Thread: Marshall Muckspreader

Marshall Muckspreader

Has anyone had experience of the Marshall muck spreaders that have a front mounted ram that pushes out the load rather than having a chain & slat moving floor system ?
    Just thinking of low maintenance options
    All comments great fully appreciated

Re: Marshall Muckspreader

what are you wanting to spread

never heard much good reports, ram pushing load changes speed as it moves

Guy that sells them told me that the biggest fault with them is that the driver cannot see the load in the spreader and can end up pushing the muck too quickly forward with the result being that the muck falls over the back of the pusher jamming the pusher up as it goes back to the beginning of its stroke. This would seem to be one of those things that experience would avoid but you don't see many about. On the other hand a neighbour has a Dowdeswell one and says it goes well.

They're not so good if you get something you shouldn't in the muck, with a chain and slats you can reverse it to get the offending object away from the rotors but a ram only moves the load one way.

Have had the 9t version for 11 years.
    Simple reliable machine but as said already spread not as even as others due to ram increasing in speed as it goes through the different stages. Only problem we've ever had was a broken ram replaced under warranty in first year. Put new bearings on top of the rotors last year plus a couple of hoses and that's been it.

You soon learn to work round the ram speed. For me it's just a case of going up through the dyna6 box as you go.
    Never found it a problem seeing the load in the spreader. If you fill it too high it can spill over the front of the pushing plate but is then just pulled back to the front of the machine when you retract once empty.

Never had a problem with offending objects jamming. Has chucked out any of our stone floors that went trough it no problem as well as the 2'x2' drain cover I accidentally lifted one time.

Would say it's a good farmers machine compared to barrel spreader but not for a contractor.

Thanks for all your replies, currently looking at options but the fact it speeds up as the rams extend sort of puts me off. We need consistency of spread, not so bad if your the only operator, but as a contractor employing casual staff it would create a 'world of pain' perhaps

I have one got it new in 04 apart from some problems at the start with the ram that was replaced no probs I think it's a great thing only bad thing is you can't reverse it to take the dung away from the beaters if you have a foreign object needed removed but our dung never has stones in it but even then I have spread stuff with stone and it just fired them out the back! If you fill the spreader to high you will get the dung pilling up over the top of the bar above the beaters? As for the speed of ram it has a control valve for this if you set it up right it should work fine plus the later ones you get now have a improved set up to control this! Ave heard of some people trying to control the flow themselves by the feathering the tractor spool but can't see this being good at the end of the day there's no floor chains to wear out plus it runs rings round a rotaspreader

we had one on hire once and didnt rate it much. As previously said you ouldnt get a constant speed from the rams and we did have muck go over the plate and behind the ram.

Our rear-discharge Vantage spreaders have use a flow control valve that reduces the flow on oil to each ram stage as the ram goes out to ensure it stays at a constant speed. This is the third generation of valve and has never been easier to set-up, and if you do have problems we are more than happy to talk you through the set-up on the phone.

The design of our spreaders means they have a deeper box since there is no need to leave space for floor chains to cycle round. The result of this is a box that can carry the stated capacity without the need to heap it too high. However on the latest generation of spreader the top of the door has been extended to help prevent muck coming over the top.

The spreader is protected from stones going through the beater by polyurethane couplings that reduces any shock loads. This is combined with a 10mm shearbolt to add further protection. It also worth noting that the beaters are designed with a gap at the bottom to allow reasonable sized stones to escape.

In addition our spreaders also have the following benefits:
    1. No floor chains removes the traditional problem of chains wearing and eventually breaking. The ram on our spreader is a 4-stage chrome, industrial ram that has been specifically engineered and designed for our spreader range, ensuring excellent reliability.
    2. Maintenance - the only regular maintenance requirements is to grease the bearings and check the oil level in the gearbox. When we were designing our spreader the aim was to make it as simple as a rotor spreader to maintain.
    3. Gearbox - we use a 160hp one piece gearbox that is over-engineered for the task it is carrying out. It is also protected from damage underneath the spreader by a steel plate.
    4. Rotors & Tips - our rotors are produced in-house out of 12mm steel plates that are fully-balanced. Each rotor has 28 fully reversible tips that are secured by a socket in addition to bolts.
    5. Slurry - every model comes with a slurry door as standard. Since our spreaders have no gaps for floor chains it can hold and spread slurry since it is a fully sealed box.
    6. Axle Position & Ground Clearance - the axle on our models can be moved further back since we have no need for a gearbox to drive the floor chains, this reduces weight transfer when spreading for a more stable machine. In addition the ground clearance of the spreader is excellent because we don't have to have space for floor chains to cycle round.
    7. Residual Value - the second hand value has also proven to be excellent since our mechanism is simply a ram; there is very little to go wrong compared to a floor chain model.

It is a simple design but it does work. Since we begun production 11 years ago we have sold over 1000 machines, as far away as Papua New Guinea, Poland and Australia. If anyone would like to discuss this in more detail then please do not hesitate to contact us on 01224 722777.

kind regards,
    Charles Marshall

I 'm wondering if there are 2 designs of these Marshal spreaders? I see there is a 3 year old one in the FW that looks like it pushes the load front to back. But I thought the one I saw years ago pushed back to front like the Dowdeswell. Otherwise the point about not been able to see the muck coming over the pusher wouldn't be true would it?

Not 100% sure on that but from what I've seen they did them with floor chains first then the ram pushing the muck to the rear and I think they were making like that back in 2000 and maybe before mines a 04

Buy a Bunning ,build quality second to none :-)