Thread: Outdoor IP Cameras

Outdoor IP Cameras

I am looking to install some IP camera's outside as there are too many stray vehicles landing especially when I am not around and I have a neighbour who you can't trust making the odd passing through.

My farm outbuildings are networked underground with cat5e so I have no problem sticking a camera outside one. I have a server in the house which I want to use as the recording machine if thats posible.

This probably has been discussed in the old forum but anyhow, I am looking for recommendations for outdoor cameras for my job.

I have been looking at several brands but there are so many +'s & -'s like for instance, the y-cam's have issues. Has anyone used any 'Lilin' branded camera's?

Cheers.

Re: Outdoor IP Cameras

Nope, on the old BFF Sleepy preferred Axis cameras due to build quality and software, they are at the pricier end of the market though.
    Stay in Northamptonshire - meadowviewcottages.co.uk

I am setting aside 500 per camera but less the better so Axis should be with in budget. I'll investigate them.

Are you looking for static cameras or pan/tilt or pan/tilt/zoom? I quite like the look of these and Networkwebcams offer a great advice service if you've got a good idea of what you want but not which make or model etc.

For statics, its worth paying the money, ive used used axis units to keep costs down, all via cat5 all over the farm, back to a central server which records / streams for remote viewing etc... also bear in mind if there IR camera, non IR are a total waste of time in the dark...

Quote Originally Posted by darrenjlobb View Post
    For statics, its worth paying the money, ive used used axis units to keep costs down, all via cat5 all over the farm, back to a central server which records / streams for remote viewing etc... also bear in mind if there IR camera, non IR are a total waste of time in the dark...
    Depends a bit on the area to be covered though, if you are looking to cover a large area a floodlight with a PIR on it soon enables a non IR camera to work pretty well (assuming you don't aim the camera at the light...).

Which axis cameras are you using darren?

Yeah thats true, ive noticed the axis units im using are very good at making the most of the light, its clear as day until very dusk, just when its totally dark there useless..but with a light you would be fine...

Im using mainly axis 211b units, so fairly old..there good enough for what i want (ive put them in external enclosures) it would be nice to have higher res....but the cost goes up significantly...I also have a cheap chinease PTZ i use for lambing / calving, but would like to upgrade this to a decent unit, just unsure which is best at the moment...

I thought about a camera to pan etc but then thought its better to have it fixed on the exact spot I want to watch. I mentioned Lilin http://www.networkwebcams.co.uk/prod...oducts_id=1430 as they seemed good for the money.

A lot of these camera's offer you a choice of lens. What size of lens should one be opting for?

The one you linked to has a wide angle 3-12mm or a more regular 9-12mm view.
    It will depend on the area you want to cover, since that one is 1080 HD the 'making things smaller' effect of the wide angle will be less of a problem.
    The wide one would be especially useful indoors perhaps.

These "camaras"

If a car or van go past the camara will it pick up the number plate in daylight?

"Passing through the yards or drives".

If you can't read the number plates from the monitor, whats the point, as you would'nt be able to

trace them!!
    Last edited by Yesterday; 28-03-13 at 11:14 PM.

Yes, these high end IP cameras will pick up the number plate especially the high def one's in daylight. For me, reading the number plate is important cause one phone call and I can have everything I need to know about that vehicle.

It would be pointless like you said to fork out 300+ on a camera if you can't read the number plate.