Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435
Results 1,021 to 1,046 of 1046

Thread: Scottish independence

Re: Scottish independence

You lot are daft!

If Scotland wouldve now been fecked, then the UK is well and truely fucked!! Georgey boy cant balance his books in a good year, nevermind trying with the loss of revenue from oil. The defecit hasnt been eaten into atall and billions more of cuts are coming to keep us standing still. Forget recession, we are heading full steam ahead into deflation.

Like it or not Scotland balances her books every year - she legally has to - and runs a surplus some years, with a £10b shortfall in what is generated here. All that without the oil revenue we suposedly couldnt survive without. Some people need to open their eyes.
    If in doubt, yank it out!

The SNP are great at the blame game its always Westminsters fault, part of me wishes that they had won so they would have had no one to blame but themselves..............I was stupid enough to vote for these clowns once but saw the light as it were, lots of SNP voters will simply believe what their told..........cue Brave heart music and waving flags also throw in plenty anti English, anti tory guff as well!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nithsdale Farmer View Post
    You lot are daft!

If Scotland wouldve now been fecked, then the UK is well and truely fucked!! Georgey boy cant balance his books in a good year, nevermind trying with the loss of revenue from oil. The defecit hasnt been eaten into atall and billions more of cuts are coming to keep us standing still. Forget recession, we are heading full steam ahead into deflation.

Like it or not Scotland balances her books every year - she legally has to - and runs a surplus some years, with a £10b shortfall in what is generated here. All that without the oil revenue we suposedly couldnt survive without. Some people need to open their eyes.
    So what your saying in essence with the Pound, low interest rates, sharing HMRC, BCMS, DVLA and all other bodies, resonable taxation, open markets to rUK & Europe, Scotlands doing ok then...........so were Better together

The UK is leaving the EU, and those trade agreements will be ripped up (along with OUR human rights). UKIP and the far right Tory back benchers will see to that!! UK agriculture, left in Westminsters hands,is closer to extinction then ever before.
    If in doubt, yank it out!

what is wrong with being european, better together as they say

How does leaving the EU risk our human rights?

The UK is leaving the EU, and those trade agreements will be ripped up (along with OUR human rights). UKIP and the far right Tory back benchers will see to that!! UK agriculture, left in Westminsters hands,is closer to extinction then ever before.
    I'll give you one thing you seem to know more than most, not only do you know for sure were having a vote (maybe) but you also know the outcome.

I'm far from certain uk would vote to leave time will tell, the Yes voters were telling us they had definitely won if there arrogance was anything to judge by...............now they just can't get over losing.........twas a conspircy, vote was rigged, the BBC was to blame, Better together cheated, I'm surprised the ailiens haven't been blamed..............we wuz ROBBED boohoo

I did vote SNP once to my shame to help farming I thought trouble is for every Richard Lochhead you get and I think he's done poorly on the CAP reforms you get a Jim Sillars and worse socalist nutters, remember "The Day of Reckoning" and they wonder how they lost

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politic...lars-1-3539754

He added: “BP, in an independent Scotland, will need to learn the meaning of nationalisation, in part or in whole, as it has in other countries who have not been as soft as we have forced to be. We will be the masters of the oil fields, not BP or any other of the majors.”

Heard today one of the big firms had nearly went bust as it was costing more to get the oil out than it was worth, 10% pay cuts for contracors, and pay freeze for staff and lay offs.

The risks were all predicted in this article in 2012

http://www.economist.com/node/21552564

Darien scheme...........RBS...........13 times Scotlands GDP............Tartan Iceland??

Dont confuse the Common Market and the EU.

There is plenty of evidence that a low oil price will have a net positive impact on the UK economy as a whole although Aberdeen may suffer badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    There is plenty of evidence that a low oil price will have a net positive impact on the UK economy as a whole although Aberdeen may suffer badly.
    It seems hard to see how the lost tax revenue can be made up - never thought I'd say it but since we are accustomed to oil around $100, going this low does not seem like a good thing.
    If opening new fields is no longer viable the result will be increased price volatility which isn't good for anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    It seems hard to see how the lost tax revenue can be made up - never thought I'd say it but since we are accustomed to oil around $100, going this low does not seem like a good thing.
    If opening new fields is no longer viable the result will be increased price volatility which isn't good for anyone.
    The UK has been a net importer of crude since 2005 and a net importer of petroleum products since 2013 And both trends are going in the direction of more imports in the future. If oil is not worth drilling for at 50 a barrel then we may as well buy it in as drill our own resources. They may come in handy later on.

Well again we see the major flaw in the UK economy. A low oil price SHOULD help by reducing fuel and energy prices generally, therefore putting more spending power in the pocket of the consumer.

However, given that more spending power now translates to even greater imports of foreign goods sold by huge corporations who take the profits out of the country without even paying tax on them, a "consumer boom" is of increasingly little benefit to the economy.

Something which the media seem to be very slow to pick up on!

The low oil price is a huge benefit to the uk economy, as i have said repeatly that osborne should chop his fuel duty in half if he wanted a real recovery.
    Its quite funny how england will have to keep scotland now with only half the oil revenue. A bit like marrying an heiress only to find her fortune has bolted.
    And N ireland is to get control of corporation tax but we cant?????

Quote Originally Posted by danseyspass View Post
    The low oil price is a huge benefit to the uk economy, as i have said repeatly that osborne should chop his fuel duty in half if he wanted a real recovery.
    Its quite funny how england will have to keep scotland now with only half the oil revenue. A bit like marrying an heiress only to find her fortune has bolted.
    And N ireland is to get control of corporation tax but we cant?????
    That is dependent on our politicians/terrorists actually managing to govern this province for a sustained period before there next manufactured row.

You lot are daft!

Low Oil Price Generally means more tax revenue for the Govt - they Tax ALL Fuel sold remember - and people buy more! (we are a net importer remember) So loss of revenue from the oil is counteracted

And legally having to 'Balance the Book' what on earth are you on about - whilst they may have to do that, that DOES NOT mean they LEGALLY have to MAKE MORE THAN THEY SPEND.... that's just total nonsense, the legality is that they just have to account for it!

I was trying not to get involved with this thread as I don't really have an opinion but there really is some duff info that has been spread about!

I agree, there is an awful lot of BS.
    I think we are better together, but there are those if the oil became worthless would still vote for independence, just like someone once said ' The Irish don't know what they want but there are willing to fight for it anyway. In many ways there is an awful lot of selfishness involved in that I want my own ideal and it doesn't matter if the country is worse of off, I still have MY ideal world.

I wish this oil slump had come 4 or 5 months ago, i don't know if low oil revenues are compensated from increased consumption at the pump, but it doesn't really matter, it would have made a complete mockery of the snp's plans and i think it would have curtailed the surge yes had in the last few weeks of the campaign. And then perhaps we would not have had this vow which i though the second i heard it was a massive mistake, the snp can now play the "scotland was tricked" card till its hearts content.
    the whole thing is very tedious....

The saudis just got their timing slightly wrong, the oil price slump was supposed to happen in august as agreed, to derail the YES vote.

The saudis just got their timing slightly wrong, the oil price slump was supposed to happen in august as agreed, to derail the YES vote.
    What a load of nonsense. The Saudis couldn't give two hoots about Scotland. The oil price slump is to ensure North America doesn't become self sufficient in carbon energy and it's all about making franked gas uneconomical to extract.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyingscotsman View Post
    What a load of nonsense. The Saudis couldn't give two hoots about Scotland. The oil price slump is to ensure North America doesn't become self sufficient in carbon energy and it's all about making franked gas uneconomical to extract.
    Your theory is equally nonsensical.

Your theory is equally nonsensical.
    Only if you take the "franked" gas literally

What is your explanation?

JV

Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post
    Only if you take the "franked" gas literally

What is your explanation?

JV
    To give putin trouble i thought.

To give putin trouble i thought.
    Could be, but why would the Saudis want to give an ex KGB man a hard time?

JV

Could it be related Saudi displeasure at Russian military hardware sales to Iran- whom the Saudi regime view at their regional enemy.

Look on Twitter or Google for "Berlin or Bust" a Telegraph article on Saudi Arabia's plans to bust oil producers. They are betting everything on breaking its competitors.

There wil be blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew100 View Post
    Look on Twitter or Google for "Berlin or Bust" a Telegraph article on Saudi Arabia's plans to bust oil producers. They are betting everything on breaking its competitors.

There wil be blood.
    If we were independent right now salmond would be running about shouting that this is "not in scotlands interests" more worryingly though he actually thinks people like the Saudies should listen to him!

I guess a lot will depend on what the global economy does in the next year or so, certainly seems to be a feeling that we will see a slow down at best, and at worst it all goes arse over tit, nothing really fundamentally changed since 08, just plastered over the cracks. either way both would push oil prices down for what could be a sustained period. a lot of uncertainty lies ahead...