Thread: matbro won't start.

matbro won't start.

Winter is coming and our matbro is a pig to start. First bit of cold weather and the batteries go flat. Tried putting two on her. Now one big one and still no luck. We pull the steering wheel as we crank it over. This helps. I read somewhere you get an oil diverter to put on them so she ant pressurising the system. All advice appreciated

Re: matbro won't start.

Quote Originally Posted by beacons boy View Post
    Winter is coming and our matbro is a pig to start. First bit of cold weather and the batteries go flat. Tried putting two on her. Now one big one and still no luck. We pull the steering wheel as we crank it over. This helps. I read somewhere you get an oil diverter to put on them so she ant pressurising the system. All advice appreciated
    What model is it? yes you can get a valve to release oil pressure when cranking engine you may already have it fitted.

All you need is a good 1000 cold cranking amp battery, good battery leads etc and a 4.2 kw starter motor to replace the crap old type 2.8kw ones or even worse the old type new replacement copies that are every were.

common problem.

She's a ts 270. How do I know if its got the valve or big starter.

Quote Originally Posted by beacons boy View Post
    She's a ts 270. How do I know if its got the valve or big starter.
    I know you don't have the 4.2kw starter cause you wouldn't be having to ask the question! 4.2kw starter is the skinny black one in the pic it is actually smaller than the original which makes it easy to fit

The valve is located under the boom area and bolted near the back corner of the cab, it has a 1/4 pipe coming from the steering priority valve which is located just next to it and then another pipe going back to the tank and a wire going to the trigger wire on the starter motor solenoid (small spade terminal)

Attached Thumbnails
    Last edited by ACE; 07-11-13 at 10:17 PM.

Thanks very much for that. Just wondering where would you get the starter. Is it the place in Gloucester who do the matbro parts.

Anywhere that is an Iskra or Kramp dealer. (Kramp sell iskra starters)

Batteries - genuine varta only.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    Anywhere that is an Iskra or Kramp dealer. (Kramp sell iskra starters)

Batteries - genuine varta only.
    I would normally agree with varta but not for a 642, JCB , new Holland and sparex (all the same battery supplier) 642 is 1000cca and 120ah

I Cant see a 642 varta listed but a varta 663 which was the original battery fitted to matbro is only a mere 680cca which is poor for a 663 most other makes are between 700 and 750cca.

Check the specs not just the battery model number.

I put a iskra on mine like a new machine no more jumps starts or using the heater plug in cold weather it's well worth it's money

Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    I know you don't have the 4.2kw starter cause you wouldn't be having to ask the question! 4.2kw starter is the skinny black one in the pic it is actually smaller than the original which makes it easy to fit

The valve is located under the boom area and bolted near the back corner of the cab, it has a 1/4 pipe coming from the steering priority valve which is located just next to it and then another pipe going back to the tank and a wire going to the trigger wire on the starter motor solenoid (small spade terminal)

Attached Thumbnails
    Thats good to know had trouble with ours took starter, cables and NH battery to sharpen it up on a cold morning.

the old matbro at work had the same problem, make sure there is a very good earth to the frame this seemed to work for us.

Had a Matbro TR200 with a lazy starter could never turn the engine over quick enough before battery died most mornings no matter how many new batteries an starters over the years never changed until I seen a bit on here by ACE about the smaller starter think it was a £160 or so worth every penny have a got a 250-110 now so will have to see how how it behaves when cold weather comes

Had similar problems with jcb 530-70 so fitted 1000cca battery and 4.2 kW starter from Leone 75, starts a treat now, bring on the frost!!

me too!! just put an iskra 4.2kw starter on our old 520 this morning , what a thing starts like a new machine , what a difference!!

Does anyone know what type and number the lucas starter is for a matbro TS270 I cannot find any identifying marks on mine and the dealer I have contacted says he cannot cross reference it buy a new Iskra 4.2kw without the number. Or if you do know a dealer who doesn’t leave the customer to do the work for him and will sell me a starter to fit that would be great.
    Willly

Quote Originally Posted by willly View Post
    Does anyone know what type and number the lucas starter is for a matbro TS270 I cannot find any identifying marks on mine and the dealer I have contacted says he cannot cross reference it buy a new Iskra 4.2kw without the number. Or if you do know a dealer who doesn’t leave the customer to do the work for him and will sell me a starter to fit that would be great.
    Willly

no worries PM will be sent in a minute

no worries PM will be sent in a minute
    sorry cant remember the number but choice of two for the perky engine either left or right hand fitment to the engine (think the two part numbers are consecutive) (6061? rings a bell) cheers

Quote Originally Posted by 7700 View Post
    sorry cant remember the number but choice of two for the perky engine either left or right hand fitment to the engine (think the two part numbers are consecutive) (6061? rings a bell) cheers
    no your no were near with 6061! not for either iskra or the lucas but there are left and right hand versions a TS270 wants a left handed one dispite the starter being on the right (engine is in backwards compaired to a tractor application)

no your no were near with 6061! not for either iskra or the lucas but there are left and right hand versions a TS270 wants a left handed one dispite the starter being on the right (engine is in backwards compaired to a tractor application)
    sorry it was five years ago but what I meant was IS 1160 or IS 1159 (got the 1 right) that is a right hand or left hand fitment looking at the engine from the front ie the pulley end