Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: turbine for 6m/s

turbine for 6m/s

couple of questions.

would you consider buying a wind turbine if the desktop survey came back with 6m/s?

and which would be the best turbine for that speed?

thanks.

Re: turbine for 6m/s

Are you talking 1kw or 1000kw or somewhere in between?
    More info would help

6m/s is good anyhow.
    like said what other info have you, ie height, location, spec.budget , so much others details required to give better replies ?

hi, a 225 kw ideally.would I be right in assuming a budget of 550k should cover it?

thanks for replies so far.

http://www.a27turbines.com
    Made in northern Ireland and can have longer blades fitted to optimize energy from lower wind speeds.
    These are world leading vestas turbines made locally under license.

Quote Originally Posted by lady pumpkin View Post
    hi, a 225 kw ideally.would I be right in assuming a budget of 550k should cover it?

personally i,d be looking at one of the v27 refurbs that boythorpe wind are selling,less than half that price.looks as if they do a top job. althought i have never spoken to them myself

With a 20% cut in Tariff coming in April and another 10% in October , you will need a lot more than 6M/s wind speed to make your investment viable.

If you still want to proceed choose a Class 3 Turbine, the Vestas referred to are Class 2, also second hand turbines which have been used to claim fits or RoCs are not eligible for Feed in Tariff

Quote Originally Posted by Tanner View Post
    With a 20% cut in Tariff coming in April and another 10% in October , you will need a lot more than 6M/s wind speed to make your investment viable.

If you still want to proceed choose a Class 3 Turbine, the Vestas referred to are Class 2, also second hand turbines which have been used to claim fits or RoCs are not eligible for Feed in Tariff
    that is true but buy one from europe,they will qualify. i have a v27 up which came from germany

assuming your wind speed is 6 m/s pencil in a max return/year of 80k not some inflated figures that salemen gave you

what do you mean by a class 3 turbine?

Quote Originally Posted by zsnotdead View Post
    assuming your wind speed is 6 m/s pencil in a max return/year of 80k not some inflated figures that salemen gave you
    yep excactly what I am doing.probably thinking on a return of 70-75k.p/a

Quote Originally Posted by zsnotdead View Post
    that is true but buy one from europe,they will qualify. i have a v27 up which came from germany
    The Feed in Tariff rules for Northern Ireland are different though arn`t they? Pretty sure you can not install refurbished equipment in the rest of the UK

what do you mean by a class 3 turbine?

yep excactly what I am doing.probably thinking on a return of 70-75k.p/a
    a Class 3 Turbine is designed to operate on sites up to 7.5M/s a class 2 up to 8.5M/s Class 1 above that. A class 3 turbine will generally have a larger rotor diameter i.e swept area making it more efficient in lower wind speed areas

The Feed in Tariff rules for Northern Ireland are different though arn`t they? Pretty sure you can not install refurbished equipment in the rest of the UK
    yes,we can only get rocs,4 rocs/unit. we can use new or refurdished turbines although no turbine can be used that was previous used in GB for fit payments

a Class 3 Turbine is designed to operate on sites up to 7.5M/s a class 2 up to 8.5M/s Class 1 above that. A class 3 turbine will generally have a larger rotor diameter i.e swept area making it more efficient in lower wind speed areas
    cheers tanner. don't suppose there's a list of which ones are class 3? in 225 and 50kw.

cheers tanner. don't suppose there's a list of which ones are class 3? in 225 and 50kw.
    Not sure you need to get too hung up on class. Rotor diameter is the single most important thing. You don't say where you are located?

In the 225kW region you've Norwin (endurance), WTN and Turbowinds 400kW machines. Turbowinds will give the best return but needs larger investment, but all 3 have similar tip heights. Prob best to budget for 500k to 750k in total.

BTW how did they arrive at 6ms? Was it just off the NOABL database or did they use some slightly more accurate methodology? If it's NOABL then you may well end up disappointed.

couple of questions.

would you consider buying a wind turbine if the desktop survey came back with 6m/s?

and which would be the best turbine for that speed?

thanks.
    If your desktop was based on noabl windspeed i would forget about it,by the time you get planning,grid etc sorted out you will be looking at least 30% cut in fit's,personally don't think it would be worth the hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by HAM135 View Post
    If your desktop was based on noabl windspeed i would forget about it,by the time you get planning,grid etc sorted out you will be looking at least 30% cut in fit's,personally don't think it would be worth the hassle.
    +1 Only the best sites are going to be viable from now on. Noabl is only a guide and I would not make an investment based on that alone. Knock 0.5 m/s of Noabl then a 30% cut in Fit . it may give you a better idea of returns

NOABL is undoubtedly not to be trusted...at least not as a basis for large investments. It's also true that NOABL does tend to over estimate wind speed on some sites but it is also, albeit less often, unduly pessimistic.

You could consider having a 'virtual met mast' study done by the met office. I think the cost is around 1,500 but if you are planning on going ahead establishing wind resource is fundamental.

As for FITs dropping in the coming years, this is certainly true. That said, current rates at 18p/Kwh (for a 225kw) plus 7p/kwh or thereabouts for the selling on etc mean that even a 20% drop which is likely before grid offer and planning can be gained, amounts to a drop from 25p to 21.6p assuming that electricity sold back to the grid doesn't rise which it most likely will.

Whilst far from a 'slam dunk' as our American cousins might say I'm not sure it's yet time to shut up shop.

Check the grid connection before planning might save you a lot of time wasted on getting planning and finding out there's not a socket for you're plug

Quote Originally Posted by Robertybobberty View Post

As for FITs dropping in the coming years, this is certainly true. That said, current rates at 18p/Kwh (for a 225kw) plus 7p/kwh or thereabouts for the selling on etc mean that even a 20% drop which is likely before grid offer and planning can be gained, amounts to a drop from 25p to 21.6p assuming that electricity sold back to the grid doesn't rise which it most likely will.

Whilst far from a 'slam dunk' as our American cousins might say I'm not sure it's yet time to shut up shop.
    Agree with that. Where are you getting 7p from RB? I've been quoted 6p ish for when ours goes live. Also the indexation of FITs is something that will improve returns over time for projects that look a little marginal.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGrohl View Post
    Agree with that. Where are you getting 7p from RB? I've been quoted 6p ish for when ours goes live. Also the indexation of FITs is something that will improve returns over time for projects that look a little marginal.
    Are you putting a 225kw up

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGrohl View Post
    Opus are paying me 5.8p based on an output of 1900Mwhrs per year. Signed up in August for one year. 7 p will be one hell of a rate if you can get. Let us know whos quoting that

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Are you putting a 225kw up
    500kW. Trying to get planning also for a relative for a 225/400kW.

Hi

Sadly it's not me that's getting the rate. I was given the figure which I think was 6.8p incl LEC from a maintenance company that was doing a joint venture with a neighbour. No reason to think he was talking BS but you never know. Sadly I don't know who with but if I find out I'll post here.

QUOTE=DaveGrohl;208131]Agree with that. Where are you getting 7p from RB? I've been quoted 6p ish for when ours goes live. Also the indexation of FITs is something that will improve returns over time for projects that look a little marginal.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Check the grid connection before planning might save you a lot of time wasted on getting planning and finding out there's not a socket for you're plug
    that's the most important bit,unfortunately the line only has capacity for a 20kw, so have had western power out and i'm going to pay for the full quote and proceed with planning.so far it looks like a c&f 20 will be the one I go for.

that's the most important bit,unfortunately the line only has capacity for a 20kw, so have had western power out and i'm going to pay for the full quote and proceed with planning.so far it looks like a c&f 20 will be the one I go for.
    Chap down this way got one of those-never see it turning much???

At 6m/s and a grid only able to take 20Kw you'd probably be better off with a Gaia. You won't have to worry about dumping excess load (as the C&F peaks above 20Kw) and for a 6m/s site the Gaia will produce as much as the C&F20 (especially if C&F turn the thing off remotely when they think a storm is coming).
    Last couple of days my Gaia has been producing over 200kW/hr per day whilst the neighbours C&F20 has been remotely shut down. Not much good if the manufacturers don't have confidence in their own product and shut it down when there is a whiff of a stiff breeze!

Quote Originally Posted by windylamb View Post
    At 6m/s and a grid only able to take 20Kw you'd probably be better off with a Gaia. You won't have to worry about dumping excess load (as the C&F peaks above 20Kw) and for a 6m/s site the Gaia will produce as much as the C&F20 (especially if C&F turn the thing off remotely when they think a storm is coming).
    Last couple of days my Gaia has been producing over 200kW/hr per day whilst the neighbours C&F20 has been remotely shut down. Not much good if the manufacturers don't have confidence in their own product and shut it down when there is a whiff of a stiff breeze!
    They know if they don't the blades will shear off its happened to two up here

Quote Originally Posted by windylamb View Post
    how much roughly is the gaia? take it it's the 11kw you mean. know of someone who has a c&f20 and can turn it back on after they have remotely switched it off.

Yes, the Gaia is 11kw.
    Mine cost 58K all in, including 3 phase upgrade of 8.5K, so fifty grand. That was in 2011 on a lattice and 150m of cable.
    I did all the excavation myself and bought the concrete - big savings there. Some installers seem to get a price for concrete, cable, whatever, then add a 15% taking the piss fee. And I paid nothing until it was delivered and off the lorry. Final payment when it was running and showing on the Fit meter.