Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 40

Thread: Mb trac

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Easter Ross
    Posts
    243

    Mb trac

    Hi can any body tell me why some of the big mb tracs have sliding style back windows and other have normal hinged types?

  2. #2
    Senior Member wellington53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Oconto Falls WI, USA
    Posts
    490

    Re: Mb trac

    Quote Originally Posted by Rs chunk View Post
    Hi can any body tell me why some of the big mb tracs have sliding style back windows and other have normal hinged types?
    Not just limited to the big one's, the hinged one's are mostly European stile, the sliding windows mostly exported to England.

    Anyone else want to chime in?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    208

    Re: Mb trac

    Did not know that there was an alternative to sliding windows as both of mine are sliding.

  4. #4
    Senior Member wellington53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Oconto Falls WI, USA
    Posts
    490

    Re: Mb trac

    Quote Originally Posted by renewablejohn View Post
    Did not know that there was an alternative to sliding windows as both of mine are sliding.
    Mine too (MB trac 1000) I have looked at a ton of video's
    Last edited by wellington53; 11-10-13 at 08:17 PM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Easter Ross
    Posts
    243

    Re: Mb trac

    I'm on the look out for a mb trac I fancy 1 of the larger ones 1300 or 1500 but on the other had I like the om366 engine but price wise a later mb with one of these would be a lot of money unless I would go for a 1100 but unsure how these compare to the bigger ones what's the pros and cons between the larger models compared to a 1100? I'd rather not have something that's underpowered compared to our other farm tractors

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    208

    Re: Mb trac

    I dont understand this obsession with power. My MB Trac 1000 is a straight six Merc engine which I have yet to find a task where it does not have enough grunt. Yes I do have to change down gears going up the steep hills around here but quite frankly on such narrow roads thats not a bad thing. At least I dont need to pull the diesel bowser behind me everywhere I go unlike some modern tractors.

  7. #7
    Senior Member wellington53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Oconto Falls WI, USA
    Posts
    490

    Re: Mb trac

    Quote Originally Posted by renewablejohn View Post
    I dont understand this obsession with power. My MB Trac 1000 is a straight six Merc engine which I have yet to find a task where it does not have enough grunt. Yes I do have to change down gears going up the steep hills around here but quite frankly on such narrow roads thats not a bad thing. At least I dont need to pull the diesel bowser behind me everywhere I go unlike some modern tractors.
    The only thing the 1000 MB trac is torque, grunt down to 1500rpm and won't come back up!
    Last edited by wellington53; 12-10-13 at 07:32 PM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Easter Ross
    Posts
    243

    Re: Mb trac

    Okay al maybe word it another way has any got both a mb1000/1100 and a larger 1300/1500 or driven both what's your opinions I like the look of the larger ones but what's the better to drive machine I have a 6930 jd and a 2140 jd and like driving both so power ain't really a big thing but nice at times

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    697

    Re: Mb trac

    Quote Originally Posted by Rs chunk View Post
    Hi can any body tell me why some of the big mb tracs have sliding style back windows and other have normal hinged types?
    If you have a demount sprayer you can still open back window with sliding type for some fresh air.

  10. #10
    Senior Member wellington53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Oconto Falls WI, USA
    Posts
    490

    Re: Mb trac

    Quote Originally Posted by Rs chunk View Post
    Okay al maybe word it another way has any got both a mb1000/1100 and a larger 1300/1500 or driven both what's your opinions I like the look of the larger ones but what's the better to drive machine I have a 6930 jd and a 2140 jd and like driving both so power ain't really a big thing but nice at times
    I only have an MB trac 1000 but driving any MB trac in a nutshell, first thing I thought when I sat in one was was ''christ, bloody wide bonnet, almost reminds me of our crawler'' also, on the road, like driving a lorry with air splitter, air hand brake etc, doing land work, ploughing/discing, you almost have to select a gear and and stay in it, no dual power just the splitter, means you have to depress the clutch to activate, not good. All in all, lovely to drive with super nice gear shifting and big quiet cab.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    208

    Re: Mb trac

    Quote Originally Posted by wellington53 View Post
    I only have an MB trac 1000 but driving any MB trac in a nutshell, first thing I thought when I sat in one was was ''christ, bloody wide bonnet, almost reminds me of our crawler'' also, on the road, like driving a lorry with air splitter, air hand brake etc, doing land work, ploughing/discing, you almost have to select a gear and and stay in it, no dual power just the splitter, means you have to depress the clutch to activate, not good. All in all, lovely to drive with super nice gear shifting and big quiet cab.
    Agree with all of that. I have two MB Trac 1000's a normal central cab MB Trac and a Forward Control all wheel steer MB Trac. Only downside with normal MB Trac is large turning circle which you really notice when driving the Forward Control as you can turn it on a sixpence being All Wheel Steer. Options on all wheel steer are crab steer, co-ordinated steer and forward only steer. Co-ordinated being particularly useful for towing trailers around tight corners and crab steer on forest tracks where you dont want to create ruts by having front and rear wheels in the same track. Downside of forward control is not being able to see lining up implements and having the cab right at the front does take a bit of getting used to. Also it is so nice to have air con in a tractor of 1985 vintage.

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    9

    Re: Mb trac

    Quote Originally Posted by Rs chunk View Post
    Hi can any body tell me why some of the big mb tracs have sliding style back windows and other have normal hinged types?

    As far as I know, the sliding back windows are the norm for the big MB trac (1300, 1500, etc) but where the tractor is the reverse-drive model, then the window hinges at the top.

    For anyone who is not familiar, in the reverse-drive models you can spin the entire control console; i.e. the driver's seat, the steering wheel and the dash console, right around to face the rear, which was designed for the use of reverse-drive forage harvesters, etc. I don't know if the smaller models (1000, 1100 or 700, 800, 900) came with hinging rear windows; I thought they only had sliding windows because none of them are reverse-drive tractors.

    My brother has a 1985 1300 model but we don't have any of the smaller ones. Test-drove a couple but haven't bought one (yet!).


    The main differences between the large models (1300 and larger) and all the others:

    Speed: large models are usually geared to do about 40mph/65kph whereas small ones do 40kph. If you want to drive the large ones at top speed on the road, they should be fitted with appropriate high-speed tyres; e.g. the ones on my brother's 1300 are "Pirelli TM 700 520/70 R30 HIGH SPEED" with speed/weight rating 147D (144|E). Then again, if it's taxed and insured as an agricultural vehicle, it shouldn't be driven on public roads at over 50kph anyway, right?

    Gearbox: large models have an 8-speed gearbox (sometimes 8th is blocked to reduce top speed) with an 'air-gate' that allows the same four gears to be used in two different ratios (i.e. gears 1, 2, 3 and 4 become 5, 6, 7 and 8). This can take some getting used to! Smaller models have a 4-speed gearbox with a splitter on each gear (the pre-select type: you move the splitter and the next time you use the clutch, the gearbox shifts the gear itself).

    Engines: large models all have 6 cylinder turbo engines. The 1100 model also has a 6 cylinder turbo engine, so it arguably has the best ratio of power to size/weight and this probably explains why they seem to be a very popular model on the second hand market. The 1000 has a non-turbo 6 cylinder engine. The smaller models all have 4 cylinder engines, with later 900 models having a 4 cylinder turbo engine.

    All MB tracs have front suspension and large, passenger-friendly cabs, so they are all quite comfortable to drive.

    I found that the large models have a surprisingly good turning circle for such a large machine, as their front axle is quite far back on the chassis.

  13. #13
    Senior Member wellington53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Oconto Falls WI, USA
    Posts
    490

    Re: Mb trac

    Quote Originally Posted by ntbrenna View Post
    As far as I know, the sliding back windows are the norm for the big MB trac (1300, 1500, etc) but where the tractor is the reverse-drive model, then the window hinges at the top.
    ntbrenna, I don't claim to be a know it all on MB tracs but I do know that some small models do have the rear window hinged at the top. What I would really like to know is why did Mercedes not export their tractors to the US when they are happy to export the Unimog. No one seems to know.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Easter Ross
    Posts
    243

    Re: Mb trac

    How exactly does the gear change work on the larger ones do you go up through the gears then when you get to 4th do you go back to first like on a lorry by flicking a switch and it then 1st becomes 5th or something different? Am undecided what I'd be better buying a 1000/1100 or a 1300/1500 the small ones would be less clumsy but I like the look of the larger ones and the fact they are fast on the road. Not that al be doing much with it I just fancy one for a toy/ working project.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Spotty Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    342

    Re: Mb trac

    I have a 900 turbo with a demount sprayer and it will not do 40k on standard 24 inch wheels -only about 30 i think. I run it permanently on 12.4/36 row crops now and it will do 40k on these.
    Nice to drive certainly, but no room to stretch your legs when your old knees start to ache !
    Last edited by Spotty Dog; 18-10-13 at 09:45 PM.

  16. #16
    Senior Member JimF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North Cumbria
    Posts
    772

    Re: Mb trac

    I'd love one of these but at moment I haven't time to do my own spraying and have a good contractor.


  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    208

    Re: Mb trac

    This is my forward control adapted for forestry
    Attached Images Attached Images

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Easter Ross
    Posts
    243

    Re: Mb trac

    We're the forward controls converted by someone or did they come new like that!

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    208

    Re: Mb trac

    Going off the parts records held by mercedes I would say they where factory made like this although I am having difficulty finding a handbrake cable as its not on the merc records.

  20. #20
    Senior Member wellington53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Oconto Falls WI, USA
    Posts
    490

    Re: Mb trac

    Quote Originally Posted by renewablejohn View Post
    This is my forward control adapted for forestry
    You like that machine don't you

  21. #21
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    9

    Re: Mb trac

    Quote Originally Posted by wellington53 View Post
    What I would really like to know is why did Mercedes not export their tractors to the US when they are happy to export the Unimog. No one seems to know.
    You have me beat! I haven't heard/read much about where Mercedes exported the MB tracs to. I'm pretty sure they exported them as far afield as South Africa and Australia but I don't know why they didn't approach the American market.

    I assume they would have done some market research on the likeliness of sales success and maybe it wasn't promising (for example, based on a high price?). Or maybe they never ramped up production enough to supply machines to such a large market before they eventually decided to cancel production altogether.

    I'd love to know more about how & why they decided to cease production as well.

  22. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    9

    Re: Mb trac

    Quote Originally Posted by Rs chunk View Post
    How exactly does the gear change work on the larger ones do you go up through the gears then when you get to 4th do you go back to first like on a lorry by flicking a switch and it then 1st becomes 5th or something different?
    Yeah, that's prettymuch how it works.

    Anytime I've driven the 1300 on the road, I started in either 3rd gear (with a decent load on) or 4th gear (unloaded) and changed up to 5th quite quickly because there isn't much speed in 4th anyway. You can't select any of the gears 5 through 8 without already being in lower gears, so you have to start in one of the lower 4 gears and change up through the 'gate' when already moving. I just realised that it's kinda hard to explain in writing now that I'm trying to do so.....

    Like I said in my first post, the changing between 1-4 and 5-8 gears takes a bit of getting used to. It's basically two separate motions with the same gear stick. For example, when in 3rd or 4th gear and you want to select, say, 5th - you move the gear stick to neutral and then motion to the far right - this allows you to access the 5th and 6th gears. When in 5th or 6th you can select 7th (or 8th if available on the machine) in the normal way.

    The same process applies in reverse when you want to change down to, say, 3rd or 4th from the higher gears. I hope this is making sense! Once you've driven one a few times, you get used to it quickly enough.

  23. #23
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    9

    Re: Mb trac

    Quote Originally Posted by Spotty Dog View Post
    I have a 900 turbo with a demount sprayer and it will not do 40k on standard 24 inch wheels -only about 30 i think. I run it permanently on 11.2/36 row crops now and it will do 40k on these.
    MB tracs can be a bit odd like that - people put different sized wheels on them and get different top speeds, which makes sense, obviously.

    But different-engined models of the same chassis-type came with different wheel & tyre sizes from the factory, which implies they must have had different top speeds from the outset but I never saw any information relating to the different speeds. The only way they could've matched the speeds would be to gear them differently and I don't think they did that.

    For example, the 1300s came with 30 inch rims and the 1500 came with 34 inch rims. If the 1500 achieved 40mph/65kph, then I imagine the 1300 would have achieved a good bit less on it's much smaller wheels.

    Just to confuse matters, my brother's 1300 is on 30 inch rims but seems to be faster than the maximum rated 40mph top speed. That must have something to do with the engine change, so maybe it revs a lot higher than the old engine. But I'd even believe the gearing was changed on it too. We'll probably never know for sure!

  24. #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    9

    Re: Mb trac

    Quote Originally Posted by Rs chunk View Post
    Am undecided what I'd be better buying a 1000/1100 or a 1300/1500 the small ones would be less clumsy but I like the look of the larger ones and the fact they are fast on the road. Not that al be doing much with it I just fancy one for a toy/ working project.
    Smaller ones a bit less clumsy for sure but as long as you don't go down to the 4 cylinder models, there's not a huge difference between the big ones and the 'medium' ones. The 1100 might be the best trade off between size and power and if you don't like the gearbox of the big ones, you'd be safer sticking to the 1000/1100 models.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    208

    Re: Mb trac

    Quote Originally Posted by wellington53 View Post
    You like that machine don't you
    Yes. In a woodland environment it is brilliant. The skip on the back is demountable then with the addition of a 3 point crane it becomes a self contained forwarder getting into places you would find difficult with a trailer. We can also drag a 9 tonne forwarding trailer behind to pull out approx 12 tonne at a time. For road work we attach a drawbar trailer on air allowing us to run at the max 24 tonne GVW.
    At present saving for a replacement WF Trac

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    nearer to happiness and steel
    Posts
    110

    Re: Mb trac

    Quote Originally Posted by renewablejohn View Post
    Going off the parts records held by mercedes I would say they where factory made like this although I am having difficulty finding a handbrake cable as its not on the merc records.
    01430 424233
    john ring tony at south cave tractors give him the serial number ,should know about it , is it a south cave conversion , or an early lancaster conversion

  27. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    162

    Re: Mb trac

    You want one of these
    Attached Images Attached Images

  28. #28
    Senior Member wellington53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Oconto Falls WI, USA
    Posts
    490

    Re: Mb trac

    Quote Originally Posted by moffett View Post
    You want one of these
    Freaking AWESOME!

  29. #29
    Senior Member JimF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North Cumbria
    Posts
    772

    Re: Mb trac

    Quote Originally Posted by wellington53 View Post
    Freaking AWESOME!
    Too bling maybe. This is though!


  30. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    nearer to happiness and steel
    Posts
    110

    Re: Mb trac

    Quote Originally Posted by moffett View Post
    You want one of these
    n that is a doppstatt


    @jim f there is a 1000 ,1500 and the only 1800 in the uk not far from you .

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •