Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: turbine for 6m/s

Re: turbine for 6m/s

Quote Originally Posted by lady pumpkin View Post
    that's the most important bit,unfortunately the line only has capacity for a 20kw, so have had western power out and i'm going to pay for the full quote and proceed with planning.so far it looks like a c&f 20 will be the one I go for.
    What about putting up 2 kingspan/proven 6kw turbines?

Simple technology ,work in any wind speed, maintain them yourself, cheaper?

Gaia is hard to beat in the under 20kW size. It is interesting that in Northern Ireland there is no local agent for C+F any more. The question is why...

Quote Originally Posted by quattro_tdi View Post
    Gaia is hard to beat in the under 20kW size. It is interesting that in Northern Ireland there is no local agent for C+F any more. The question is why...
    Linton and Robinson were a crap agent anyway we're within a few hours drive off the factory.

Two smaller 6kW turbines are more expensive than one 11kw turbine and much less likely to produce anything like the large turbine. Planners may say it's a good idea and more likely to get planning but it's not their money.
    Saying that so long as you make a well thought out planning application (not in a National Park or AONB) then the current planning guidance makes it pretty much assured you'll get permission (might be on appeal though). Applications fail where there is likely to be excess noise, shadow flicker, adjacent road or bridleway but most fail because the applicant simply has not presented sufficient material. And now for the big turbines, you need to include amplitude modulation as that's now recognised as a real thing. Forget to include something and forget the planning permission.

Quote Originally Posted by windylamb View Post
    Two smaller 6kW turbines are more expensive than one 11kw turbine and much less likely to produce anything like the large turbine. Planners may say it's a good idea and more likely to get planning but it's not their money.
    Saying that so long as you make a well thought out planning application (not in a National Park or AONB) then the current planning guidance makes it pretty much assured you'll get permission (might be on appeal though). Applications fail where there is likely to be excess noise, shadow flicker, adjacent road or bridleway but most fail because the applicant simply has not presented sufficient material. And now for the big turbines, you need to include amplitude modulation as that's now recognised as a real thing. Forget to include something and forget the planning permission.
    A friend of mine wants to put 3/ 3.5 kw Windspot turbines up ?
    Any one know much of these as not many in this country ,write up on Navitron and tests look promiseing ???

How can 3x 3.5kw make sense? Too small a swept area to produce anything meaningful. Too short a tower unless you want guyed wires everywhere and too expensive. Just can't see how that can make any sense - unless he is getting them free from people who realise a 3.5kw is too small (unless you're on some wind swept island off the west coast of Scotland).
    I'd be interested to see the sums.
    I did price up an Evance 5kw vs Gaia 11kw a few years ago and as far as I can remember the Evance was about 30K and the Gaia 58K, all in. BUT the Evance would take 19 years to pay itself back and the Gaia 6 years. So 2 Evance (60K) and 20 payback vs 1 Gaia (60K) with 6 years payback, no brainer. Probably worse figures for 3 smaller turbines.

Quote Originally Posted by RGT View Post
    A friend of mine wants to put 3/ 3.5 kw Windspot turbines up ?
    Any one know much of these as not many in this country ,write up on Navitron and tests look promiseing ???
    I think my electrician has put up a few for Clean Power Solutions (whose website seems down at the minute),
    I'll ask though I agree with windylamb that 3x3.5 does sound like a daft idea compared to 1x11.

Quote Originally Posted by lady pumpkin View Post
    so far it looks like a c&f 20 will be the one I go for.
    Can I ask what output you have been quoted for a CF20 at 6m/s?

According to the brochure would be 66930 kWh/year but that brochure may be out of date because C&F have gone back to using Auroras raher than GenDrives so more realistic output is 53860.

How can 3x 3.5kw make sense? Too small a swept area to produce anything meaningful. Too short a tower unless you want guyed wires everywhere and too expensive. Just can't see how that can make any sense - unless he is getting them free from people who realise a 3.5kw is too small (unless you're on some wind swept island off the west coast of Scotland).
    I'd be interested to see the sums.
    I did price up an Evance 5kw vs Gaia 11kw a few years ago and as far as I can remember the Evance was about 30K and the Gaia 58K, all in. BUT the Evance would take 19 years to pay itself back and the Gaia 6 years. So 2 Evance (60K) and 20 payback vs 1 Gaia (60K) with 6 years payback, no brainer. Probably worse figures for 3 smaller turbines.
    I can't understand it ither and with an un heard of make ?
    Maybe some one hard sell and as 3 houses and 3 phase gone down indvidual property route but like to said gaia 11kw or Proven/kingspan better options???
    But -so small and all that cost and work?

Yes, even one of their 7.5kw turbines would make more sense. They do do a 1kw turbine so you could have a dozen of those just to be sure

Yes, even one of their 7.5kw turbines would make more sense. They do do a 1kw turbine so you could have a dozen of those just to be sure
    Unless its a new planning angle as lots of applications go-ing in recently for groups of 2 turbines - maybe drop one if objections etc.?Things like that ??

If I was looking for a 10kw macine I'd seriously consider a Tozzi Nord TN535
    http://www.tozzinord.com/main/index.php?id_pag=81

Looks good on paper but I've not yet seen or heard one.

Yes Tom, that tozzinord thing seems to be designed for the same conditions as the Gaia, big swept area for kw rating BUT I couldn't find one in the UK when I was starting my project and effectively no back up if things went T's up - probably more suppliers in the UK now? Still you really need a critical mass with these things so there are enough of them about to support a maintenance and parts business. No good waiting 6 months for a part - bad enough with common turbines!