Thread: Auger boom to spread powder on Gustrower lime spreader

Auger boom to spread powder on Gustrower lime spreader

Just supplied to Raynham Farms near Fakenham, first Gustrower lime spreader in the UK with 12 metre screw booms to spread burnt poultry litter ash from a local plant. Hope to play with it next week

Re: Auger boom to spread powder on Gustrower lime spreader

Let me know how it goes, what kind of forward speed can be achieved with it and application rates etc please.

This reminds me of a boom type Lister fertilizer spreader which I bought in the early 70s.

It had an auger in the boom tube and another auger to take the unused fertilizer from the boom ends back up to the top of the hopper. There were slots and adjustable shutters on the bottom of the boom tubes.

The trouble was that, with the fertilizer being continuously circulated, the machine ground it into a powder, thereby upsetting the application rate. The powdered material also built up around the shutter holes, compounding the problem. I can't remember what the spread width was, but I guess it was about the same as the machine which it replaced.

After a few weeks, I replaced it with a Taskers Fertispread, which was one of the best machines I ever bought. It was reliable, easy to clean and had a consistent application rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Sod View Post
    This reminds me of a boom type Lister fertilizer spreader which I bought in the early 70s.

It had an auger in the boom tube and another auger to take the unused fertilizer from the boom ends back up to the top of the hopper. There were slots and adjustable shutters on the bottom of the boom tubes.

The trouble was that, with the fertilizer being continuously circulated, the machine ground it into a powder, thereby upsetting the application rate. The powdered material also built up around the shutter holes, compounding the problem. I can't remember what the spread width was, but I guess it was about the same as the machine which it replaced.

After a few weeks, I replaced it with a Taskers Fertispread, which was one of the best machines I ever bought. It was reliable, easy to clean and had a consistent application rate.
    Like you I thought this is not a step forward
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

but as ash is already a powder it will be rather difficult to grind it to a powder

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    Like you I thought this is not a step forward
    Gentlemen, this machine is designed to spread powder which is so fine it cannot be broadcast as it simply blows away often onto the nearest dwelling/s which can cause an uprising and defeats the object of getting said power onto the ground !

Quote Originally Posted by 306neil View Post
    Let me know how it goes, what kind of forward speed can be achieved with it and application rates etc please.
    Hi Neil,

It Works !

We were spreading at 1ton/ha @ 10k, official figures quote rates from 500 to 7000kg/ha but depends a lot on bulk density and forward speed (which seems mainly dictated by ground conditions at this rate as slides only 1/3 open). The secret is a constant volume of material into the augers to maintain an acurate application so a constant speed is important. This material is just like talc with 0.825 density, customer had tried last year to spread with conventional machine and dust cloud was seen leaving Norfolk a few days later, no official sightings lately !

Harry,
    I notice the spinners are stored on the side of the hopper, are these redundant as there is no spinner motors now or can the machine be converted to a conventional spreader if needed ?

Quote Originally Posted by 306neil View Post
    Harry,
    I notice the spinners are stored on the side of the hopper, are these redundant as there is no spinner motors now or can the machine be converted to a conventional spreader if needed ?
    This machine has been supplied with a spinner deck as well, but has to be removed to fit booms. Disc on the side are spare lime discs, the spinner deck currently fitted with fert discs, booms and deck are interchangable on standard spreader, disc drive hydraulics are used to operated auger drive when booms fitted.