Thread: DEFRA consultation on CAP reform.

DEFRA consultation on CAP reform.

I received by email today an invitation to make constructive comments to DEFRA regarding the new CAP proposed to be implemented in 2015.

I feel that if I do not comment I can only blame myself if they implement controls not in my best interests or the interests of farmers and I am quite certain that whatever is implemented will be less generous to us than that previously.

My immediate objections is to the proposed 15% reduction in payments so that this money can be allocated to other causes in the countryside ie by villagers to use for all sorts of purposes ie cricket club, creche etc. I am not being selfish but some time back I went with a leader group to a farm owned in part by a government minister who had availed himself to every grant going including toewards a new pub - whilst being most vociforous in the press about those who had fallen on hard times by calling them spongers! No wonder I could not get a grant towards rain water harvesting in my farm yard!

I also object to the RSPB and many others such as the Duchy of Cornwall etc getting vast sums when not enough is being done to help small farmers and hill farmers, what do you think?

I would like to reply to DEFRA but feel it is important to get some input to what others think.

PS Be a bit careful with your replies as this web site is visited by quislings and I have posted a comment some months ago which was quoted back to me by someone outside farming!

Re: DEFRA consultation on CAP reform.

Of coarse it'll disadvantage small family farms (they don't have professional lobbyists) and Politicians will always go down the popularist route and take from "a few greedy farmers" and give it to the local mother and baby group - those mothers who buy New Zealand lamb and apples from Chile. Voters will be all for it (without understanding that huge amounts of EU Agricultural budget is spent on QUANGOs and civil servants not small farms).

But it is important to respond to these consultations even if they take no notice.

One day the politicians are going to come begging you to produce food for the nation as the "third world" wake up and realise that their populations will pay more for their food than our supermarkets. Then you can tell them to have a consultation

Tell them to shove their bloody money or start paying for food and land to be looked after, not growing stupid weeds.

The last 15 years of this green cap bollocks has been nothing more than a political war on good clean old fashioned food production and keeping the land in good heart. I hope some DEATHRA parasite reads this, none of them have a clue at the damage and cost their decisions have brought to this country.

All they have achieved is the reduction in profitability and efficiency of their own country leading to an increased balance of payments deficit and even more fossil fuel use as tonne after tonne of food is imported.

It's time the politicians got their hands off the reigns, they sacked half of Defra and took restrictions off of farming.

In the last 5 years we have seen what world markets can do, leading to food shortages, price hikes for the consumer, and in turn whole swathes of social and political unrest. The EU and the CAP were one of the factors in that, basic commodities becoming so expensive the poorest people in even fairly developed regions becoming angry, desperate and understandably turning on their own governments.

Now is not the time to let Monbiot and that kind of ilk interfere in food production, whether locally, nationally, or globally.

Farming= the biggest job on earth.

I have responded, but it was not easy as I had to look on other sites to find the info on the Defra proposals in order to give a true opinion. Took at least an hour to do. Need to be familiar with the whole CAP reform and the Defra stance before completing the survey.
    I am still unclear on some of the questions. It does have to be done, we do need a voice, but - good luck with answering the questions!

Quote Originally Posted by Socksitis View Post
    I have responded, but it was not easy as I had to look on other sites to find the info on the Defra proposals in order to give a true opinion. Took at least an hour to do. Need to be familiar with the whole CAP reform and the Defra stance before completing the survey. I am still unclear on some of the questions. It does have to be done, we do need a voice, but - good luck with answering the questions!
    yes we need a voice , and we all so need the money that is getting smaller I see they did not ask farmers before they gave over milk quota control to the milk factory's and gave it a new name , contract
    it is just me take me as i am

I take note of your views and I feel it is vitally important to have a unified voice particularly for the smaller sized farmer where a deduction of 15% modulation - I call it 'clawback' is grossly wrong as this money seemed to always be given to the big boys as I found when I went on a site visit with my local leader group and found that the farm owner had received grants towards a creche, a farm shop, a newly built pub, rain water harvesting and solar panels - not bad eh but he was a government minister!

I had asked for a sum of 1500-00 towards rain water harvesting and was told no chance.

I am not against villagers having better facilities but in reality they do not give a s--t for me and use my farm as their rightful place to exercise their dogs or poke around at will often taking pins out of implements etc, etc. So why should we have such a large percentage removed from our payment. I am sure that you all heve similar experiences.

Likewise I am somewhat against the greening measures as there are too many poking their noses into our daily activities, especially in my area where council bod's sneek onto your land without invitation, take a survey of the fauna and then get a grant from the government and lottery funds on the back of your efforts!

Some years later by complete chance you learn that your farm has been awarded the citation of a County Wildlife Site! Later on your planning application for another desperately needed barn - receives the response - no chance it's a county wildlife site!

This actually happened to me, it took 3 years for me to bombard the council into admitting it had no legal obligation over me and Nat Eng who had supported them and had tried to overturn my planning application eventually became disinterested after Jim Paice, became personally involved.

The issues on CAP reform a many and complex and I personally do not feel sufficiently enlightened to respond without your input but equally if I do not respond I feel that I am letting down my fellow farmers and then DEFRA will just take into account their own views - which is most likely in any case - but at least I have tried.

Finally as you have said it is vitally important that we have a unified voice and unfortunately on a daily basis matters that concern us are raised in the newspapers - do we have any comments from the NFU in response no we do not.

Kind regards to you all and please do comment as I am sure many have been contacted to fill in the online questionaire but many may not have been.

Quote Originally Posted by Springador View Post
    My immediate objections is to the proposed 15% reduction in payments so that this money can be allocated to other causes in the countryside ie by villagers to use for all sorts of purposes ie cricket club, creche etc.

I also object to the RSPB and many others such as the Duchy of Cornwall etc getting vast sums when not enough is being done to help small farmers and hill farmers, what do you think?
    This is one and the same issue. If all the money goes to small farmers who actually live on the farm in question, then the local school, pub, creche, etc will be kept healthy without needing the separate 15%.

I suppose that we, as farmers, should at least be grateful that they are asking our opinions - not that the politicians will take any notice of course! Call me cynical, but i reckon that this is nothing more than a box ticking exercise from DEFRA who are only following instructions from their political masters.

That being said, those who have been asked for an opinion, (and i am not amongst them) should respond. The ridiculous, as has been pointed out, measures to reduce payments so that the money can be spent on 'village' projects is a smokescreen. After all, who is going to decide where that money will be spent? And if it is not all claimed at the end of the year, does anyone think that it will be given back to whom it was originally intended, ie, us farmers? Of course not! What it really means is that this is yet another Government wheeze to reduce payments. They should be honest and admit it.

As for spending money on 'village facilities', surely that is a responsibility of local Parish Councils working with their local village clubs and associations? I'll bet that the Parish Councils will not be given any of this so-called money to spend!

It's a con, and should be seen as such.

I very much agree it's a con and only being implemented as a means to reduce our income. I also agree money unspent will then go back to DEFRA's coffers to defer the next years payments.

By the way since my last post have read in today's Sunday Express that RSPB are rejoicing that 2m is being set aside for worthy causes of improving the countryside for nature - implying we do f--- all and what do we get yet another lame response by the NFU's Mr Kendall.

For what it's worth I am certainly calling for the RSPB's grants to be cut on the basis that they have reduced the indiginous population of birdlife on farms by going cap in hand with Nat England to promote the reintroduction of a high level of raptors and that as a publicy funded profit making body they should not enjoy CAP funding as their farms are nature reserves and should be sustained through their members fees and sales.

(Three weeks ago whilst I was cultivating, from my tractor seat I counted 19 red Kites above me - and thought at the time what chance do partridge chicks have as these then went on to attacking a gull. The next day I saw an area of white in the field - thinking it was a plastic bag or similar I walked to it and found the dead body of this gull lying in a mound of feathers.)

[QUOTE=Uwork4menow;202189]Tell them to shove their bloody money or start paying for food and land to be looked after, not growing stupid weeds.

Hi there U work4meknow,

I'm a journalist with the Independent and am researching the CAP policy for a feature. I was interested by your comment and wondered if you might be available for an interview?

Many thanks

Memphis Barker
    http://www.independent.co.uk/biography/memphis-barker

oh god help us, mayo the voice of british agriculture

I'm not sure I am really the right person to be interviewing if I am honest. I doubt you would get the sort of answer you are looking for from me, and I would never be party to any caper which could be constructed so as to be damaging to the industry I am so passionate about.

I have not been invited to respond to the defra cap survey.
    But after reading these threads you must respond even though you feel it a waste of time.
    If 15% is going to local villages what as happen to the lottery money grants and also the land fill tax which was supposedly to be used for this purpose, this money just disappears. As I don't think people or parish councils know this money is available as you have to apply for it through your local landfill operator

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    I'm not sure I am really the right person to be interviewing if I am honest. I doubt you would get the sort of answer you are looking for from me, and I would never be party to any caper which could be constructed so as to be damaging to the industry I am so passionate about.
    Hi again,

I understand your point - but I'm setting out to make clear both sides of the case here, not prejudging which way to go.

If anyone else would be interested in a quick interview, I'd be delighted. It's an important dispute, and one that hasn't had much coverage yet.

Memphis