Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mengele Sh40/ pottinger mex 6/ something else???

Mengele Sh40/ pottinger mex 6/ something else???

Hi I am in the process of looking for a decent second hand forager on the back of large bills, poor clamp consolidation and limited flexibility especially on a wet year when using contractors. We also already have all the other machines and staff needed. Suggestions or advice would be great. It's for picking up around 250 acres a year following a rake putting 30ft into swath. We have a 150 hp tractor due to be changed to something bigger. Is one of the above mentioned foragers suitable and if so which one? Or should I look at something else.

Re: Mengele Sh40/ pottinger mex 6/ something else???

one vote for the mex6, good harvester to take grass!!!

You've got time to look around for a tidy 2nd hand self propelled for that acreage. I dragged a Mengele 40 around for years until this year when we went for a spf and now I think why didn't we do it years ago?
    Ring David Cowking to see what he's got. 01200 446622
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

Mex 6 is a great machine. Parts are shocking expensive so buy a good one that doesn't need much fixing.
    I've lifted many thousands of acres with mine and know it inside out.
    Imho 150hp and a machine set up properly with sharp knives, good shearbar and blades coming tight to it will be perfectly adequate. Poor consolidation is usually a result of grass coming in too quickly and just getting bulldozed out of the way instead of being evenly spread over he pit. There's no point trying to match a contractor for output. It doesn't all need to come in on the same day!!!

Have run a SH40 and a mex 6.The Mengele is the better machine especially if you have more than 175hp to chuck at it.
    Parts expensive for mengele and the mex.
    We would have a John Deere 6910 SPFH for sale.Depends on your budget really.If you have 8000 to spend then go for the Mengele but with a budget of 15-20000
    You will buy a very good but older self propelled.
    We also have a neighbour who has a very tidy New Holland 1900 for sale for very little money

I brought a JF1060 beginning of the year to replace our 17yr old JF900........ I now own a SPF. The record was 6acres chopping from being repaired by dealer to JF specifications and then falling apart again, really disappointed as the previous was so good, but SPF has transformed the job but we do about 1500acres grass a year and now do our own wholecrop and maize as well.

I'd try the Mex6, but never a JF!

Personally I don't think 250acres a year would justify having to look at a self propelled for a year. I used to lift over 400 acres with Mex 6 each year when I contracted a bit. All in single rows with 110hp tractor most of it tow filled.I Don.t know much about them but can't imagine repair bills will be cheaper and there's an engine and transmission that only goes full blast for a few hours per year to worry about.Harvester can be parked up and tractor used for other work.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    Hi I am in the process of looking for a decent second hand forager on the back of large bills, poor clamp consolidation and limited flexibility especially on a wet year when using contractors. We also already have all the other machines and staff needed. Suggestions or advice would be great. It's for picking up around 250 acres a year following a rake putting 30ft into swath. We have a 150 hp tractor due to be changed to something bigger. Is one of the above mentioned foragers suitable and if so which one? Or should I look at something else.
    Would you consider a wagon , less fuel , less tractors , less men , less headackes , and silage that cows prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by grassmanman View Post
    Personally I don't think 250acres a year would justify having to look at a self propelled for a year. I used to lift over 400 acres with Mex 6 each year when I contracted a bit. All in single rows with 110hp tractor most of it tow filled.I Don.t know much about them but can't imagine repair bills will be cheaper and there's an engine and transmission that only goes full blast for a few hours per year to worry about.Harvester can be parked up and tractor used for other work.

Exactly what I thought until we bought one. A new Lely storm / Mengele 40 is pushing on for 40 grand. 15 will but a tidy sp easily capable of 70 acres a day if you want. Plenty of 2nd hand trailed foragers around for little money though if you're not convinced of the sp. We dropped on a lovely NH 1905 and I won't go back. Three 9ft rows in one and travelling the same speed as one 9ft row with the trailed machine.

Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

Get an old self propelled, you won't regret it, higher output than any trailed, in my experience breaks down a hell of a lot less, we swapped a mex 6 for a 95 jag 800 and I'm glad we did, never had the hp for a trailed to get close and why buy a 250hp tractor for a few days on the chopper? Ours was 12k at the time and a good trailed would have been that and more without a tractor!!!

Which brand self propelled though? Which is most farmer friendly. All a good idea in theory but Claas parts prices can be 'exciting' no?

Surely the reduced workload will mean running costs of a self propelled will be much reduced and they will live a long time. Gotta be handy with spanners though, but anyone running a trailed will be pretty sorted in that respect anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    Which brand self propelled though? Which is most farmer friendly. All a good idea in theory but Claas parts prices can be 'exciting' no?

Surely the reduced workload will mean running costs of a self propelled will be much reduced and they will live a long time. Gotta be handy with spanners though, but anyone running a trailed will be pretty sorted in that respect anyway.
    I ran a class 840 and then a 860 before I switched to the wagons , if I was buying a sp in the morning , I would stick with the class , you can keep rebuilding them , and if you can find a class 840 with 3/4000 hrs in good condition it will last years.

Quote Originally Posted by James d geoghegan View Post
    I ran a class 840 and then a 860 before I switched to the wagons , if I was buying a sp in the morning , I would stick with the class , you can keep rebuilding them , and if you can find a class 840 with 3/4000 hrs in good condition it will last years.
    Agreed, CLAAS is the only option!

mengele.co.uk

talk to john
    get an sh 40 he will give you second to none service and back up

Quote Originally Posted by Andy6480 View Post
    Agreed, CLAAS is the only option!
    Claas is defiantly not the only option.
    We have run a John Deere 6910 doing anything up to a thousand acres a year with very little trouble.
    I would not really worry about the make but look for a machine that is in very good condition .
    We have currently bought a John Deere 6750 with under 1600 chopping hours.We went to look at 6 different 7000 series foragers before we bought the 6850,they where either completely worn out or been hammered to death.
    Buy the right machine and you won't look back

Quote Originally Posted by Oh Deere View Post
    Claas is defiantly not the only option.
    We have run a John Deere 6910 doing anything up to a thousand acres a year with very little trouble.
    I would not really worry about the make but look for a machine that is in very good condition .
    We have currently bought a John Deere 6750 with under 1600 chopping hours.We went to look at 6 different 7000 series foragers before we bought the 6850,they where either completely worn out or been hammered to death.
    Buy the right machine and you won't look back
    best of luck with the 6750 ,
    i hope you dont get engine trouble with it as i heard of a few of them through a con rod out of the side

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
    i hope you dont get engine trouble with it as i heard of a few of them through a con rod out of the side
    Engine trouble would be my biggest fear with an older SP , Ive heard of a 30k bill for a class 860 merc engine that blew up .

Same here, always overheating, and header hasn't got crop rollers

Never had any engine trouble,same engine as in 6850 etc.
    Currently have over 4000 hours on a 6910 with no engine trouble but that is a cummins.
    I'm afraid that make doesn't mean anything to me.All I want is a machine to do a job and supply me with a good quality of living.
    BUT if where going to have a who's got the biggest tool in the spanner box competition , you forgot to mention all them Merc engines that dropped valves,with
    nasty outcomes.Three in our area did this last year.
    My point is that if this Gentleman had a budget of 20000 , then I would recommend the John Deere.You would get a forager in alot better condition and hours for this amount of money.

Wagon is a no brainer for the acres mentioned

Before I saw the light and went to bales , I used to run an old SP , a 5820 JD ( sold it to a fellow BFF-er ) . Although I had to spend a bit to keep it going , it only cost me 4000. When running it could do 70 acre a day without pushing it hard . It is a bit of a myth that they are any more expensive to run than a trailed machine . The wearing parts , bearings , chains are heavier to cope with the higher output , but not necessarily more expensive as a result .
    And every part is available , not only from JD , helped by the still continued building of a trailed version in the US ( 3975 , which has the same pickup , feed assembly , drum and chute ) , but there are a number of independent manufacturers who supply , often superior quality , parts for less . www.maizeparts.com , www.kooima.com.
    The big danger , as others have said is if some of the big drive components fail , then it's game over . But anyone running a SP , whether it's a brand new one or a 40 year old one should really have a complete spare . If you are doing your own silage , you need to have a Plan B .
    And these big components will last longer if the machine is kept serviced ( keeping the radiator clean ) and only running it at 80 to 90% of capacity .
    And of course there is the maize and wholecrop capability .
    The views posted are mine and not those of my employers

Quote Originally Posted by deere2140 View Post
    Before I saw the light and went to bales , I used to run an old SP , a 5820 JD ( sold it to a fellow BFF-er ) . Although I had to spend a bit to keep it going , it only cost me 4000. When running it could do 70 acre a day without pushing it hard . It is a bit of a myth that they are any more expensive to run than a trailed machine . The wearing parts , bearings , chains are heavier to cope with the higher output , but not necessarily more expensive as a result .
    And every part is available , not only from JD , helped by the still continued building of a trailed version in the US ( 3975 , which has the same pickup , feed assembly , drum and chute ) , but there are a number of independent manufacturers who supply , often superior quality , parts for less . www.maizeparts.com , www.kooima.com.
    The big danger , as others have said is if some of the big drive components fail , then it's game over . But anyone running a SP , whether it's a brand new one or a 40 year old one should really have a complete spare . If you are doing your own silage , you need to have a Plan B .
    And these big components will last longer if the machine is kept serviced ( keeping the radiator clean ) and only running it at 80 to 90% of capacity .
    Plan B ___ Get a contractor!!!

a JF 1050 would be a good drag machine for your acreage, simple to maintain and operate 15k would buy you a good second hand machine , but 15K on a self propelled would buy you someone elses cast off pile of trouble unless you are very lucky, as said close to the top of the page, give david cowking a ring , he is a very decent fella and what he doesnt know about foragers aint worth knowing, he would advise you on what to get to suit your needs.

the price of plastic alone would half pay a contractor to leave all in the pit

the price of plastic alone would half pay a contractor to leave all in the pit
    I get your point , and if I was putting 10cwt of fert to the acre and taking 3 cuts then maybe , but I'm only taking one cut of what is only a lightish crop , and the plastic cost is no more than 12 an acre . I could get a contractor to chop by the hour , but since I don't make or feed that much now , it would take too long to go across the silage pit and I'd waste more than I make .
    Silage making is just a hobby for me , something to do with surplus grass . I could always take up golf instead , but I'm unlikely to pay someone else to play for me .

I get your point , and if I was putting 10cwt of fert to the acre and taking 3 cuts then maybe , but I'm only taking one cut of what is only a lightish crop , and the plastic cost is no more than 12 an acre . I could get a contractor to chop by the hour , but since I don't make or feed that much now , it would take too long to go across the silage pit and I'd waste more than I make .
    Silage making is just a hobby for me , something to do with surplus grass . I could always take up golf instead , but I'm unlikely to pay someone else to play for me .
    At last an honest answer.

Baled silage is not for a serious operation which examines it's cost / production ratio.

Quote Originally Posted by Courier View Post
    At last an honest answer.

Baled silage is not for a serious operation which examines it's cost / production ratio.
    I'm sorry , I didn't think I was being dishonest . Can I presume your talking about the high cost per tonne of net and stretch wrap and subsequent disposal costs ? That's difficult to get away from , no question , especially when the plastic cost per tonne for clamp silage could be lower than 10p per tonne .
    But by the same token , I've noticed a big saving in fuel costs per tonne , both in harvesting and feeding out .
    And then there is the cost of the clamp ( mine is 30 year old and goosed ) and effluent storage/disposal , together with albeit thorny issue of in-clamp losses .
    If I was back making 1000 tonne a year , I'd probably go back to clamp silage from the convenience factor , mostly because I could probably afford to .
    Edit . Forgot to say , another advantage of bales is that it's more convenient to take multiple cuts from different fields at differing stages of maturity .
    Each to their own , and sorry that the thread has been hijacked .

back to the original question i have fair bit of experience with the pottonger and mengele,not actually owned one but helping people with silage,have seen them both in bits few times but my opinion is the mengele is a far stronger built machine than pottinger,also seems to take bigger rows than pottinger far easier,dont know much about cost of running them,do know that they both need some grunt to make them perform well.

while i am jf at heart the only flywheel machine to get a look in would be the sh40, seen to many tenx and mex 6 problems but never here of the same stuff from mengle.

what was the difference in a ten blade flywheel as to a 12 blade on the older mengele sh40