Thread: Luck money

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Luck money

Went to Bakewell market last week & bought a couple of pens of shearlings. Sellers gave me a fiver & a tenner for luck. My townie friend who was with me was puzzled & wanted to know why sellers give money back. I found I couldn't explain it very well. Does anyone know how this started or when? I assume it's just an old tradition/supperstion, & happens all over the country. Do other countries do this? Like to hear your thoughts.

Re: Luck money

Quote Originally Posted by Sheeplad View Post
    Went to Bakewell market last week & bought a couple of pens of shearlings. Sellers gave me a fiver & a tenner for luck. My townie friend who was with me was puzzled & wanted to know why sellers give money back. I found I couldn't explain it very well. Does anyone know how this started or when? I assume it's just an old tradition/supperstion, & happens all over the country. Do other countries do this? Like to hear your thoughts.
    It happens in Wales. Anything from a couple of quid to a tenner. No idea where it started. Bit dated now perhaps ??
    Come and stay in the Welsh hills, http://www.holidaycambriancoast.co.uk/

If I was selling something I'd give luck money. Buying I'd like it but not expect it. At auctions I wouldn't entertain it.

we call it "a luck penny" can be from 2 up depending on the price of the deal, usually capped at 20 or there abouts

Doesn't happen here but...back when we were farming in Lincs all the local markets did this, most are gone now I believe.

Very common in Ireland 5 to 20 for any decent ram. Never given on ewes though. Is it common to give luck for ewes?

Luck should be given on all breeding sheep rams or ewes usually 5 or 20 if a ram makes a gd price

Common here, especially among the older folks. Maybe not if you buy a small number of sheep or something - more for big purchases. Not just livestock either, guy we bought an old tractor from gave us a "luck penny" of a tenner. (It's usually a tenner.) Not just private sales. Bought one cow from a batch of a dozen or so put through the ring one at a time, at Oban mart last autumn. After the sale the guy who'd sold them all was running about with a wad of cash looking for all the people to make sure everyone had had their money.

as i see it , it was usually the shepherd or agent from some estate or another actually buying the sheep/ ram in years gone by , the landlord actually paying for them , and this was a "drink or tip " for the agent for buying your stock hoping he will remember next year and push the value up a little through the ring , about 1 per hundred maybe more depending who it is doing the buying .and value of the trade .

Scotland, land of the free home of the brave

Luck Money is what it says luck, good fortune or a guarantee that the goods/animals have been sold in good faith and if you like a bond given by the seller that they are genuine. Such custom extends to putting silver into a newborn childs hand to give 'luck' to the giver and luck/fortune to the child.
    Was beginning to be abused esp. at Lanark dairy sales where buyers would fault cattle if not enough given. Traditionally a token amount, couple of quid.
    Its also a good way of breaking the ice with buyers so hopefully they will buy more stock in the future.

Problem is that increasingly people bring it in to the deal to negotiate the price down, "Well at that price I'll need twenty pound for luck" and such like.

Which is completely missing the point, it's a gesture of good will and wishing the person good luck with their purchase if they've been straight and decent with you, not about the monetary value at all. Somebody hassling me for a luck penny pretty much ensures they won't get one, not in the true sense anyway because obviously they just don't get the idea of what it's about and it'd be lost on them anyway.

Sold a car to a townie once and after the deal had been done and because he'd been pretty straight and fair, I took a pound coin out of my pocket, spat on it (not actually of-course, just the noise and motion) and reached my hand out till him. He was totally mystified what was going on so I had to explain the entire process to him and it's significance, but he took it on-board and was actually very impressed with it as a gesture of goodwill from me towards him, which is what it's all about.

Probably a dying tradition, but definitely shouldn't be!

Quote Originally Posted by wrsni View Post
    Problem is that increasingly people bring it in to the deal to negotiate the price down, "Well at that price I'll need twenty pound for luck" and such like.

Which is completely missing the point, it's a gesture of good will and wishing the person good luck with their purchase if they've been straight and decent with you, not about the monetary value at all. Somebody hassling me for a luck penny pretty much ensures they won't get one, not in the true sense anyway because obviously they just don't get the idea of what it's about and it'd be lost on them anyway.

Sold a car to a townie once and after the deal had been done and because he'd been pretty straight and fair, I took a pound coin out of my pocket, spat on it (not actually of-course, just the noise and motion) and reached my hand out till him. He was totally mystified what was going on so I had to explain the entire process to him and it's significance, but he took it on-board and was actually very impressed with it as a gesture of goodwill from me towards him, which is what it's all about.

Probably a dying tradition, but definitely shouldn't be!
    If a buyer asks for luck money then I don't give them f*** all ! It's a bloody cheek. As said above it's a good will gesture that should be appreciated but not expected. I will always give a bit as long as I'm not asked for it though.
    Come and stay in the Welsh hills, http://www.holidaycambriancoast.co.uk/

I have had it the other way round at a breeding sheep sale a couple of weeks ago, the seller collared me and said he would give me 10% back as luck. Don't think I would be the only one but it sure generated a bit of competition . Too rich for me in the end but he probably got his 10% back and more !

If it's genuine then ok but from what I have seen I don't really agree with it.
    It is given regularly at livestock sales round here. But basically it has nothing to do with luck. It's just an encouraging gesture to get people to pay more money for their livestock. The luck money usually doesn't get offered till the livestock reach a certain price.
    Perhaps it's sometimes genuine luck money but very rarely.

Years ago, at my first ever mart, I sold a couple of cows. Afterwards the bloke who bought them came up to me and asked me for luck. I said good luck and shook his hand . I didn't know I was supposed to give him some money - never have understood it myself.

If an amount of money is brought in to the deal as either "luck money" or a "luck penny" then it's actually neither as it simply becomes part of the deal. The luck penny is outside of the deal agreed, it's a unilateral gesture on the part of the seller, mentioned in any other respect is just disrespectful of the concept.

Similarly is the buyer asking for one (as described above!).