Thread: 15Kw Turbine Recommendation for Split Phase

15Kw Turbine Recommendation for Split Phase

Looking at putting up a turbine, 15Kw is the max grid connection we can have.
    Initial desktop wind speed figure is 7.2 m/s @ 10 metres.
    We will use most of the power ourselves for our milking robots.
    Got the Kingspan rep coming out, i know theirs is a "new" model, anyone seen one at a show?
    Any recommendations? Would rather go for reliability and back up, over out and out performance.

Re: 15Kw Turbine Recommendation for Split Phase

Each seller/manufacturer will tell you that their turbine is best but they ALL have their issues.
    We've got a Gaia 11kW which is great but they are only as good as the installer and you need to get the 5 year warrantee, need 3 phase though. A chap up the road has got a Proven 6kw which has never given any trouble but it has never really produced any meaningful amount of electricity either! Bergie have a long warantee but need a lot of wind. There's plenty of horror stories about the Xzaries (spelling) with no manufacturer back up. I've not heard anything bad about the Aircon 10 but it's a bit expensive. C&F; plenty of info out there for you to make your own mind up etc there is a owner website for C&Fs - interesting.
    Bottom line is just do plenty of Google searches for each of the turbines, make a short list - easy to knock a few off straight away. You need to get a good idea of your actual wind speed though because that is a big factor - some turbines just won't produce on moderate sites. Installers are very important - get references from previous customers and check them, you might save yourself some heartache.

I would agree that they all have problems , don't discount the Evoco 10 as they seem to have now ironed out a lot of their original problems, I would also visit existing sites . Where in the country are you ?

Ive just insatlled two turbine set ups, one a 2.5kw proven and a 6kw proven, I can =basically advise if your installing one go as big as you possibly can as the installation costs are pretty similar. Obviously there are limits but common sense prevails, reg the outputs, id take what manufactures say along wi daft salesmen with a pinch of salt. Ive noticed that you either have too little wind or too much wind, ie the converting kit is pretty sensitive to gusts etc and stops actually producing useful power til it comes back into spec. They dont like gusts at all! a steady wind is where you will get the best generation, its a tricky thing wind tho.

The 6kw ive installed outputs about 35kw/hrs per 24hrs (7) the 2.5kw prob about 5kw/hrs (1) per 24 hrs (thers losses in the genrating equipment which makes the 2.5kw appear a rubbish output)

Yer its never gonna make you millionaire but they nice to look at , talk about and wind up (excuse the pun) any neighbours you dont like.
    relatively easy to insatll yersel wi basic civils knowledge and electrics pretty simple too.

Marginally better than money in bank however who knows what energy could cost in a couple of yrs??? maybe difference between power/no power and less harmful to environment than another new car.

May help you decide???

Quote Originally Posted by awj26 View Post
    sounds like a good site, what part of the country?

We've just put up a C&F20 with an EMMA unit to control the power output (which means that when it it at maximum output it starts switching water heaters on so can have a bigger turbine that grid connection limit) which may be an option for you but far too soon for me to recommend it.

I'm of the same opinion as Tom. We have a 15kw C&F and a EMMA (we can only export 10kw).

Personally the only turbines i'd be interested in are C&F, or Westwind. (Evance might be okay too but I don't know any owners). The gaia isn't bad but just to small at 11KW (and over priced imo).

I think its a shame that you wont make it for the next rate cut (end of march) but at least it gives a lot of time to consider. You've an ideal site and situation (windy and using power) you should have done this months ago.

Get a 20 and a EMMA.

"The gaia isn't bad but just to small at 11KW (and over priced imo)."

Not sure about the pricing at the moment for the Gaia but the output per turbine compares more then favourably with a lot of the "larger" 15kw C&F machines on their user website

http://www.cfturbinegroup.org.uk/

Don't fall into the trap of comparing turbines on their rated output.
    On sites with excellent wind speed I would think that a 15kw C&F would produce more than an 11kw Gaia but on the less than perfect sites it would appear to me that the Gaia will outperform the C&F.

Plenty of output data for Gaia's on other threads for you to check out.
    Would agree with other poster though that picking the right installer is critical as good ones are worth their weight in gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastender View Post
    "The gaia isn't bad but just to small at 11KW (and over priced imo)."

Not sure about the pricing at the moment for the Gaia but the output per turbine compares more then favourably with a lot of the "larger" 15kw C&F machines on their user website

http://www.cfturbinegroup.org.uk/

Don't fall into the trap of comparing turbines on their rated output.
    On sites with excellent wind speed I would think that a 15kw C&F would produce more than an 11kw Gaia but on the less than perfect sites it would appear to me that the Gaia will outperform the C&F.

Plenty of output data for Gaia's on other threads for you to check out.
    Would agree with other poster though that picking the right installer is critical as good ones are worth their weight in gold.
    Don't fall into the trap that less KW = cheaper the Gaia was actually more expensive than the C&F 15 last time I checked (a fair while ago though).

If the site was less than 5 - 5.5 m/s i'd agree with you but at 7.2 even with Nobals range of error the 15's going to be better, the 20's going to be far superior.

Our 15 has done 55k Kw in the last year on a 6.5m/s single phase site with the gaia I would expect 30 -> 40kw ish.

I'm also dubious as to how much Gaia's lose on none three phase sites given the large timescale it took for them to develop a single phase version (you don't ignore half your customer base for years without a good reason).

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer Palmer View Post
    I would agree that they all have problems , don't discount the Evoco 10 as they seem to have now ironed out a lot of their original problems, I would also visit existing sites . Where in the country are you ?
    South East Cornwall, about a mile from the coast.

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    sounds like a good site, what part of the country?

We've just put up a C&F20 with an EMMA unit to control the power output (which means that when it it at maximum output it starts switching water heaters on so can have a bigger turbine that grid connection limit) which may be an option for you but far too soon for me to recommend it.
    Thats what i have been starting to think - heat store for the house to mop up any surplus power, and maybe stop the wife nagging about the cold!

We use 60,000+ Kw a year, so want to generate as much as possible.

Still waiting for C&F to get in touch, anyone got a contact for Cornwall?
    Gaia 11Kw around 60K with the Tilt up tower, but no output figures for the single/split phase version
    Kingspan KW15 around 75K
    Whats a ball park figure for the C&F 15 and 20 turbines?

Local Gaia's are quiet, but don't seem to running in lower wind speeds when the Endurance 50Kw that we can see are.
    What are C&F's back up like?
    Kingspan sounds like it's noisy, but should have good back up.

Just want the most power with the least hassle.

We will use most of the power ourselves for our milking robots.
    Got the Kingspan rep coming out, i know theirs is a "new" model, anyone seen one at a show?
    Any recommendations? Would rather go for reliability and back up, over out and out performance.
    Are you sure you will be allowed more than 10kw which is usual in a non 3 phase situation
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    Are you sure you will be allowed more than 10kw which is usual in a non 3 phase situation
    Yes, we were originally looking at PV, and the company spoke to Western Power, and they came back with 15kw in writing and verbally said we could also put 4kw on the house (same transformer, used solely by the farm.), but will have to see if thats correct.

Whats a ball park figure for the C&F 15 and 20 turbines?
    we paid 73k for C&F20 earlier this year (it was due to go up another 5k but I don't know if it has)

At the time a C&F15 was 65k; planning costs, cable and concrete etc would be same for both, probably about 12k

EMMA adds another 12k so in total around 100k, not cheap but if with my windspeed of 5.5 it pays for itself in 10 years yours should in 8.

For both of us solar PV gives the better return probably paying back in 5-6 years with a lot less hassle

We have a 20 kw westwind and are very disapointed with its performance. It seems to turn from side to side a lot therefore the output is not constant as it continually speeds up and slows down. It only has the large tail fin and no yaw controllers. Has anyone else any experience of this? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scotsman View Post
    We have a 20 kw westwind and are very disapointed with its performance. It seems to turn from side to side a lot therefore the output is not constant as it continually speeds up and slows down. It only has the large tail fin and no yaw controllers. Has anyone else any experience of this? Thanks
    It is probably badly sighted with buildings or trees about causing turbulence, bit late to do much about it I guess
    it is a frequent problem on smaller turbines, placed near farmsteads
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

Good Article in this weeks Farmers Weekly about Grid Connections and what each line/pole /phase etc. will carry- Pleasantly supprised?