Thread: Decent LED torch

Decent LED torch

Batteries in the old Mag-Lite torches are dying and have decided rather than buy another pile of batteries for the old torches I will treat myself to a decent LED torch which will probably pay for itself in the first year with the savings on batteries. Question is what do the forum recommend? Looking for something that will go out a fair bit (100m+) and not too heavy. I've had a troll through Ebay but all too much for my little brain to understand watts, lumens etc. any advice gratefully received

Re: Decent LED torch

Get yourself one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UltraFire-...item4856f78af4

Iv got 2 of them, unbelieveable value for money. Iv a 3D Maglite and these LED torches are tiny compared to it, fir in your pocket easy, and twice as powerful - and run off 3xAAA batteries which last alot longer too.

Personally - on Ebay - ignore the Lumen 'claims'. I dont think many of the Chinese torches have a standardised measurement. Just be sure they are frigging bright!
    If in doubt, yank it out!

The local gamekeeper had a sort of LED spotlight clipped on the handlebars of their quad, it was only small and had a beam you could focus narrow and very bright or wider for a floodlight effect.
    Presume it plugged in the 12V socket - anyone know what this might be?

Absolute minefield. I've got three different LED torches now, one mounted on the scope of the rifle for bunny control, one I keep in the workshop as an inspection lamp either with or without a diffuser, and one which I got recently to replace the torch on my phone when I changed it.

If you want to save money on batteries go for AA and buy decent rechargeables for it, the torch nerds will tell you this is wrong but they're talking bollocks as they appear to base their judgement on buying a torch and shining it at a blank wall in the house or possibly the first tree they encounter outdoors, if they actually used the things they'd find out that AA is the way to go.

For a lot of outdoor use, something with a low power setting is good as it extends battery life hugely while still being very useable but unfortunately most of the torches have "multi mode" functions which give the impression of being a pain, try and get something with just a "high" and a "low". Also bear in mind that it's still all very new technology and some of the stuff is pretty ropey, for example the torch I use on the scope of the rifle is very good for that particular job because it has a zoom in to a very narrow bright beam, but zoom it out and it's a completely useless torch, for whatever reason there's a big hole in the middle of the beam and you can see nothing with it, so it just stays on the rifle.

Good luck!

A torch that uses the common rechargeable Li-on 18650 battery would be a good choice. Buy a couple of batteries and a charger off ebay..then get a decent torch that uses them. A Fenix TK11 or TK15 would be my choice, built like tanks, variable power up to about 280 Lumens, compact, waterproof and easy to use..

Mike

Have just bought a Led lenser h7r headtorch, arrived yesterday, so not had much time to play with it, but using it last night I am well impressed !
    Ok it was 38 +vat but it comes with a 5 yr warranty, have bought enough cheap head lamps over the years to justify this one.
    Copies can be bought on ebay, but no idea of the quality, as the saying goes you get what you pay for !

Quote Originally Posted by happy hillbily View Post
    Have just bought a Led lenser h7r headtorch, arrived yesterday, so not had much time to play with it, but using it last night I am well impressed !
    Ok it was 38 +vat but it comes with a 5 yr warranty, have bought enough cheap head lamps over the years to justify this one.
    Copies can be bought on ebay, but no idea of the quality, as the saying goes you get what you pay for !
    Just be carefull with the lead they can break
    ive got 2 here and both been replaced under warrenty which i think is lifetime unless recently changed
    i use rechargeble batrerys in mine
    i also bought a aa led conversion for my mini maglite
    now thars a serious improvement

Had one of these for lambing this year:
    Lighthouse led torch L/H 30LEDEXT2
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lighthouse...-/390480718684
    Shine 100+m no prob.
    Rechargable.
    Magnetic clamp, so useful in workshop too.
    Fairly robust - so far!
    22 on ebay.

What do you want it for?

If it's for general use:

http://dx.com/p/fandyfire-stl-v6-cree-xm-lt6-2-mode-1000-lumen-white-led-flashlight-2x18650-3x16340-3x123a-91137

Get one of the above, goes well over 100m, takes two rechargeable 18650 batteries, buy them and the charger on Ebay. High & low setting and the ever useless strobe.

Try Hong kong- deal extreme, will take a while to get here but they have some great led torches cheap, reviews also

Quote Originally Posted by Nithsdale Farmer View Post
    Get yourself one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UltraFire-...item4856f78af4

Iv got 2 of them, unbelieveable value for money. Iv a 3D Maglite and these LED torches are tiny compared to it, fir in your pocket easy, and twice as powerful - and run off 3xAAA batteries which last alot longer too.

Personally - on Ebay - ignore the Lumen 'claims'. I dont think many of the Chinese torches have a standardised measurement. Just be sure they are frigging bright!
    what do you want it for? If hunting, look at a green light... You don't have to pay the world either... Just about all of them are made in china so may as well just go to the source... I've got three in different sizes including clamp and remote switch, a AAA adapter, 3 18650 batteries and a charger and have less than 60 euro in all.....
    Be your self and speak your mind. Them that matter won't mind and the others don't matter

Quote Originally Posted by daven View Post
    what do you want it for? If hunting, look at a green light... You don't have to pay the world either... Just about all of them are made in china so may as well just go to the source... I've got three in different sizes including clamp and remote switch, a AAA adapter, 3 18650 batteries and a charger and have less than 60 euro in all.....
    I just need it as a GP torch. Probably wont be used for hunting as such, will use it when out walking the dog at night and it is useful to have a torch with a decent range to find out what is running around of an evening (4 legs or 2) and I already have a lamp on the rifle anyway. Mag-lite(s) have been great but recognise that I can probably get a much more powerful but physically smaller torch by going LED + better battery life.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
    I just need it as a GP torch. Probably wont be used for hunting as such, will use it when out walking the dog at night and it is useful to have a torch with a decent range to find out what is running around of an evening (4 legs or 2) and I already have a lamp on the rifle anyway. Mag-lite(s) have been great but recognise that I can probably get a much more powerful but physically smaller torch by going LED + better battery life.
    any of the cheap CREE lights will do you real well and that one for 5 something pounds is just fine.... May look at one with a head strap also.....
    Be your self and speak your mind. Them that matter won't mind and the others don't matter

Great value and good torch for hunting and GP

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UltraFire-...item565c32bc15

I wouldn't be without my LEDLenser P7/2. Well made and superb beam definition.

Don't be tempted by offers on Ebay for cheap LEDLenser products which turn out to be well made fakes from China (I fell for that and got a refund from Ebay).

Get one from a UK based authorised dealer and although you can expect to pay around fifty quid you will be getting the genuine article which when compared to the fake product outshines them in every way (excuse the pun).

Incidentally, a great many of the other makes such as Ultrafire are being copied by the Chinese counterfeiters and the odds are you will end up with a fake product if you aren't careful and Ebay are obliged to refund you in cases of a fake product being supplied but it takes time and you have to prove it is a fake but fortunately for me the people at LEDLenser in Germany were happy to do so after I supplied photos of the counterfeit product.

Quote Originally Posted by rogcal View Post
    I wouldn't be without my LEDLenser P7/2. Well made and superb beam definition.

Don't be tempted by offers on Ebay for cheap LEDLenser products which turn out to be well made fakes from China (I fell for that and got a refund from Ebay).

Get one from a UK based authorised dealer and although you can expect to pay around fifty quid you will be getting the genuine article which when compared to the fake product outshines them in every way (excuse the pun).

Incidentally, a great many of the other makes such as Ultrafire are being copied by the Chinese counterfeiters and the odds are you will end up with a fake product if you aren't careful and Ebay are obliged to refund you in cases of a fake product being supplied but it takes time and you have to prove it is a fake but fortunately for me the people at LEDLenser in Germany were happy to do so after I supplied photos of the counterfeit product.
    Got to say the Lenser P7 or P7/2 were coming in near the top of my list. May just ask Santa, normally get into trouble from she who must be obeyed for buying things from now till Christmas I've ordered a cheapy (probably Chinese rip off) that's only costing me 4 so that will do for now.

Now all I need to do is be a good boy for the next few weeks

Maglite ST2D016 2D Cell LED Torch - Black

I have two of these, good light and well proven make.

The best one I've had so far is a Pelican 7060 led rechargable, almost indestructable, waterproof and with a good range.

I bought one of these when I changed my mobile phone and wanted something wee and handy to carry in my pocket all the time, I actually have it on a key ring with all the yard keys. I paid the price for it because it was the smallest torch I could find that would use an AA battery and hopefully be decent enough quality not to end up in the bin inside six months.

Very, very pleased with it. Nice and simple (one moving part), smaller than you could imagine possible, yet well up to just about anything you'd ever need a torch for, including looking cattle after dark when you've been too busy to get there during daylight!, and best of all you always have it when needed.

Money very well spent, and I'm a really tight fisted git so high praise indeed.

I got a 3 D-Cell LED Maglite and bracket to fix to tractor about 6 years ago and its still going strong on the same batteries.

dont you think using the headlights would be simpler?

Quote Originally Posted by raiderz View Post
    I got a 3 D-Cell LED Maglite and bracket to fix to tractor about 6 years ago and its still going strong on the same batteries.
    Quote Originally Posted by treblesykes View Post
    dont you think using the headlights would be simpler?
    i would just use the tractors lights

Nightsearcher explorer worth looking at , compact and charge lasts hours

Ive got a couple of Fenix torches and I find them very good.

Just looked through the Fenix website and i'm tempted by the RC 40, 3500 Lumins !!

Received the torch I ordered from Ebay, tried last night, fantastic value for money. 4 inc delivery and it shines out to about 150m. Typical Chinese so longevity may be suspect but for the money how can yougo wrong. I was in Costco this morning and they have a 2 pack of 500 lumen led torches for under 20 (+VAT) and I have aready suggested that if Santa happens to visit Costco he may like to pop a set in his trolley

Led Lenser P7, great torch! I use it as a general torch or can sometimes mount it on the airgun with a Velcro scope strap.

Wrote up a review of 5 of them. I researched torches for ages and then got 5 different ones for different purposes.
    Maglite is great, but there's definitely better options out there these days.

Link: https://www.farmreviews.co.uk/best-torches-2017/

Quote Originally Posted by tractorman View Post
    Led Lenser P7, great torch! I use it as a general torch or can sometimes mount it on the airgun with a Velcro scope strap.
    Agreed, makes magnalite look like a candle. Pocket sunshine, M7 adds a few tricks.

I love the Led lenser too. I like having a good wide spotlight torch though, especially around lambing time. Helps pick individual sheep out in fields, there's one in the post above that even has a stand that's been super useful for me. If I'm alone and need to shine light on something while also interacting with that something: e.g. a sheep, I can just set it up on the stand and have a steady light beam.

Super handy!

I got a great torch from Aldi. Waiting for them to get them in again so I can get two more.