Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Luck money

Re: Luck money

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    Luck money is a combination of bribery, corruption and tax evasion. I never give it, on principle. But I mostly sell calves and barren cows. Doesn't stop our calves being in the top three price in the mart more often than not and top of the mart probably in one mart in three on average. That despite just unloading the calves and coming straight home every single time.

If I was selling fatstock, I would probably have to be sucked in to the corruption and tax evasion [by dealers who fill their pockets with undeclared cash].
    not wishing to sound big headed but if your calves go to The wonder mart that is Tregaron, being top of the mart isn't that hard

Quote Originally Posted by rc mx110 View Post
    not wishing to sound big headed but if your calves go to The wonder mart that is Tregaron, being top of the mart isn't that hard
    Not taken stock to Tregaron in at least 20 years, probably more like 30 years. And never personally. It was my father's job.
    © The Duck 2015

Not taken stock to Tregaron in at least 20 years, probably more like 30 years. And never personally. It was my father's job.
    Fair play to you, Can't for the life of me work out why anyone takes any thing appart from suckler stores there

Quote Originally Posted by rc mx110 View Post
    Fair play to you, Can't for the life of me work out why anyone takes any thing appart from suckler stores there
    A lot of cattle from North Ceredigion going up to Dolgellau. How about south of the county ? NCE or Cardigan ?

Where's the best place to sell calves ? Carmarthen ?
    Come and stay in the Welsh hills, http://www.holidaycambriancoast.co.uk/

Be interesting to hear from an auctioneer about this issue.
    If they are seeing stock selling for less than it should just because no luck money then I don't think they are doing their best for the vendor.

Quote Originally Posted by DBJ View Post
    A lot of cattle from North Ceredigion going up to Dolgellau. How about south of the county ? NCE or Cardigan ?

Where's the best place to sell calves ? Carmarthen ?
    Yes Carmarthen is the only place I would considet taking calves

First time I bought ewes I was met by the seller as I left the mart & he handed me a wedge of fivers saying "here's a bit of luck" I was entirely bemused at the time but appreciated the gesture. Haven't had it happen again.

Luck money is a combination of bribery, corruption and tax evasion. I never give it, on principle. But I mostly sell calves and barren cows. Doesn't stop our calves being in the top three price in the mart more often than not and top of the mart probably in one mart in three on average. That despite just unloading the calves and coming straight home every single time.

If I was selling fatstock, I would probably have to be sucked in to the corruption and tax evasion [by dealers who fill their pockets with undeclared cash].
    An older farming friend of mine told me if he was asked for "luck" he would request a receipt as he had been the subject of an in-depth tax inspection and consequently had to account for every penny he spent! Saved him a fortune he reckoned

Quote Originally Posted by jamesy View Post
    First time I bought ewes I was met by the seller as I left the mart & he handed me a wedge of fivers saying "here's a bit of luck" I was entirely bemused at the time but appreciated the gesture. Haven't had it happen again.
    Looks like you overpaid in the first place. Really is a silly practice!

The concept of Luck money may have originated in the practice of good animal husbandry.

Centuries ago, it would be many months or years between sheep and cattle traders meeting market and their animals could have been driven some distance.

Clearly the farmers wanted to drive a hard bargain, but once the deal had been done, attitudes would soften. The seller would point out which animals may not be 100%.

and would then pay some luck money as a good will gesture. This would compensate for any problems and would leave the buyer more inclined to do business again in the future.

Called Luck money because if his luck as “In” then the animal survived and he got a bonus, and his luck was “Out” he was at least compenstated a kind of early insurance.

Thus I believe its origins are about trustworthy business practice and creating goodwill. The essence of luck money is that it should be volunteered and not requested.

Had this explained to me by a chap who used to be an agent at Ross on Wye , emigrated here & bought a farm . In this country if someone asked for it it would mean a visit from the police. I can see how it is a custom over there but not here.

I was in local market a few years ago and bought some store bullocks from one farmer I spoke to him after the sale and suggested a bit of luck penny would be useful, he more or less said to run on.
    The following week he was back selling and I was buying needless to say my hands remained firmly in my pockets. Whilst it wouldn't have helped the cattle it's a bit of goodwill, would have bought a fish supper and he'd have got it all back and more the next time.

I bought a cheap equine last year and when the carrier dropped it off there was £10 tucked in the back of the passport with the reciept.