Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vintage match plough?

Re: Vintage match plough?

Ransomes were bought by electrolux and changed colour to red and also went under the banner of OVERUM now the plough name gone altogether

What's the Ransomes and Dowdeswell connection? Sone Dowdeswell ploughs use Ransomed bodies and frogs etc.
    Ond lle bu'r arad' ar y ffridd Yn rhywgo'r gwanwyn pr o'r pridd

Quote Originally Posted by Mur Huwcun View Post
    What's the Ransomes and Dowdeswell connection? Sone Dowdeswell ploughs use Ransomed bodies and frogs etc.
    That was an agreement between Roger Dowdeswell and Ransomes when Roger started. He also used the Ransome SN skim which, while it was a decent skim, it used to wear very quickly. I was in the Dowdy yard one day talking to Roger when a Ransomes artic. full of stillages with Ransome parts was being delivered. Roger said to me that if Ransomes had listened to their customers he would never have built the business that he did. They just wouldn't build what the customer wanted. Roger could see this and the rest is history.

He eventually bought his foundry and started to produce new bodies, skims, and all the rest. Brilliant bloke and a born engineer.

If someone wants to buy my Ransomes three-furrow with EPIC metal I would be truly grateful. If you want to cut it up after that is your choice.......
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3709138435...84.m1586.l2649
    The things that come to those who wait, are things left by those who got there first!

Quote Originally Posted by Howard_S View Post
    If someone wants to buy my Ransomes three-furrow with EPIC metal I would be truly grateful. If you want to cut it up after that is your choice.......
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3709138435...84.m1586.l2649
    It says that we can make you an offer Howard. Well here's mine. I will come and take it away for you and you pay me one hundred of your best English pounds.

Yours sarcastically,

The man who looks very grumpy in a tractor cab in the article by Peter Hill that you recently re-discovered.

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    It says that we can make you an offer Howard. Well here's mine. I will come and take it away for you and you pay me one hundred of your best English pounds.

Yours sarcastically,

The man who looks very grumpy in a tractor cab in the article by Peter Hill that you recently re-discovered.
    If only I had 100 of those British pounds! I will bare it in mind
    The things that come to those who wait, are things left by those who got there first!

Quote Originally Posted by Howard_S View Post
    If only I had 100 of those British pounds! I will bare it in mind
    I am concerned about your spelling of "bare" Howard. People will get the wrong idea. or was it a freudian slip ?

I am concerned about your spelling of "bare" Howard. People will get the wrong idea. or was it a freudian slip ?
    I never knew we were that close, so yes a slip of the keyboard!

Quote Originally Posted by wellington53 View Post
    Why?

Although UCN and SCN boards were in production during the designated "classic" period the society of ploughmen do not allow these mouldboards into the classic class, the classic class is basically for ploughmen to exercise their Ransomes TS 86 match ploughs that are no longer competitive in the open world style class, the 86 was fitted with either TCN or RWM boards that are both allowed in the classic class

Quote Originally Posted by Ploughman 1959 View Post
    Although UCN and SCN boards were in production during the designated "classic" period the society of ploughmen do not allow these mouldboards into the classic class, the classic class is basically for ploughmen to exercise their Ransomes TS 86 match ploughs that are no longer competitive in the open world style class, the 86 was fitted with either TCN or RWM boards that are both allowed in the classic class
    I have only ever been in 2 ploughing matches in my life, both 40-ish years ago. It isn't for me. But surely you wouldn't want to plough in a match with SCN ? You would have to drop a UCN board in a bit to get the best out of it as well.

I have only ever been in 2 ploughing matches in my life, both 40-ish years ago. It isn't for me.
    What went wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by wellington53 View Post
    What went wrong?
    I didn't win so ran home to Mum, that's what went wrong ! Seriously though, I was persuaded to go into my 1st match by my employer when I was 16 when I had never ploughed a furrow. I was blinged up with an IHB275 and a Fergy plough. But the plough was rusty and it didn't have any skims on so I was up the creek before I started. I did actually get commended on my straight furrows but but only because the judges could see me about to break out in tears and they took pity on me.

My 2nd match was with a Y base Fergy plough which we used on the large arable farm where I worked in my late teens. Anyone know what a Y base is ? It is/was a digger body with bar points. And a gurt big skim that would bury anything (almost). I buried everything alright but my ins and out were not good, neither was my cop, my finish wasn't brilliant either. Apart from those few incidentals I made a brilliant job and should have been awarded the top prize. But there was no accolade whatsoever so I said sod it. If they don't need me then I don't need them.

I have only ever been in 2 ploughing matches in my life, both 40-ish years ago. It isn't for me. But surely you wouldn't want to plough in a match with SCN ? You would have to drop a UCN board in a bit to get the best out of it as well.
    Similar story but in my case only entered once, had to borrow a tractor & brand new 3 furrow Kvernland plough, no idea about body types, so spent a couple of hours with paint remover, tape measure and a couple of spanners on friday evening and got to sit in my first IH Q cab with the side gear shift levers.

Milked and fed round on sat morning, arrived late so got the last plot of 20 available, finished first and had to go straight back home to milk. Found out later that the guy who came 1st was using his dad's match plough and later that year represented Yorkshire at the nationals.

I came 2nd and met a girl who went on to become my wife for 28 years.

Not a bad day all told but I just couldn't get bitten by the match ploughing bug.

Quote Originally Posted by Courier View Post
    I came 2nd and met a girl who went on to become my wife for 28 years.
    So you won the only prize worth having then. Good for you.

I mentioned a Y base Fergy plough. Here's one. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-furrow-m...item25843512b8

HOWARD S. Your plough is neither a Ransomes or a TS59.

Quote Originally Posted by colhonk View Post
    It is a Ford-Ransomes PM3, designed and built to fit the Fordson E27N along with the Ford-Ransomes Elite trailed ploughs and loads of other FR implements.

the story is that the chaps designing the PM ploughs had one of these to look at http://www.cheffins.co.uk/lot/-322618-vintage-0 the similarities in the frame are obvious. I bet ford didn't mention that at the time though

Quote Originally Posted by colhonk View Post
    Yes you are right colhonk, it has a later TS59 depth wheel on it though i believe, as Track-Marshall says it is a Fordson Ransomes.