Thread: looking for a job with machinery

Lightbulb looking for a job with machinery

hey guys,
    i'm looking for a new career path. i am currently working as an avionics technician on 737's, but i hate it. i work on machinery at the weekends. all i think about during the week is what i'm going to do at the weekend, and i want to change it. how do i do it??

any help in the right direction would be grealty aprreciated.

Re: looking for a job with machinery

Similar situation to me when I was younger, but the money or lack of it in agri maintenance held me back. I got a job offshore as a hydraulic/mechanical tech and now only work 5 1/2 months a year. On my leave I work on the farm and repair the machinery at home and I am now starting up my own contracting with the money, couldn't really be happier its whats I've always wanted to do but I don't have to worry about the money side as much.

I don't know if that would suit you?

If you're thinking along the lines of working for a manufacturer then ideally a recognised qualification upto degree level in mechanical or ag. engineering would be a great help

So you have a skilled job in aviation and want to move into agriculture?
    Reach for the sky, climb every mountain higher.

Seems like a bizzare move ? But if you really want to do it try to get into a manufacturer job, do not work for a dealer unless desperate !
    Don't get me wrong if your any good at it you'll always have a job but its not a career i would recommend anyone gets into. But then I'm a cynical old bu**er these days & hinsight is a great thing.
    But if you want to spend your long summer evenings & weekends wasting away your life working while your friends are out enjoying themselves having earned in a basic week not much less than you'll earn with OT then go for it :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Gapples View Post
    Seems like a bizzare move ? But if you really want to do it try to get into a manufacturer job, do not work for a dealer unless desperate !
    Don't get me wrong if your any good at it you'll always have a job but its not a career i would recommend anyone gets into. But then I'm a cynical old bu**er these days & hinsight is a great thing.
    But if you want to spend your long summer evenings & weekends wasting away your life working while your friends are out enjoying themselves having earned in a basic week not much less than you'll earn with OT then go for it :-)
    pretty much sums it up gapples thankless task for what you are expected to know imo also you can never get to the job fast enough for some people and when u do get there you are too dear! but plus points are if you enjoy a challenge you will not get bored anyway (pissed off maybe but not bored)

I guess that it's all about the balance between doing what you enjoy (maybe slightly poorer paid) and doing something that you don't enjoy quite as much, but which is better paid.

It's a debate I have with myself quite regularly.

The question to ask would be do how much do you hate the aviation world !

the fact is you will almost certainly worse paid and probably work in a worse environment etc etc

but if you can justify those downsides any doing what you like means that much go for it

the plus sides are you are unlikely to ever be out of a job good agricultural techs are few and far between your employer may go out of business but you will find employment easy enough !

i would say that if you are particularly good with electronics you could probably command a premium in terms of wage as that is the way machinery is going but most technicians seem to struggle with electronics and people with a good understanding and interest get tempted away to more comfy working environments but somehow I doubt it the electronics you care for that much !

Unlike some other posters I think some of the larger equipment dealers have a form of Career structure that is attainable but the steps are I would assume more limited than your current employment would offer.

There is a lot to be said for the offshore industry approach earn your money working and enjoy your time off playing

But only you can make the decision at the end of the day.