Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 51

Thread: Tractor dilemma, which to change?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North Yorkshire
    Posts
    195

    Tractor dilemma, which to change?

    I could use some opinions here, if you'd be so kind?

    Current fleet:

    2008 t3 6490, well shod, auto steer, 5750hrs, here from new, been a bit of bother but ok, been faultless since major repair. Tidy. Drill, cultivating, ridging, occasional cart tractor.

    2006 7495 t2, 30% 20.8r42's, 6000hrs, here since Dec 2010 (2800hrs). We put new lynx front links and pto on it, ready for injectors, but goes well really, tidy, but not as smart as 6490. Destoner, fert, quad baler, taty harvester tractor.

    2006 7480 t2, 90% 600r38, 9000hrs, front links and pto, here since new, been almost impeccably reliable for the work its done, had exhaust, injectors, etc, commeasurate with its work. Sprayer, some fert, windrower, taty planter tractor, though has done pretty much some of everything at some point this year! My tractor from day1, though others do use it. Very tidy for 9000hrs of splashing through taty fields spraying!

    Value wise roughly, nowt between the big two, 7480 about 2/3rds of this. All have datatronic, and have been serviced by the book, owt they've needed they've had, no question. 6490 doesn't have front pto, but doesn't need it for the jobs it does.

    We also have a 6180 and 3075, but there too handy and not worth much to trade in.

    We have purchased a new 7620, speced to replace 7495, to lift taties etc. (also good benefits in having 3 with the same transmission) But are we doing right? When the 90 had its poorly ness, we'd decided to part with it and keep the 95. But it's the newer and tidier, and it's got the auto steer, which is hardly worth swapping onto the 95 for a season. It's also been faultless since its time in dock. It's driver is sat on the fence.
    My old 80 will keep going, but for how long? I did intend to swap it for a late low houred 7480 at some point, but the harder worked (staff driven) tractors would take priority. Should I let it go, and replace it with the 95? The 80 is shorter and lighter, and very handy in a wet time. It does deputise for any of the fleet, it can do big jobs slower, and small jobs easy. But it's stretched on the baler and harvester in a difficult time. The 95 would handle the sprayer easier, but it's heavier in soft going, and longer, so will run more crop down.

    The two vt tractors have been mechanically more reliable, and the 6490 driver would like a vt next time, but is in no rush. This would also help at harvest, he drives the combine, and a self employed operator would bale with his tractor more, we're it vt. currently we play musical tractors, and he mostly bales with 7495. The 6490's position in the fleet will likely be replaced with a late 7499. At some point!

    There is likely lots of other options I haven't thought of, but we need to make a decision very soon.

    Thanks and regards, Spud.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    144

    Re: Tractor dilemma, which to change?

    Crikey what a fleet...
    Difficult one
    Is HIRE a non starter ??? atall ???

    New 76's are just mad money & to be honest what was so wrong with the 64/74s to make such a change except Tier4 emissions.

    Ive got 2 x Tier3 6480s that do 500/600+ hrs a yr.
    The newer one maybes slighly more every yr as i drive it more than the older one for all the jobs i do.

    Some say flog them both n buy a bigger one then just hire a 2nd tractor when req. fair point.

    No Livestock so there only in full use 6 months of the yr.

    But there available 365 days of the yr bought n paid for. (Well nearly - last finance payment due early 2014 on 61plate)

    Am tempted to sell the 5.5yr old one & get a 7618 but the change figure makes you sit down & think again....

    Do i not just sell older one & hire 2nd one in for harvest ???

    or sell them all n hire everything !!!

    Your thinking along the same lines...

    Or i could do nowt n run them both for another 5 yrs yet.

    Tyres on 08 plate are easily still 75% (Michelins) @ 3450hrs

    61 plate has 1520hrs (Trellys @ 90%)

    Both 40k Tractors with v little road work thats the secret & steady operators.

    whats the 08 plate worth? ni on full spec Tractor without Cab Sus & Datatronic. 4 spools tho & 2 on SMS joystick - Factory Front Links - FULL DEALER SERVICE HISTORY

    Decisions......... Good luck Spud.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    767

    Re: Tractor dilemma, which to change?

    To my mind you have a good handle on what you have needed in the past and show an admirable concern for what your drivers want in the future so whatever you do will be reet! You must be covering some ground to warrant that kind of investment in tractors so just do more of the same if it pays.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    sussex
    Posts
    20

    Re: Tractor dilemma, which to change?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spud View Post
    I


    2008 t3 6490, well shod, auto steer, 5750hrs, here from new, been a bit of bother but ok, been faultless since major repair. Tidy. Drill, cultivating, ridging, occasional cart tractor.
    Out of interest did it have a Crown and pinion problem? Does the engine run sweet/start well? Mine is sluggish to start and throws out a bit of Black smoke when reved. Done about 4800hrs.

    My only concern for keeping these things much past 6 or 7 thousand hours is that the residual drops off like a stone. Saying that my 6490 will be here for another couple of thousand hours as I can't afford to change it yet after its big bill.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North Yorkshire
    Posts
    195

    Re: Tractor dilemma, which to change?

    Quote Originally Posted by lostdog View Post
    Out of interest did it have a Crown and pinion problem? Does the engine run sweet/start well? Mine is sluggish to start and throws out a bit of Black smoke when reved. Done about 4800hrs.

    My only concern for keeping these things much past 6 or 7 thousand hours is that the residual drops off like a stone. Saying that my 6490 will be here for another couple of thousand hours as I can't afford to change it yet after its big bill.

    Lostdog, no problems with crown wheel & pinion (had a Maxxum do that way back when), it was dowels from trumpet housings broke away and went through the final drives. Big mess. To be fair dealer made a cracking job of fixing it, its done 200+hrs since, still on same oil put in on rebuild. Its always ropey on first start of day, but sweet once its warm and pulls very well. Odd bit of smoke when its working hard, but nowt that concerns me really.
    I agree with you re residual dropping once past 7000hrs though! Scary..

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    22

    Re: Tractor dilemma, which to change?

    Tough choices as it looks like whatever you decide to do , may end up being the wrong decision.

    If you are fairly convinced the 6490 problems are behind it , I think I would put the 7480 away for the new tractor. Its served you well and at those hours a big repair is almost expected and no disgrace to it but it could still be a big repair on a tractor you will not be keeping for much longer anyway ,do you still see it on the fleet in 3 year's? .

    Personally I'd probably put it to the 6490 driver...keep what he has or go to the 7495 and you take what ever he leaves , with a view to possibly changing it for a late 7480 next time if your missing the smaller frame tractor.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North yorkshire
    Posts
    517

    Re: Tractor dilemma, which to change?

    Sorry to hijack your post but have any of you had trouble with starting a t3 6480 Perkins?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    144

    Re: Tractor dilemma, which to change?

    Not really sometimes it cranks over for longer than you would think it should be... but it always starts eventually.
    There a much sharper Throttle the perkins than the ever so lazy Sisu thats 4 sure.
    But the Sisu (6480) seems to have more overall torque & funny enough uses more diesel for same jobs.... hmmmmm

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North yorkshire
    Posts
    517

    Re: Tractor dilemma, which to change?

    Mine was fine when I first bought it and then it started cranking over a long time before firing like you said but always started eventually until the battery's expired but new ones sorted that, but now it cranks over and won't ever start, only way to start it is give it a sniff of easy start. I wonder if it's had an injector leaking off and took longer to build correct rail pressure to let it inject the fuel, and maybe there are 2 leaking off now so it won't build enough pressure at all?? Had 2 different massey dealers to it, first one said it needed a new pump so fitted one and it was no different just have me a big bill, second one said it needed a new starter and that made no difference either!

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    144

    Unhappy Re: Tractor dilemma, which to change?

    Am sure ive been told that the Engine does need to be cranking upto 400rpm before the injectors even switch on
    What a faf eh.

    So yeah probs need good batterys & starter motor but like you say its sounds like sumfink else.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North Down
    Posts
    65

    Re: Tractor dilemma, which to change?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy6480 View Post
    Mine was fine when I first bought it and then it started cranking over a long time before firing like you said but always started eventually until the battery's expired but new ones sorted that, but now it cranks over and won't ever start, only way to start it is give it a sniff of easy start. I wonder if it's had an injector leaking off and took longer to build correct rail pressure to let it inject the fuel, and maybe there are 2 leaking off now so it won't build enough pressure at all?? Had 2 different massey dealers to it, first one said it needed a new pump so fitted one and it was no different just have me a big bill, second one said it needed a new starter and that made no difference either!
    Don't know about the MF computer but the Perkins one has a status page called no start parameters and it should be quite easy to see what parameter is not being met and causing the non start.
    If easy start starts it I would be pretty sure it is a speed or a voltage problem, the starter may be drawing too much current and the engine ecm is crashing out and when the easy start is given it reduces load on starter.
    Check the alternator is producing 13.4 volts as the battery may not be fully charged.


    Leone75

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North yorkshire
    Posts
    517

    Re: Tractor dilemma, which to change?

    Quote Originally Posted by Leone75 View Post
    Don't know about the MF computer but the Perkins one has a status page called no start parameters and it should be quite easy to see what parameter is not being met and causing the non start.
    If easy start starts it I would be pretty sure it is a speed or a voltage problem, the starter may be drawing too much current and the engine ecm is crashing out and when the easy start is given it reduces load on starter.
    Check the alternator is producing 13.4 volts as the battery may not be fully charged.


    Leone75
    Thanks, it has 2 new battery's and a recon starter, where might I find someone that can go directly into the engine with a computer? If injectors were leaking of it would miss fire when running wouldn't it?

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    3

    Re: Tractor dilemma, which to change?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy6480 View Post
    Thanks, it has 2 new battery's and a recon starter, where might I find someone that can go directly into the engine with a computer? If injectors were leaking of it would miss fire when running wouldn't it?
    I don't know if this will help but some early 6480's had a problem with the idle gear bush in the timing gears, this bush wore causing the electronic pump to work.harder to find the correct timing at start up, when yours is running and you stop it does it make a bit of a rattle from the gears mite be worth an investigation, could always be wrong too though!

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North yorkshire
    Posts
    517

    Re: Tractor dilemma, which to change?

    Quote Originally Posted by lost View Post
    I don't know if this will help but some early 6480's had a problem with the idle gear bush in the timing gears, this bush wore causing the electronic pump to work.harder to find the correct timing at start up, when yours is running and you stop it does it make a bit of a rattle from the gears mite be worth an investigation, could always be wrong too though!
    Tractor has had a new hp pump, didn't change much still didn't start well when it came back but that was around 1800 hrs ago, have emailed diesel bob but he says he would need the tractor in his workshop and that's miles away, must be a closer alternative?

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North Down
    Posts
    65

    Re: Tractor dilemma, which to change?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy6480 View Post
    Thanks, it has 2 new battery's and a recon starter, where might I find someone that can go directly into the engine with a computer? If injectors were leaking of it would miss fire when running wouldn't it?
    No if the injectors are leaking it might not mean a misfire ,you really do need a computer plugged in to see what is happening otherwise it is guesswork, you keep trying parts and maybe not repair it. Have you a perkins dealer near you a Manitou dealer might have the software.

    Leone75

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North yorkshire
    Posts
    517

    Re: Tractor dilemma, which to change?

    Quote Originally Posted by Leone75 View Post
    No if the injectors are leaking it might not mean a misfire ,you really do need a computer plugged in to see what is happening otherwise it is guesswork, you keep trying parts and maybe not repair it. Have you a perkins dealer near you a Manitou dealer might have the software.

    Leone75
    I have had massey dealers out but they can only connect to the tractor and that only shows very basic engine info, Russell's are manitou dealers but all these people will want in excess of 50 an hour which I don't mind paying if they fix it but I've already had huge bills and it's no different!

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North Yorkshire
    Posts
    195

    Re: Tractor dilemma, which to change?

    My experiences re Perkins headaches, fwiw, both cheap and easy to check anyway.

    T2 (though iirc its the same on a t3) Plastic fuel pipe that runs around cab side of the engine from water seperator to lift pump got a pin hole in it. Result - excessive cranking before it would start. Insulation tape cured it temporarily! The lift pump draws fuel through the water trap then pushes it through the fuel filter, so make sure the seal on the water trap hasnt got trapped or anything, and its not drawing air.
    T2 again, peel off some of the ridged plastic conduit on the engine wiring loom. My 7480 had some wires rub through which caused intermittent faults. It had about 7000hrs on it at the time, joined broken wires to get going, but lots more with grooves in from the conduit, so fitted an engine loom, about 300iirc.
    T3 Sisu - one fuel filter slightly over tightened dislodged a seal, wouldnt start for toffee. Took em all off and started again. Cured.

    Has yours an electric or manual lift pump? We have both, neither dear, both been replaced at some time or other.

    Good luck, Spud.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North Yorkshire
    Posts
    195

    Re: Tractor dilemma, which to change?

    Anybody got anymore thoughts re my op?

    Im leaning towards letting the 95 go, I think its at the peak of its value, and though could do what the 80 can, it concerns me that we lose the facility of the shorter lighter handy tractor for the taty planter and sprayer. Its only fault is 9000hrs, its the tidier of the two and I aint excited by its trade in value!
    The 6490 pilot is quite happy for it to stay a year or so, its been faultless since FranksCurtis stripped and rebuilt it, and it saves me the headache of transferring the autosteer temporarily to another tractor.
    BUT the 95 is a good tractor and has only 2/3rds of the hours the 7480 has done.

    Decision to make today......


    Spud

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North yorkshire
    Posts
    517

    Re: Tractor dilemma, which to change?

    Thanks for your input spud, I think you should change the 95, has the worst tyres and narrowest for one. Am tarring my hair out with mine, so frustrating!

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    144

    Re: Tractor dilemma, which to change?

    Why cant Masseys do the high hrs like them mega money Fendts seem to with ease ?? or maybes there just as exp to keep going but we just dont hear much about it ??

    Am considering selling my 08 plate 80 coz its low hrs & still worth something...
    Would prefer a full spec new 6480 with 200hp tho ;-)
    not a convert to them 7600's yet anyways but i mite go that way.
    Dyna-VT 7618 wont be much change out of 80k recon & the Dyna-6 under 70k
    Dont forget tho the Vario will be 20hp less !! why cant they just run it at 200hp Fendt gbox musnt be upto the job in that size of tractor.
    Heck me 08plate 6480 was nearly half that.... NEW its worth 2/3 what i paid for it tho.
    Dunno what you do Spud but your gonna have to like the new models alot to make the jump like me....

    The Grain Prices will make my choice for me soon......

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North Yorkshire
    Posts
    195

    Re: Tractor dilemma, which to change?

    Quote Originally Posted by Get Off My Land View Post
    Why cant Masseys do the high hrs like them mega money Fendts seem to with ease ?? or maybes there just as exp to keep going but we just dont hear much about it ??

    Am considering selling my 08 plate 80 coz its low hrs & still worth something...
    Would prefer a full spec new 6480 with 200hp tho ;-)
    not a convert to them 7600's yet anyways but i mite go that way.
    Dyna-VT 7618 wont be much change out of 80k recon & the Dyna-6 under 70k
    Dont forget tho the Vario will be 20hp less !! why cant they just run it at 200hp Fendt gbox musnt be upto the job in that size of tractor.
    Heck me 08plate 6480 was nearly half that.... NEW its worth 2/3 what i paid for it tho.
    Dunno what you do Spud but your gonna have to like the new models alot to make the jump like me....

    The Grain Prices will make my choice for me soon......
    Fendt do seem to hold their money. In actual fact its cobblers, mostly. A Fendt 720 was 28k dearer than a MF7620 three months ago. Will there be 28k difference when they both have 7000hrs on? Doubt it. 15k maybe, but not 28k. Fendt swapped for Fendt though is no dearer than MF for MF, or likely any other colour like for like.
    My 2006 MF7480 has 9000hrs on and counting. Its had hub seals, front diff bearings and seals, a high low cable, engine wiring loom, a set of injectors, exhaust, two alternators and three sets of batteries, oh and a steel oil pipe that feeds the cardan brake. Since new.
    It cost (virtually full spec) 45500 new, and is worth about 20000 now. It'd cost low 70's for a 7616 (todays almost like for like),
    so 72000-45500=26500/9000hrs=2.94/hr true cost of depn. Acceptable.

    Fundamentally, high (7000hrs upwards) use will mean steeper depn and higher repair cost liklihood. That hasnt changed. Roughly, new prices mirror s/h values to an extent, ie a McCormick is cheaper than a Fendt new, and similarly s/h. You pays your money and makes your choice. Personally, they need to be doing 1000hrs/yr to justify buying new, otherwise we'll look for second hand. The biggest depn hits ime are under 1000 and over 6000hrs, highest repairs 4500-6000hrs, dependant on workload.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    144

    Re: Tractor dilemma, which to change?

    Its never easy to say oh thats the right way is it.

    My Business has been able to replace tractors more recently so i have done it
    If i hadnt the Tax man would have just had it so bugga that.
    Dont run a Combine anymore which helped.
    Currently have two MFs which been bought from new with 5 yr warranties on both.
    Yes its not free & dealer does the servicing
    But you kind of have a rough idea of your fixed costs in that time.
    With no nasty shocks.

    Iam ney Mechanic but can do most of the service work as & when its out the warranty otherwise its the dealer for everything else.

    Dont like the idea of buying something older with lots of unknown hrs on etc etc.

    So maybes its costing me slighly more but piece of mind is a wonderful thing to fall back on

    Mine dont do 1,000 hrs a yr but thats just how it is.

    Had thought of a low hr'd 6495 or even a 6499 yet....
    But But But.

  23. #23
    Senior Member Cowabunga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ceredigion, West Wales
    Posts
    1,221

    Re: Tractor dilemma, which to change?

    Totally dependent on your profit situation and how tight your tractor utilisation is, but it would make sense for some people to keep what you have got, semi-retire your 7480 or spread the load on all of them, and just buy an extra tractor outright. It might not make sense to you, but it must be a contender for some with a fleet like yours.
    The Duck 2015

  24. #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    22

    Re: Tractor dilemma, which to change?

    If you could find some decent row crops for the 95, I think you would find it fine to replace the 80. My 85 is on 380's for spraying and it turns surprisingly tight for what looks a big yoke

    I would think the hubs of the 7620 might also be the same as the 95 so row crops could be shared?

  25. #25

    Re: Tractor dilemma, which to change?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spud View Post
    I could use some opinions here, if you'd be so kind?

    Current fleet:

    2008 t3 6490, well shod, auto steer, 5750hrs, here from new, been a bit of bother but ok, been faultless since major repair. Tidy. Drill, cultivating, ridging, occasional cart tractor.

    2006 7495 t2, 30% 20.8r42's, 6000hrs, here since Dec 2010 (2800hrs). We put new lynx front links and pto on it, ready for injectors, but goes well really, tidy, but not as smart as 6490. Destoner, fert, quad baler, taty harvester tractor.

    2006 7480 t2, 90% 600r38, 9000hrs, front links and pto, here since new, been almost impeccably reliable for the work its done, had exhaust, injectors, etc, commeasurate with its work. Sprayer, some fert, windrower, taty planter tractor, though has done pretty much some of everything at some point this year! My tractor from day1, though others do use it. Very tidy for 9000hrs of splashing through taty fields spraying!

    Value wise roughly, nowt between the big two, 7480 about 2/3rds of this. All have datatronic, and have been serviced by the book, owt they've needed they've had, no question. 6490 doesn't have front pto, but doesn't need it for the jobs it does.

    We also have a 6180 and 3075, but there too handy and not worth much to trade in.

    We have purchased a new 7620, speced to replace 7495, to lift taties etc. (also good benefits in having 3 with the same transmission) But are we doing right? When the 90 had its poorly ness, we'd decided to part with it and keep the 95. But it's the newer and tidier, and it's got the auto steer, which is hardly worth swapping onto the 95 for a season. It's also been faultless since its time in dock. It's driver is sat on the fence.
    My old 80 will keep going, but for how long? I did intend to swap it for a late low houred 7480 at some point, but the harder worked (staff driven) tractors would take priority. Should I let it go, and replace it with the 95? The 80 is shorter and lighter, and very handy in a wet time. It does deputise for any of the fleet, it can do big jobs slower, and small jobs easy. But it's stretched on the baler and harvester in a difficult time. The 95 would handle the sprayer easier, but it's heavier in soft going, and longer, so will run more crop down.

    The two vt tractors have been mechanically more reliable, and the 6490 driver would like a vt next time, but is in no rush. This would also help at harvest, he drives the combine, and a self employed operator would bale with his tractor more, we're it vt. currently we play musical tractors, and he mostly bales with 7495. The 6490's position in the fleet will likely be replaced with a late 7499. At some point!

    There is likely lots of other options I haven't thought of, but we need to make a decision very soon.

    Thanks and regards, Spud.
    Spud,

    So 2 x 170hp and 1 x 200hp?? I'm struggling to find hp listing online as the models have changed a bit?

    Why not buy 2 x JD 6930 - last ones off the production line this last spring so will now have 500 hours on the clock and generally very reliable machines nowadays which good residual values. As for the bigger one why not a JD 7930?

    I know its a bit JD bias but these models are now quite reliable machines. Auto steer will probably be fitted as JD have the market sorted on this front. By doing all 3 at once the local JD dealer will wet himself as well so you might get other stuff thrown in such as warranties or service packages.

    To me all of a sudden something like a 500 hours 6930 for 55k looks good value compared to new tractor prices across the board. I can't see how its viable to buy new now unless you get a guaranteed buyback as Fendt are offering.

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    697

    Re: Tractor dilemma, which to change?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Spud,

    So 2 x 170hp and 1 x 200hp?? I'm struggling to find hp listing online as the models have changed a bit?

    Why not buy 2 x JD 6930 - last ones off the production line this last spring so will now have 500 hours on the clock and generally very reliable machines nowadays which good residual values. As for the bigger one why not a JD 7930?

    I know its a bit JD bias but these models are now quite reliable machines. Auto steer will probably be fitted as JD have the market sorted on this front. By doing all 3 at once the local JD dealer will wet himself as well so you might get other stuff thrown in such as warranties or service packages.

    To me all of a sudden something like a 500 hours 6930 for 55k looks good value compared to new tractor prices across the board. I can't see how its viable to buy new now unless you get a guaranteed buyback as Fendt are offering.
    Where are the 500 hr 6930s for 55k ? I can t find any.

  27. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    240

    Re: Tractor dilemma, which to change?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spud View Post
    The biggest depn hits ime are under 1000 and over 6000hrs, highest repairs 4500-6000hrs, dependant on workload.
    so based on that when should someone change - 4000-4500hrs ??

  28. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North Yorkshire
    Posts
    195

    Re: Tractor dilemma, which to change?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Spud,

    So 2 x 170hp and 1 x 200hp?? I'm struggling to find hp listing online as the models have changed a bit?

    Why not buy 2 x JD 6930 - last ones off the production line this last spring so will now have 500 hours on the clock and generally very reliable machines nowadays which good residual values. As for the bigger one why not a JD 7930?

    I know its a bit JD bias but these models are now quite reliable machines. Auto steer will probably be fitted as JD have the market sorted on this front. By doing all 3 at once the local JD dealer will wet himself as well so you might get other stuff thrown in such as warranties or service packages.

    To me all of a sudden something like a 500 hours 6930 for 55k looks good value compared to new tractor prices across the board. I can't see how its viable to buy new now unless you get a guaranteed buyback as Fendt are offering.
    Lee

    6490 200hp power shift, 7495 190hp cvt, 7480 140hp cvt.

    I can't afford to change all three!!
    i don't have the confidence to run a JD auto power to 3000hrs, never mind 9000. JD are no more reliable than anything else, head gasket anyone? So I won't be turning the fleet green.
    Interesting why you can't see buying new making sense on tractors doing over 1000hrs/yr. it ensures correct spec and hasn't been ragged to death by a student like your no doubt ex hire 500hr 6930. Too risky, surely more so than buyin new? Like Chae I don't see any 55k 500hr 6930's.
    Guarunteed buy back? That will be low enough so as not to lose the dealer money. Like hire tractors include a profit margin. Look after the thing and it will look after you.
    My 9000hr 7480 has cost less than 3/hr in depn, and under 60p/hr in repairs. It's 7years old.

    Jh, thanks for that, I put the 95 on the sprayer today to see what you mean. It's not as numb as anticipated, though not as nimble as the 80. 20.8's don't help. Had them both on the weigh bridge, 95 about 12%heavier.

    Cowabunga, we do hire a tractor for a month in spring and about 6weeks in autumn, and your point makes sense. 7480 would be good back up, relief sprayer tractor and still do the planting. 95 do bulk of spraying and replace hire tractor. Father thinks I've lost the plot....

    Spud

  29. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North Yorkshire
    Posts
    195

    Re: Tractor dilemma, which to change?

    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    so based on that when should someone change - 4000-4500hrs ??
    I think it depends greatly on the jobs it does, reliability record, and driver. My 7480 was front line for the first 6000hrs, 4.5 yrs, then it stepped back, relief, spraying, ferting and planting spuds. It had been (still is) probably the most reliable tractor we've owned, driven 90% of the time by me. The heavy work was taken over by the 95, bought then s/h. Ours have all been here longer than we normally would keep them (normal being 5-6000hrs unless hopelessly unreliable)
    You pays your money and makes your choice.
    They don't always run trouble free . Bar a set of injectors and an exhaust, nowt much extra has been ailed by the 7480. We ran a Matbro to 6500hrs, it got transmission belly ache, a Maxxum to the same hours chewed crown wheel and pinion. 8340 blew oil down the breather past 5000hrs. 6170 was a complete pup and left on about 3000hrs!

  30. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North yorkshire
    Posts
    517

    Re: Tractor dilemma, which to change?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spud View Post
    I think it depends greatly on the jobs it does, reliability record, and driver. My 7480 was front line for the first 6000hrs, 4.5 yrs, then it stepped back, relief, spraying, ferting and planting spuds. It had been (still is) probably the most reliable tractor we've owned, driven 90% of the time by me. The heavy work was taken over by the 95, bought then s/h. Ours have all been here longer than we normally would keep them (normal being 5-6000hrs unless hopelessly unreliable)
    You pays your money and makes your choice.
    They don't always run trouble free . Bar a set of injectors and an exhaust, nowt much extra has been ailed by the 7480. We ran a Matbro to 6500hrs, it got transmission belly ache, a Maxxum to the same hours chewed crown wheel and pinion. 8340 blew oil down the breather past 5000hrs. 6170 was a complete pup and left on about 3000hrs!
    When the 7480 had injectors, why did it need them? And what were the symptoms that led to you replacing them? Also was it a Perkins?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •