Thread: My home made direct drill

My home made direct drill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsiQLDpf-_M

What do you think?

Dont laugh. I know its a bit crude (especially the weights) but i'll give it a good paint job when and if the crop's looking good.

Re: My home made direct drill

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmouth Strikes Again View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsiQLDpf-_M

What do you think?

Dont laugh. I know its a bit crude (especially the weights) but i'll give it a good paint job when and if the crop's looking good.

That looks like a bloody brilliant bean drill. More pics please, what legs etc?
    If in doubt get a bigger hammer

Quote Originally Posted by Badshot View Post
    That looks like a bloody brilliant bean drill. More pics please, what legs etc?
    Haha. When it first went in the ground i thought 'i bet that'll plant beans well'.

It's still a bit of a work in progress. I just drilled 10ha to see how it'll work. I'm going to move the wheels to lift the frame to stop trash building up against it and lift the legs so the seed doesn't go in as far. And i'm going to need some markers (or invest in autosteer).

The green shoots are just poking through so i'll post a photo when (if) there all up.

I've used simba LD legs with a drill boot from spaldings welded on. I've not bothered with the wings, thought they'd be a bit much, but we'll see...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmouth Strikes Again View Post
    Haha. When it first went in the ground i thought 'i bet that'll plant beans well'.

It's still a bit of a work in progress. I just drilled 10ha to see how it'll work. I'm going to move the wheels to lift the frame to stop trash building up against it and lift the legs so the seed doesn't go in as far. And i'm going to need some markers (or invest in autosteer).

The green shoots are just poking through so i'll post a photo when (if) there all up.

I've used simba LD legs with a drill boot from spaldings welded on. I've not bothered with the wings, thought they'd be a bit much, but we'll see...

I'll be interested to see how you progress.

What are the oil drums for?

Quote Originally Posted by Thick Farmer View Post
    What are the oil drums for?
    Thats his weights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=46X8mpmfaIw

bigmouth
    took this link from your youtube video page,
    have always thought this could be done to a horsch co to make it into a dd,
    basically adding a row of straight discs in front of the duet coulters.
    Has anyone tried it or have any thoughts on whether it would work.
    discuss.

Any photos of legs and seed boots?

Quote Originally Posted by JimJackson View Post
    Any photos of legs and seed boots?
    yes i would like to see leg and boot please , looks a good idea ,
    it is just me take me as i am

Hi
    Basically, It hasn't worked very well.

Firstly, the seed went in too deep and struggled to emerge. Then the slugs had a go. I've pelleted it 3 times (1.5% at 5kg/ha) but without burying any straw they just thrived. Mr Claydons fields must be carpeted blue after drilling...

Here's a photo of the legs but i'm going to modify them so i can adjust the seed depth without changing the leg depth.

I didnt bother putting the wings on the LD legs, they did enough without them.

I thought i might rip off the design of the Weaving Saber drill's legs, i quite like the design. A couple of bits of piping, one with a larger diameter than the other, and some welding should sort it ok.

I haven't taken any photos of the crop close up, to depressing, but here's a photo of some of my fields, see if you can guess which one i direct drilled...

I'm going to try again next year but certainly arnt going to rush out and buy a very expensive direct drill, the other fields were min tilled with a simba dtx then drilled with a Weaving tine drill and on tricky soils that i used to plough, it work's well.

did u rake the straw like claydon insists?? that's my only thought on what may help and a stronger plant would grow past them quicker? As you say they struggled from day one from too deep a seed depth. I think with some tinkering u are on the right track!

I think you need to have the wings at your seed outlet depth and have the seed blowing to both sides of the slot to stop it from falling down the slot and getting too deep. Otherwise I really like it, and it would be perfect for beans as it is without the wings at all. Nice neat single tine solution