• Hibernate for me

5 20.83%
  • Sleeping is best

9 37.50%
  • Depends...

3 12.50%

Thread: Standby poll

Standby poll

Does anyone still turn their desktop or laptop fully off every time they use it?
    I can't see the point with silent sleep using almost no power, especially if you pop it on for a few minutes several times daily.
    With my first PC, in sleep the fan kept running so it was always off - being Windows ME booting up was not always trouble free, I think I might have been affected - and dislike waiting for it to boot so much I almost never turn them off unless restart needed.

Re: Standby poll

Have a couple of desktops, both dell's by coincidence that are on 24/7.

One is an old one on XP that is connected to the weatherstation data logger and uploads the farm weather to the farm website, it was a very 2nd hand business machine, xp was clean installed and just firefox + a few other programs on it.

The other was the sons dell with all the bells making it fairly well specced at the time, when he went travelling I bought it off him rather than give it away for peanuts, use it as another backup system and it runs 24/7 so I can access it via the network or with teamviewer. Being a newer spec it runs pretty quite once the processor is idling.

Both machines have had the BIOS changed to restart as soon as they are plugged in or the power comes back on.

This work laptop gets shut down properly about once a week.

ff

I shut my laptop down (and unplug the charger) every night at bed time

Farm Deskstop and server on 24/7- needs to be for the cctv.

Laptop sleeps when not in use.

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    Does anyone still turn their desktop or laptop fully off every time they use it?
    I can't see the point with silent sleep using almost no power, especially if you pop it on for a few minutes several times daily.
    With my first PC, in sleep the fan kept running so it was always off - being Windows ME booting up was not always trouble free, I think I might have been affected - and dislike waiting for it to boot so much I almost never turn them off unless restart needed.
    Turning machines on and off is what eventually does for them, that and dust. Its because the tiny tiny circuits in almost every computer component, be it motherboard, hard drive or whatever do not enjoy going hot/cold/hot/cold/hot/cold constantly, they basically experience metal fatigue over time and eventually short out or cease to function. PSU is a prime suspect for this, many cheaper ones do not pump out very constant or smooth supplies of current.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    Turning machines on and off is what eventually does for them, that and dust. .
    Oh gosh yes! We have several towers working in a kennels. They get well bunged up with dog hair and dust, so we need to pass the vacuum inside at least twice a year.
    As for switching off, most of the machines are on all the time, simply to save time re-booting, but we do try to reboot about once a week simply because there are sometimes new downloads or program upgrades that need a reboot.

I used to never turn off my comp because it took too long to reboot (I'm just an impatient f@@kr). I put in a SSD and the different is huge. Turning off the machine every night now