Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Remember the killer cow from the spring

Remember the killer cow from the spring

Do you remember I posted on here about a bad bitch I had that calved and she stayed bad for 6 weeks plus. I couldnt decide what to do and was on here asking for advice. I got her away to a hill with the calve where no tourists ever go and with other cows. Behind a locked deer fence. Anyway the boys who let me put her there just brought the cows home and the plan is when they go to sell the calves shes going that day as well. So I was just phoning them for a date and well shes still at it, she went for 3 of them when they were bringing them in and one had to run up a tree. What a bitch she is, I will have to warn them well at the mart and ill get nothing for her but she will be off my hands. Im not looking forward to seeing her again thats for sure

Re: Remember the killer cow from the spring

Send her to slaughter only. Don't let anybody else run the risk of a fatal accident.

Quote Originally Posted by fergieman View Post
    Send her to slaughter only. Don't let anybody else run the risk of a fatal accident.
    +1, keeping cattle brings responsibility and killing out dangerous animals is one of them in my opinion. Keep an eye on any offspring too as they often display the same mentality when given the opportunity or encouragement.
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

Have to agree, get the bitch into a trailer and drive directly to the local slaughter yard, a guy near me got killed by a bull this summer and he had had the bull for years knowing it was dangerous, not worth risking anyone getting hurt

Quote Originally Posted by crofteress View Post
    Do you remember I posted on here about a bad bitch I had that calved and she stayed bad for 6 weeks plus. I couldnt decide what to do and was on here asking for advice. I got her away to a hill with the calve where no tourists ever go and with other cows. Behind a locked deer fence. Anyway the boys who let me put her there just brought the cows home and the plan is when they go to sell the calves shes going that day as well. So I was just phoning them for a date and well shes still at it, she went for 3 of them when they were bringing them in and one had to run up a tree. What a bitch she is, I will have to warn them well at the mart and ill get nothing for her but she will be off my hands. Im not looking forward to seeing her again thats for sure
    What market is she going to please?

Quote Originally Posted by fergieman View Post
    Only proper option.
    History is a race between education and catastrophe.H. G. Wells.

it is also good practice to warn the boys in the lairage too . they appreciate the heads up on somthing loopy and will normally empty the place and make sure it is off the ramp and dead .

peace of mind

The problem with sending such an animal through a market is the number of people put at risk, Two hauliers, Drovers and the Public as well as the lairsman at the slaughter house although they're probably kitted out with good races and gates for handling dodgy animals.
    My uncle once told me about a call he'd made to his local, now long gone market about a nasty bull he wanted to send & was told he'd be liable for anything going wrong.

BB

That's interesting, so if your cow injured someone at market they could claim off you?

Does the animal not effectively become the market's property and responsibility once on the premises.
    Seems rather unfair to be held responsible for an incident which you were not involved in. [checks insurance policy closely ...]

A lot of normally quiet cattle can get aggressive when suddenly surrounded by dozens of people and jammed next to unfamiliar cattle groups.

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    That's interesting, so if your cow injured someone at market they could claim off you?

Does the animal not effectively become the market's property and responsibility once on the premises.
    Seems rather unfair to be held responsible for an incident which you were not involved in. [checks insurance policy closely ...]

A lot of normally quiet cattle can get aggressive when suddenly surrounded by dozens of people and jammed next to unfamiliar cattle groups.
    And wild ones can become subdued in the same situation as they lose their bottle.
    Anyway
    I am taking her myself and she wont be in lairage
    I was going to tell them at the mart just how bad she is when I phone to enter her and if they say im liable and if they dont want her [ and the commission] then Im taking her direct.
    The reason I put the update on was because at the time there were a few on here who said she would settle down , I know some do , but she was always going to be going as soon as i could wean the calve anyway, I thought it might be of interest to anyone who remembered the thread that shes still the same

No idea about above but I am taking her myself and she wont be in lairage
    I am going to tell them at the mart just how bad she is when I phone to enter her and if they say im liable and if they dont want her [ and the commission] then Im taking her direct.
    The reason I put the update on was because at the time there were a few on here who said she would settle down , I know some do , but she was always going to be going as soon as i could wean the calve anyway, I thought it might be of interest to anyone who remembered the thread that shes still the same
    surely just take it direct! if you'll get nothing for her then have the local hunt deal with her!

Quote Originally Posted by Wilts` View Post
    surely just take it direct! if you'll get nothing for her then have the local hunt deal with her!
    Ill get 500 for her shes a good big beast and young, highland beef, plenty going the other day for the same and not young ones either
    have a hard job hunting up here though years ago we had a foot pack

I think most of us has had a mad cow at some time. I had a heifer like that a few years ago, so I took her to the slaughter house myself in my brand new Ifor Williams, I told the boys there she was wild so they opened the gates so she went straight up the race to killing pen, but she still managed to right off both gates on the trailer and put a big dent in the roof (got 2 new gates from Ifor Williams but the dent in the roof is still there). Don't bother with market, its not worth the risk, straight to the slaughter house, tell them she's mad and get some help loading and unloading

Quote Originally Posted by Codger View Post
    I think most of us has had a mad cow at some time. I had a heifer like that a few years ago, so I took her to the slaughter house myself in my brand new Ifor Williams, I told the boys there she was wild so they opened the gates so she went straight up the race to killing pen, but she still managed to right off both gates on the trailer and put a big dent in the roof (got 2 new gates from Ifor Williams but the dent in the roof is still there). Don't bother with market, its not worth the risk, straight to the slaughter house, tell them she's mad and get some help loading and unloading
    I have a brand new IW ...
    Have scrapped the idea of putting her through the ring.

Best Idea all round I would imagine. as you said in an earlier post you would probably get nothing for her in the ring when they see how wild she is. Than wont happen at the meat plant.
    In God we trust. ALL others pay CASH!!!!!

Excellent news. No one deserves to have to put up with that in their daily work, mart yard work is dangerous enough as it is. I agree cows get stressed at the mart but I have seen the difference between this, and a nutter intent on harm. The sooner she is off the planet the better.

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post

I think a previously quiet animal is a different situation to a known nut-case. Anyone putting a known nut case into market is risking a claim against them I would have thought.

We have one exactly the same. She had twins in June and we couldn't even go into the field for days. Even after that we couldn't risk walking so always went on the bike. She's indoors now with a bunch of fattening cattle along with her calves. She still watches us all the time. As soon as the calves have settled down she's going to the abattoir.....if we can load her. Otherwise I'll shoot the bitch in the pen.
    Come and stay in the Welsh hills, http://www.holidaycambriancoast.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth Bryson View Post
    Best Idea all round I would imagine. as you said in an earlier post you would probably get nothing for her in the ring when they see how wild she is. Than wont happen at the meat plant.

You think? The buyers seem to love a nut job in the ring Like you say, not sure about the drovers though

Safest and kindest to get her gone as quietly as possible. Good luck!

Thank goodness for that.
    Take care loading her: have some help on hand, and good luck.

Has she been in a trailer before ?

Try setting up the trailer to load the day before somewhere where she cannot possibly escape ( possibly just inside the doorway of an otherwise un-bedded building ) and bedding it and the ramp well with straw and a feed and water in plastic tubs in the trailer.

Leave her to her own devices to explore overnight - might work, might not but if it does you may save a lot of grief.

Best way I've seen of handling this type of animal is in the middle of a bunch of quieter animals. Then hopefully if you have somewhere half decent to sort them you can separate her and load her without going into the pen with her. You'd be better off shooting her in the field than getting hurt though IMHO.
    Come and stay in the Welsh hills, http://www.holidaycambriancoast.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Courier View Post
    Has she been in a trailer before ?

Try setting up the trailer to load the day before somewhere where she cannot possibly escape ( possibly just inside the doorway of an otherwise un-bedded building ) and bedding it and the ramp well with straw and a feed and water in plastic tubs in the trailer.

Leave her to her own devices to explore overnight - might work, might not but if it does you may save a lot of grief.
    yes loaded her twice on my own
    using trickery

Any problems or signs it could go wrong my mate is there with his rifle, hes an expert shot and we have somewhere to hang her , Ill let you know how it goes

Scotland, land of the free home of the brave

yes loaded her twice on my own
    using trickery

Any problems or signs it could go wrong my mate is there with his rifle, hes an expert shot and we have somewhere to hang her , Ill let you know how it goes
    I've GOT A RIFLE WITH TELESCPIC SIGHTS AS LONG AS SHE'S WITHIN 100M i'LL SHOOT THE BUGGER IF YOU WANT

I had a beast like this, loaded her in the morning to take to slaughterhouse and she brayed the hell out of me before I eventually got her in the trailer, dropped her off at the slaughterhouse and she ended up escaping from the lairage, before the running loose on the edge of a local village. Local police ended up shooting her as she was completely mad and to be perfectly honest I wish I had her shot from the start. It's not worth messing on with, forget the 500 you might get, get her shot where she is, avoid the stress and save a life!!

Quote Originally Posted by Durhamlad View Post
    I had a beast like this, loaded her in the morning to take to slaughterhouse and she brayed the hell out of me before I eventually got her in the trailer, dropped her off at the slaughterhouse and she ended up escaping from the lairage, before the running loose on the edge of a local village. Local police ended up shooting her as she was completely mad and to be perfectly honest I wish I had her shot from the start. It's not worth messing on with, forget the 500 you might get, get her shot where she is, avoid the stress and save a life!!
    Thats some nightmare, you would think once you had her loaded that was the job done. LAlans I might take you up on it. Im thinking if I got her shot and hung up then as home kill its in the freezer but its a lot of meat to be butchered and Ive not tried butchering before but I do have a very large hungry family shes a 4 year old highland, the beef will be very good.

Wait til she smells the BLOOD!

Thats some nightmare, you would think once you had her loaded that was the job done. LAlans I might take you up on it. Im thinking if I got her shot and hung up then as home kill its in the freezer but its a lot of meat to be butchered and Ive not tried butchering before but I do have a very large hungry family shes a 4 year old highland, the beef will be very good.
    You could market her as wild highland beef .

The big advantage of the home kill (assuming that you can satisfy the passport business etc) is the lack of stress to the animal before slaughter if you are having it back yourself. If it does go mental on the way to slaughter you may find it becomes one of the "dark cutters" that we are always warned about.
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by foxbox View Post
    You could market her as wild highland beef .

The big advantage of the home kill (assuming that you can satisfy the passport business etc) is the lack of stress to the animal before slaughter if you are having it back yourself. If it does go mental on the way to slaughter you may find it becomes one of the "dark cutters" that we are always warned about.
    Ha ha I like it , wild highland beef alright. Yeah when it comes to unload her at the slaughterhouse, shes either going to leap out or reverse into a corner

I wouldnt want the meat from her if she went direct, just the payment, theres no slots for a private kill at any of the local ones before xmas and the cost of getting to the far away one and going back to get the meat might not be viable. They dont do private kills there anyway

If I put cause of death as home kill is that not okay ? Home kills allowed in the highlands

I think I will tell her breeder what shes like, so much for old bloodlines, old meaning they go straight back to the Aurochs