various makes and models!!

  21. #81
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    1,070

    Re: Ranger Rover Sport

    Quote Originally Posted by Panzer IV View Post
    I beg to differ. Last week I took it out for a run around in the good weather. Up pops the Engine Management light. Long story short, Jaguar charge 95 an hour plus VAT for reading codes etc, or you can buy an ELM327 code reader on Amazon for 16 and connect it to your iPhone via WiFi and an app for another 6. It showed up as a faulty supercharger intercooler pump - 304 from Jag plus fitting and VAT, or 83 plus VAT for the Range Rover version for the same 4.2 V8 SC engine (Bosch instead of Hella), and for fitting I downloaded the entire 3600 page Jaguar workshop manual for 16.

    Of course the hypothetical Fiesta would have it covered by warranty for at least the first 12 months. Ironically the Focus RS intercooler pump would fit the Jag too...

    You have to be a bit savvy - full Jaguar service history means everything when you sell it on, but the trick is to get everything except the fluids serviced at the village garage before Jaguar get hold of it. Brake discs are cheap as chips from the local motor factors, but hellish expensive from Jaguar. On the other hand, annual servicing is usually sub 300 from Jaguar (dependent on service, the 100k mile service is expensive). The equivevlnt service for a similar car from Aston Martin (Vantage V8) or Maserati (GT) is upwards of 2500 per year. In fact there is a small army of companies that sell Jaguar parts outside of the dealer network. Are the parts OEM? - maybe, maybe not, but they do the same job. If you don't want to risk it then thats your choice. I'm very happy with mine.
    Well done you! Thats the kind of thinking I like.

    About the whole expensive car story. If I had the money, (which I don't, of course), I just couldn't see myself spending large sums on a car. Now, I really loved cars as a lad, and I still do to an extent, but I suppose I'm not prepared to put my money where my mouth is. In my mid thirties, what I see ahead of me at the moment are things like building up a few quid for retirement, possibly helping two girls through Uni and then marrying them off in the traditional way, building up a decent deposit for potential land acquisition, a general contingency fund for what promises to be a bumpy ride on the new world market driven milk train, moving in a few years to the original farmhouse where you have to think in terms of 100k to do a decent large renovation, and so on. Add to it the plain fact that generally high cost/new cars are just about the worst value for money you can get, I struggle to see a time when I will ever feel it would be right for me to buy one.

    One the other hand, I fully intend to buy something nice someday that someone has lost a load of money on, but is still in perfectly good order for me.

  22. #82
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    28

    Re: Ranger Rover Sport

    wrt RR's my head says no but my heart says yes yes yes

    Not sure which one will win

  23. #83
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NE England
    Posts
    535

    Re: Ranger Rover Sport

    Go for it you only live once 👍👍

  24. #84
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    209

    Re: Ranger Rover Sport

    Quote Originally Posted by oldoaktree View Post
    Go for it you only live once 👍👍
    I quite agree. In any situation if you follow your heart you'll be happier. The head is only there to put into reality what the heart wants.

    And beside, no matter what it is in life, if you want you'll find a way to make it happen anyway.

  25. #85
    Senior Member Cowabunga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ceredigion, West Wales
    Posts
    1,221

    Re: Ranger Rover Sport

    Do as much as you can while young. I have no regrets. Ive had a few cars from Audi 90 Quattro [not the turbo rally thing], Golf GtiMk1, three new Range Rovers, BMW X5, Mercedes ML, Jaguar XK8 and various others, all driven and enjoyed by all the family.
    I continue to enjoy a nice car, but the urge to run the bigger and more expensive has gone. Don't get me wrong, I'd have a brand new Range Rover tomorrow, but I don't want it enough to pay for it or to run it. Been there. Done that. No regrets.
    Fact is, while the Land Cruiser [new in 1998] lasts, I take a certain pride in driving it and looking after it. Just as much pride as I had in its immediate chronological predecessor, the Jaguar XK8 which was my favourite car ever [but made my back ache like heck].

    Its not a matter of 'priorities' either. I think its about getting more pleasure from smaller things like a camera, a tablet, learning new things, appreciating art, colour and light, a good book, and the beauty [and horror] of life and love.

    Perhaps it boils down to age and maturity? Fairly certain that if I had not experienced the life I've had so far, that I would now be wanting the things that I've had but no longer strive for. I am comfortable among very wealthy people [far wealthier than I, because I'm not in cash or any other terms] while being seen in my 16 year old Toyota. Never been a social climber or even particularly sociable [hardly anyone in town knows or cares who I am and neither do I care who they are without a context] and couldn't give a hoot what other people think. Like[d] stuff for their engineering and form and performance, not for any social or status reasons.

    'Things' are far less important than they used to be is what I'm trying to say. Everyone has phases in their lives and if they are lucky they can do things that make those phases a fulfilling time.
    Even as you pay cash for that new 100,000 Range Rover, remember it is only a means to an end. Very nice to have and to hold but ultimately takes you from A to B comfortably, just like a Ford Focus but a bit bigger.
    The Duck 2015

  26. #86
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    14

    Re: Ranger Rover Sport


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •