Thread: Which windows 8 tablet

Which windows 8 tablet

The mother in law is looking for a new PC I don't think she needs a PC I think that a tablet with windows 8 and and a card reader would do, any one got any experience of one ?

she want it to do

internet banking
    facebook
    email
    google
    Store her photos , not take them but get them on to it easy from a sd card and a memory stick
    and run Garmin software on it

it needs an sd card reader , widows 8 for the Garmin software and a standard USB socket any thing else is bonus
    ideally not top of the range in price

any advice please

Re: Which windows 8 tablet

Do you definitely mean tablet, if you do you make sure you choose carefully. Some will come with Windows 8 RT and some will come with Windows 8.

The big difference between the two, the RT version will NOT run most of your Windows programs so if you do find one with RT that fits the bill check that all the software you want to use on it is available for it. There are not many RT ones on the market but they are at the lower end of the price range 200 - 300.

Most of the expensive tablets in the 500+ range (and one or two of the cheap ones) will have the "proper" Windows 8 so they will run any normal Windows software

Also don't forget that most tablets have a limited amount of internal storage so there is likely to be very limited room for a good sized photo collection where as most laptops will come with a large hard disk, i.e. a typical tablet will be 32 or 64Gb of storage with about 20Gb used, and a laptop will probably have 500+Gb with about 50Gb used. Not all tablets will have full sized USB ports so factor in getting different cables or a USB hub, and not all will have a card reader and if they do it is more likely to be one of the micro ones not full sized, again you could get round that with a USB card reader.

One other downside of a tablet is that should it get damaged or broken it is more likely to be just replaced as there is usually no way to repair them, and because almost all don't use normal hard disks you can remove it and connect to another computer to rescue your files.

I would think that for the price of a Windows 8 tablet (especially with proper Windows 8) with the features you need you could well be better off looking at a low end laptop as these will have most if not all the features you want for similar money to a cheap tablet.

That's helpful I gave only had limited use of widows 8 on a laptop and to say i found it frustrating is an understatement it would appear to be more aligned to touch screen devices rather than keyboards or mouse based I can't see her taking well to widows 8 unless it's touch screen based which is partially why I thought tablet .

You make some hood points that I need to consider and I guess on the strength of those comment I should consider a touch screen laptop as we'll but that will undoubtably push up budget .

does an one have any experience of a suitable touch serene laptop or tablet

I think a laptop might be a better buy, a tablet is useful as a secondary device, but so many things are not easy with them if that is all you have.

In the process of setting up an Acer laptop on Windows 8 for a newbie "silver surfer" updated it to 8.1 today, the few changes to the tablet type desktop make it much more user friendly IMO, once you get used to switching between the Win7 type desktop and the W8 one its not too bad. Much faster waking up and ready to go than 7 though.

Just have to help them get used to W8 & BT infinity, expect he'll be on the sport channels while his wife will be surfing (she wasn't sure if Skype would reach as far as their daughter down in Devon until their son convinced them that if it can reach our lad in Perth WA, it out to manage Devon )

ff

Found this to switch the start button back to something similar to Win7. You can just have it as-is or fiddle around with several different options. Its free (with voluntary donations)

http://www.classicshell.net/features/

Stuck it on the new notebook and its much better, the lady-silver-surfer last used a 'puter before she retired from the council quite some time ago so I think this will help giving back menus to find things rather than the hidden, pop out from the edges Win8!!

ff

Thanks for that FF that looks like it could be an the answer "old style widows 8" or is that "retro windows 8" ?????

on a laptop

I've lost count of the number of people who don't like the windows 8 interface , as I've said it's designed as far as I can tell for touch screen in which case it's probably great . But having used it with a laptop myself URRRRRRR
    But since someone makes an old style simulator for it shows there must be some demand wouldn't you think that Microsoft would consider that.

Quote Originally Posted by Big red View Post
    Thanks for that FF that looks like it could be an the answer "old style widows 8" or is that "retro windows 8" ?????

on a laptop

I've lost count of the number of people who don't like the windows 8 interface , as I've said it's designed as far as I can tell for touch screen in which case it's probably great . But having used it with a laptop myself URRRRRRR
    But since someone makes an old style simulator for it shows there must be some demand wouldn't you think that Microsoft would consider that.
    If you go from W8 to W8.1 you get the new style "start" button which is an improvement, but with the classic shell add-on you can twiddle that and a lot more depending how confident you are with it.

I wonder how Bill Gates gets on with W8

ff

Re: Windows 8 Classic Shell

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    Found this to switch the start button back to something similar to Win7. You can just have it as-is or fiddle around with several different options. Its free (with voluntary donations)

http://www.classicshell.net/features/

Stuck it on the new notebook and its much better, the lady-silver-surfer last used a 'puter before she retired from the council quite some time ago so I think this will help giving back menus to find things rather than the hidden, pop out from the edges Win8!!

ff
    Is this still a good option for W7 look-alike?

Was reading just this week that Windows 10 (not going to be a 9) is going back to having a start menu and is being pitched at luring the old die-hards like me away from XP.

Not sure when it's being released but a modern updated XP would certainly do me nicely.

Sorry, as for the original question, I'd certainly agree that a laptop would be the better option.

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

I have bought 3 win 8 tablets in total,one RT and two Dell latitude 10 win8 pro's. All three were dell refurbs bought off an ebay shop. None were big money. The RT one was given away as a Christmas present last year.As was mentioned RT model is ok for someone like a granny etc who is only going to do a bit of surfing emails etc but they are no good as a laptop replacement.On the other hand the full win 8 pro versions can do anything a desktop can do.A Microsoft surface pro tablet is a nice device but in my opinion like the iPhone 6 stupid money and only suitable for "mugs with money", but there are those who will buy them.The Dell Win 8 pro ones I bought had two different specs.One has I think a 32g memory (SSD) and the other 128g.The latter has a removable battery and a 3g facility which I have no need of. All three are wireless.The RT model has a smaller than standard usb port and requires an adaptor to standard and you find driver support poor for printers etc.The win 8 pro ones have a normal usb port and full driver support for all devices like any desktop. Both pro models had expandable memory slots so it's relatively cheap and easy to add onboard storage plus unlike an ipad the usb port facilitates memory sticks and external hard drives.A 32g/ 64 g memory card is affordable though less affordable larger ones are out there too.Battery life is excellent on a par with an ipad but unlike the ipad there is full flash support. The pro models had a dell backup/image facility onboard which ate up storage so if you are tech savvy you can move the image external and free up a lot of disc space. Although the storage capacity sounds poor I haven't had problems with running out of storage on either model and if you did you just move stuff to the card. I am well pleased with both devices, especially the way stuff syncs across all my win8 machines, desktop and laptop.They are cheap enough that you don't want to keep them wrapped in cotton wool,they lie around in my car and at work and get used. I have installed the classic shell start button on all my win 8 machines. It takes a few weeks to get onto win 8 but there's no way I'd want to go back to win7 now. There's actually a lot of neat features in win 8 that you find the longer you use it. Not being a "new" snob I regularly save a small fortune on refurb gadgets and suspect most were never faulty, the first buyer either was too stupid to use them or messed the software up. As it is now a year since I bought mine there may be better models/options now but there's no need for me to upgrade at this stage. There's a lot of specification crap talked on online reviews about tablets, go to pc world or somewhere and look at/hold them and you'll see that the difference an extra 500 makes to the usability is not that great in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by T P View Post
    I have installed the classic shell start button on all my win 8 machines. It takes a few weeks to get onto win 8 but there's no way I'd want to go back to win7 now. There's actually a lot of neat features in win 8 that you find the longer you use it.
    Any one else using Classic Shell Start button..??

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

Classic shell info

http://www.classicshell.net