Thread: How to keep a keyboard clean?

How to keep a keyboard clean?

Chaps, are you able to keep your keyboard clean?

Without washing my hands every time I start using the keyboard, I find that my grubby 'pingers make the keys (white with black letters) so dirty that I cannot read them. I am not a touch typist, although I an fairly quick, but have to look at the keyboard much of the time, and always have to when pressing a chord of keys to get some obscure French accent etc.

Re: How to keep a keyboard clean?

If its a wired one, (no batterys) just sling it in the dish washer on a coolish cycle every now and then.

I spill coffee on one of mine from time to time. It's a silver one with white keys so it shows dirt quite badly. The coffee doesn't seem to have done it any harm so far. I turn it upside-down sharpish and tap it against my hand so that the liquid rains out of the keys and, this is the good part, while it is wet and without batteries [forget to mention removing the batteries!] I give the keys a good wipe with a micro fibre cloth. I can squeeze the keys quite hard to get in-between them. They are 'chicklet' type keys and have a three or four mm gap between them that also tends to get grubby.

I really wouldn't risk this with a laptop and I usually do turn it upside-down and tap it with my hand to get the crap out from below the keys and then wipe it down with a damp cloth.
    The Duck 2015

I did read that due to the design of the keys, the worst thing you can do after spilling something on them is turn upside down, as that really just helps the liquid get inside to gum things up.

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    I did read that due to the design of the keys, the worst thing you can do after spilling something on them is turn upside down, as that really just helps the liquid get inside to gum things up.
    Can't see the logic in that. You can take most keys off quite easily and you might find a lip to hold liquid if upside-down but that is shaken out by the tapping. Turning it the right side up will, in any case, only deposit the liquid back where it was originally.

My magic mouse is far more sensitive to coffee than the keyboard. Despite an emergency rescue and resuscitation attempt last time it nearly drowned, it sulked for a week before coming back to work. I think it was traumatised or had post traumatic stress. Anyhow, it's fine now.
    The Duck 2015

Quote Originally Posted by trotterpig View Post
    Chaps, are you able to keep your keyboard clean?

Without washing my hands every time I start using the keyboard, I find that my grubby 'pingers make the keys (white with black letters) so dirty that I cannot read them. I am not a touch typist, although I an fairly quick, but have to look at the keyboard much of the time, and always have to when pressing a chord of keys to get some obscure French accent etc.
    put a decent net nanny on your internet explorer

I use some nail varnish remover on cotton wool and clean the keyboard every so often - but does not stay clean for long

I find this method works very well when they get dirty or are drowned in coffee!!!

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/231065196568?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1
    Ond lle bu'r arad' ar y ffridd Yn rhywgo'r gwanwyn pr o'r pridd

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    If its a wired one, (no batterys) just sling it in the dish washer on a coolish cycle every now and then.
    This actually works. Just make sure it is thoroughly dry before using or the dampness will short it out!

Some funny stuff in electronics. I "repaired" a faulty printer by following directions on a newsgroup that went something like this , "Bake circuit board xyz in a domestic oven for ten minutes at medium heat". That was sufficient to reflow the solder and cure a dry joint.

If you don't fancy the dishwasher method, which does work if done carefully, you could try something similar to the link below for a removable and washable silicon rubber cover.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Co...bs_computers_5

http://www.protectcovers.com/keyboard-covers.html

Have seen these used in several garages where mechanics need to use computer but not have clean hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    IwIsHiHaDrEaDtHaTpOsTpRoPeRlY.i'VeJuStGoTmLaPtOpOu ToFtHeDiShWaShErAnDiT'sNoTwOrKiNgAtAlLwElL.
    Looking out for the next holiday.

We use foaming spray cleaner on our keyboards that are in a workshop enviroment, a liberal spray all over and then wipe off with a clean cloth, then a very gentle blow with the air line to get all the rubbish from below the keys.

Thanks for all the suggestions, People.
    I saw an interesting solution the other day in a butcher's shop. They simply laid a sheet of cling film loosely over the keyboard and changed it daily.
    This would also keep out the coffee, as well as keep the buttons clean.

Just leave it dirty, it helps discourage unauthorised fingers

I have done the dishwasher thing in the past and it worked fine but takes ages to dry out.

The Compaq keyboard I have now came undone easily and the mechanical keyboard bit came away form the electronic bit in one piece so I just scrubbed the keyboard with hand cleaner, washed it in the sink then dried it with a hair drier (not mine I might add, I have no use for one of those contraptions!).

Clean the keys with soapy water and a cloth. I only get particulate matter in mine, not liquids so I just use a blast of the old canned air to remove the worst.

A lot of them can have the lid removed so you have half a chance to getting a brush to remove coffee or whatever.

Anyone got a link to the foam cleaner though I'd give that a go.

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk