Thread: Samsung Galaxy s3

Samsung Galaxy s3

These seem to be getting near 200 now from the likes of Amazon Sim Free, they look a bit big though
    Is that a problem as a main phone? I wouldn't be carrying it about all the time, I think in practice it would be more used like a tablet in the house or vehicles.
    Just thinking about one at this stage.

Also, are the people complaining about battery life and slow recharge doing something wrong?
    With my present HTC Desire it's good to be near a charger but not as much of a problem as you'd think in practice when they all can be topped up from any USB supply from 12V/240V/computer.
    I was looking at Google Nexus LG but they never seem to have stock at the google reduced price, and the camera definitely is not as good as the Samsung.

It is funny how phones got smaller and smaller until they even reduced the sim card to half size - but now they are enormous again but still want you to get a micro sim or cut the old one down!

Re: Samsung Galaxy s3

I've had an S3 for about a year, and find that it is OK in pocket even though it is quite a big phone. I don't have a tablet but I would guess that even though the screen is a good size it probably isn't ideal to be used as a tablet replacement, perhaps a Note2 would be a better for that.

As regards charging and battery, mine will run for a couple of days with light data use (not Wi-Fi and just email), and if the data and Wi-Fi are turned off it will run for 4 or more days. Charging is fine but it does seem to work best with the factory supplied charger or a desktop PC USB connection, I have also tried a laptop USB connection and a Sony USB charger and they aren't good enough to get it fully charged (stop at about 95%) so guessing they might be slightly lower rated.

I have a Galaxy Note ,and a PDair leather cover for it. It is too big , ( and a shade bigger than the S3 )for your trouser pocket really , but I usually find it slips nicely into an overall pocket or a shirt pocket . Love it to bits , its a great phone - the S pen is really good for lots of texting !!
    Its always on Wi Fi because I use TUGo (on O2) app to receive and make calls around the house and farm. Battery needs charging each day.
    But having 2 batteries and a charger to plug in the phone overnight ,and second battery charger that the battery slots into by itself ,means ,its only 30 secs to turn phone off , flip off the back cover and switch batteries , should I forget!!
    . And making a habit of turning the phone on and off at least every couple of days seems to keep the phone working on both wi fi and network calls , as it might be my software , but they can not work sometimes and just need you to reboot, and then they work fine !
    If your eyes arent too bad , its not to bad for web browsing either

I have an s4 mini
    its exactly same size as I phone. Would recommend it.

Had one for a year, mrs has Iphone 4, wouldnt swap for hers not half as good IMO

had one 6 months, otterbox case and zagg screen protector .a bit bulky in pocket but i like it.

ive got an s4 mini now , smaller than the s3 but just as good

ive been told this a couple of times from the phone shop , the modern battery dont like getting left on the charger to long , the recommend only charging it for a few hours at a time . ive got my charger plugged into a timer now and have it coming on at 3.30 am and off again round 6 and its fully charged when i get up

was told by cpw that the mini is a better phone ,than the standard or maxi , will be changing my galaxy ace out soon for s3 mini , asda/ amazon have them on pomo at the mo

my wife went from an iphone 4 (which she finally killed after 3yrs of abusing it) to an s4 mini, and she doesn't rate it as good as her Iphone. Says its not as easy to use (we are not techno geeks) things aren't intuitive she says. But I do wonder of part of that is just habits and its a case of getting used to the phone!

I see the Nexus 5 is out today starting at 299, it's 4G too - but the screen is 5"!
    https://play.google.com/store/device...ack_16gb&hl=en

Quote Originally Posted by miketm150 View Post
    my wife went from an iphone 4 (which she finally killed after 3yrs of abusing it) to an s4 mini, and she doesn't rate it as good as her Iphone. Says its not as easy to use (we are not techno geeks) things aren't intuitive she says. But I do wonder of part of that is just habits and its a case of getting used to the phone!
    I think that it is what you used to. I think battery life is better on s4 than either s3 or I phone. Functionality is pretty good on all of them... larger screens easier to read if you have forgot your glasses !!! BUT iphone is probably a bit more robust ? (My wife is going to swap to a S4 next time from an iphone ).

Quote Originally Posted by Dust Raker View Post
    I think that it is what you used to. I think battery life is better on s4 than either s3 or I phone. Functionality is pretty good on all of them... larger screens easier to read if you have forgot your glasses !!! BUT iphone is probably a bit more robust ? (My wife is going to swap to a S4 next time from an iphone ).
    The wife's S3 lasts about 2/3rds the time her iphone would........ and I notice she's now using the iphone around the house for emails and the bit of facebook she does instead the S3, which i'm not enamoured about seeing as she wanted the S3!

Does she know if she presses and holds the home button it brings up the active apps so you can shut them down to save the battery . Ive got a widget on my home page that shows them just to remind me to do it

Quote Originally Posted by Recycled View Post
    Does she know if she presses and holds the home button it brings up the active apps so you can shut them down to save the battery . Ive got a widget on my home page that shows them just to remind me to do it
    Apparently not!! Just told her and she is now going to try to close them down to see if it helps.

You could install "Advanced Task Killer" app , it's free and will stop activity on whichever apps you tick , but otherwise just sits there and doesn't bother anybody . Great app