Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tractor dilemma, which to change?

Re: Tractor dilemma, which to change?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy6480 View Post
    When the 7480 had injectors, why did it need them? And what were the symptoms that led to you replacing them? Also was it a Perkins?
    It was short of grunt, lacked power and torque, smoked more as time went on. Checked tappets which were fine, so changed injectors. Fair crisped it up, much more responsive now, and cleaner. Iirc they were about 100 each, fitted. Yes it's a Perkins.

Quote Originally Posted by Spud View Post
    It was short of grunt, lacked power and torque, smoked more as time went on. Checked tappets which were fine, so changed injectors. Fair crisped it up, much more responsive now, and cleaner. Iirc they were about 100 each, fitted. Yes it's a Perkins.
    What that through a massey dealer? Mine is 6480 t3 and it won't start just turns over and over

Can anyone change injectors or would it have to be a dealer? I've heard that they need to be programed in?

What that through a massey dealer? Mine is 6480 t3 and it won't start just turns over and over
    the cr pressure needs to be high enough to let it fire

Quote Originally Posted by davidroberts30 View Post
    the cr pressure needs to be high enough to let it fire
    Yes I think that's why it won't let it fire, I just don't know why it isn't getting to pressure, I'm thinking injectors leaking off

Yes, MF dealer. Iirc on a t3 their is a 20a fuse that blows in the fuse box, neighbours t3 6480 sometimes blows, and it then refuses to start. Worth checking.

Can anyone change injectors or would it have to be a dealer? I've heard that they need to be programed in?
    I think they are pretty simple on a t2, can't be certain re programming though.

Yes I think that's why it won't let it fire, I just don't know why it isn't getting to pressure, I'm thinking injectors leaking off

On my T3 7480 I was told that if the filters get changed and you follow the procedure to bleed it (100 pumps on the primer and the crank the starter iirc) then if it doesn't fire after a bit of cranking the fuse has blown. Pretty sure it is a 30 amp. Can't remember the fuse (I never had to change it), but Spud jogged my memory. Just have a look for the blow fuse.
    Reach for the sky, climb every mountain higher.

I have and the fuse is fine, I changed it anyway (f22) I think it's either injector fault or wiring loom as I do sometimes get engine speed sensor error after a long time cranking, and before someone says I have replaced both engine speed sensors, could also be the M prop valve?

I have and the fuse is fine, I changed it anyway (f22) I think it's either injector fault or wiring loom as I do sometimes get engine speed sensor error after a long time cranking, and before someone says I have replaced both engine speed sensors, could also be the M prop valve?
    theres more than 1 fuse that will stop the tractor
    3 or 4 iirc

Quote Originally Posted by davidroberts30 View Post
    theres more than 1 fuse that will stop the tractor
    3 or 4 iirc
    But I can start it and it runs fine with easy start?

But I can start it and it runs fine with easy start?
    Have you checked the plastic fuel pipes from the lift pump back through the water trap to the tank? If it runs fine once started, ime it's unlikely to be the injectors or wiring, more like its leaking fuel back to tank. Check the seals on the fuel filters are fitted correctly too. And put the bloody easy start away!

I have checked all the pipes, if I had a leak would it not weep a little bit of diesel? Even if it was a filter seal? One of the filters is under pressure so that one would definitely leak right?

And it's had a small knocking noise on idle most of the time I've had it

I have checked all the pipes, if I had a leak would it not weep a little bit of diesel? Even if it was a filter seal? One of the filters is under pressure so that one would definitely leak right?
    i have found air will enter with no diesel weep. It's the gods bit of fun with us.

We rigged up a new tank above the radiator fed directly to the lp pump with a bulb type primer inline and had it running, then stopped it left it till morning and se think happened, just cranked over!

There are a couple of observations I will make to the 6480 not starting, if the speed fault is showing, and a whiff of easy start starts it, you need too check the voltage drop when starting,as the ecm needs 8-9 volts to start the tractor, this can be caused by a lazy starter, leads or a too low a cca battery.

Leone75

Sorry Spud I haven't a clue what tractor you should change

Quote Originally Posted by Leone75 View Post
    There are a couple of observations I will make to the 6480 not starting, if the speed fault is showing, and a whiff of easy start starts it, you need too check the voltage drop when starting,as the ecm needs 8-9 volts to start the tractor, this can be caused by a lazy starter, leads or a too low a cca battery.

Leone75

Sorry Spud I haven't a clue what tractor you should change
    Thanks, both battery's have been changed and I put higher amp battery's in than the originals, has the starter off and checked and came back fine, turns over very quickly

Dilema time again! Three years since I wrote the op. 95 went for a Nov 13 reg 7620, been fine bar an odd addblue sensor and a set of brakes destroyed by an enthusiastic pilot.(Now on 4800hrs)
    6490 continued to test my patience and was traded in for a new 7620 March 15 (Now on 3600hrs)
    6180 caught fire on the road in Sept 16 and was destroyed. Replaced by a 10 reg 3000hr 6480 in Spring 17
    3075 still here on 10400hrs
    7480 still here with 12400hrs, but the brakes are now knackered, she breathes pretty hard and is (as you might expect, a bit tired) Hmmm. 7480 needs to go, its cost bugger all so far, but the writing is on the wall, and it does almost 1000hrs a year still. Cant afford downtime.

I had a self propelled sprayer for a year in 2015 - scatched an itch I suppose - I couldnt cope with the slow, noisy, lack of traction or comfort, and the constant demand it had for attention. Sold it. Back to the 7480 for spraying 16&17!

I went to see a few s/h tractors this week.

The options:
    Step down the older 7620 and sell 7480 for a new 7720. Too expensive, and lose lighter tractor - as last times dilema with the 7495 (still wish I'd kept it and sold that bloody 6490!)
    S/H late 7480 - very dear for what they are, if you can find a good one. New sprayer last year, electric compressor on it, but its a pain. Replacement 7480 needs air. Still need front links and pto for taty planting rig
    S/H 7618 - prob favoured option - looking at sub 2000hrs so it will last long enough to outlast the others in the fleet, which will need changing soon enough.
    S/H 7718 - can be found with 1000hrs for 10/12k under new price, but by the time front pto has been added, its too close to new price to be a contender
    New 7718 - big jump from a 12k 7480 - need to spend a bit less to allow other replacements to take place
    New 6718s - demod this back in October - super little tractor, very impressive, but very expensive, more than the 7718.

Time flies.

Regards, Spud

Would it be crazy to overhaul the one with the worn brakes and breathing engine if the transmission is sound? What would it cost, the whole lot could be put against tax.
    The neg side would be spending say 10k but not actually have a tractor worth 10k more?
    I was talking to neighbour who does similar thing to me and we run old Ford 8340s. They must be towards the end of life without major overhauls. They cost 9-11k 10+ years ago but to replace them for tractor with less than 6k hours and say 10 to 12 years means parting with a large wedge (to us at least). Couple that with the written down value being FA so a sale would be taxable.

Quote Originally Posted by essexpete View Post
    The neg side would be spending say 10k but not actually have a tractor worth 10k more?
    I wouldn't let that worry you - even if you buy a brand new one for Cash, in 6 months time you will have a machine that isn't worth what you have invested.

If spending 10k gives you a machine that will give 5 years of acceptable service, the cost is 2k per year (plus the reduction in the residual value of the machine) - there are darned few machines which will appreciate in value as they are used and get older.

We rigged up a new tank above the radiator fed directly to the lp pump with a bulb type primer inline and had it running, then stopped it left it till morning and se think happened, just cranked over!
    You could get your Massey dealer to do a leak off test on the injectors, they should have the kit. It sounds like they are knackered though and you really need to change the whole six. Massey do recon injectors which are still expensive but a bit cheaper than new ones.