Thread: Youtube, Google, Bas**rds!!!

Youtube, Google, Bas**rds!!!

I see our friends at G$$gle have been trying to force everyone to join google plus and amend other assorted crap for several months. It now appears I'm not allowed to comment, or even see comments on videos because I have had the cheek to resist!! Also all my widescreen videos seem to have inexplicably gained a ridiculously wide aspect ratio!! Oddly this isn't the case in the preview if you hover over the progress slider at the bottom.

Does this render over wide for anyone else?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhuIgGtyQr4

Re: Youtube, Google, Bas**rds!!!

Yes it does and I'm on google plus, I actually like it as the pictures I take are automatically put in my google plus account from my phone so if I want to put any up all I need do is go there and link it.
    If in doubt get a bigger hammer

There is some weird shit going on with You-tube ATM. I really cannot get my head round it any more. Seems so illogical and constantly trying to get you to change you name or do stuff you have no idea what it is!!!

Quote Originally Posted by v12cat View Post
    I see our friends at G$$gle have been trying to force everyone to join google plus and amend other assorted crap for several months. It now appears I'm not allowed to comment, or even see comments on videos because I have had the cheek to resist!! Also all my widescreen videos seem to have inexplicably gained a ridiculously wide aspect ratio!! Oddly this isn't the case in the preview if you hover over the progress slider at the bottom.

Does this render over wide for anyone else?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhuIgGtyQr4
    she's looking a bit phat here too

Hmm.. the aspect ratio is probably OK here.

Agree with the rest of the rant though.
    I used to have three accounts with different emails and it worked well - then they were always nagging about changing name and trying to make you merge accounts.
    I've almost given up trying to log-in to the older ones and just started two new ones using a laptop and desktop with separate google accounts.
    It's obviously all being done entirely to improve the customer experience..

The google+ problems also affect blogger which again I originally had three accounts but still hanging on with that so far, they will no doubt invent more improvements to make that almost impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Mog View Post
    There is some weird shit going on with You-tube ATM. I really cannot get my head round it any more. Seems so illogical and constantly trying to get you to change you name or do stuff you have no idea what it is!!!
    I can see the logic, but I disagree with it entirely. Their business is in knowing as much of our business as possible and selling it to the highest bidder, and dare I say supplying it to any agency that might construct a 'need' to know. Snowdon has demonstrated what most with half a brain already knew.

Yes its a bit on the wide side. Had a look at your channel, some are stretched, some aren't, seems a bit hit and miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Paw View Post
    Yes its a bit on the wide side. Had a look at your channel, some are stretched, some aren't, seems a bit hit and miss.
    It's all the widescreen ones that have been over stretched.

Very tempted to to delete the lot and upload them somewhere else.

I despise the whole ethos that Google has in its obsession with information gathering and linking of information.

I can see the logic, but I disagree with it entirely. Their business is in knowing as much of our business as possible and selling it to the highest bidder, and dare I say supplying it to any agency that might construct a 'need' to know. Snowdon has demonstrated what most with half a brain already knew.
    I have no problem with genuine agencies snooping through my online activity if it stops me getting blown up or the plane I'm in being used as a missile, probably because my online use is highly boring to most...... farming and present shopping for the wife. BUT I don't agree with the likes of google monitoring what i'm doing and then selling it to others!

Google are trying to take over the world. I use Outlook now for more privacy.

This a bit naff but it will show you how to correct your video aspect ratios using tags if they have become screwed after the YT update.

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    This a bit naff but it will show you how to correct your video aspect ratios using tags if they have become screwed after the YT update

[....]
    Cheers.

1/4 hour of farting about to correct something that was initially fine, thanks to an 'upgrade' by google. Still got no comments and no, I do not want a google+ account whatever that is.

There is something that we all have to understand about the "IT" World and that is that "improvements" are not always done because they are needed. Sometimes they are done because some smart-alec has the ability to change things and, more regrettably, because he/she thinks their way is better.

The old maxim of "if it aint broke then don't fix it" is denounced by these people as being Luddite in the extreme.

There is something that we all have to understand about the "IT" World and that is that "improvements" are not always done because they are needed. Sometimes they are done because some smart-alec has the ability to change things and, more regrettably, because he/she thinks their way is better.

The old maxim of "if it aint broke then don't fix it" is denounced by these people as being Luddite in the extreme.
    Ebay is an example of this, every time they change something, it is guaranteed to make it worse

....or most likely because the changes serve the software provider better, regardless of the effect on the user. More $$$ for google and more information for it's 'friends'.

[QUOTE=v12cat;208003]I see our friends at G$$gle have been trying to force everyone to join google plus and amend other assorted crap for several months.

I quite agree, I am not joining google+... but I don't think that my protest vote is going to stop the behemoth.....

[QUOTE=Dust Raker;208711]
    I see our friends at G$$gle have been trying to force everyone to join google plus and amend other assorted crap for several months.

I quite agree, I am not joining google+... but I don't think that my protest vote is going to stop the behemoth.....

....maybe not but you are not the only one by a long way and they know it. Huge as they are, things can change very fast in the cyber world.

Ooooh I can now read comments again but it still won't let me comment without accepting the google plus thing, which isn't going to happen.

Ooooh I can now read comments again but it still won't let me comment without accepting the google plus thing, which isn't going to happen.
    Your choice. If you don't like what they are doing, avoid them and their services.
    The Duck 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    Your choice. If you don't like what they are doing, avoid them and their services.
    The problem is Cowabunga, we don't really know what they are doing............

The problem is Cowabunga, we don't really know what they are doing............
    You are right on with that one. They are far more clever and devious than we are.

As an aside, I had Google Drive on this iMac and until yesterday it all worked fine. Woke the iMac up yesterday morning and there was a drop-down box asking for permission for Google Drive to access something or other. Clicked 'yes' and from then on my Magic Mouse has gone all funny and won't work at all. I've uninstalled GD but the mouse is still useless. I worked out that a standard USB mouse works fine, or the iMac would be rendered useless.
    WTF it did, I've no idea, but it caused me a couple of hours of my life and the lovely magic mouse still doesn't work. It is certainly an issue with Google Drive, because others have had similar problems apparently, but nobody seems to have an answer.

It makes me suspicious that Google know full well that there is an issue but don't want to do anything about it, especially since similar problems with GD and 'Finder' and the Magic Mouse have been reported since 2010
    The Duck 2015

I am of the opinion that even those of us who are reasonably savvy with IT do not realise how much we are being watched and our habbits studied.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    You are right on with that one. They are far more clever and devious than we are.

As an aside, I had Google Drive on this iMac and until yesterday it all worked fine. Woke the iMac up yesterday morning and there was a drop-down box asking for permission for Google Drive to access something or other. Clicked 'yes' and from then on my Magic Mouse has gone all funny and won't work at all. I've uninstalled GD but the mouse is still useless. I worked out that a standard USB mouse works fine, or the iMac would be rendered useless.
    WTF it did, I've no idea, but it caused me a couple of hours of my life and the lovely magic mouse still doesn't work. It is certainly an issue with Google Drive, because others have had similar problems apparently, but nobody seems to have an answer.

It makes me suspicious that Google know full well that there is an issue but don't want to do anything about it, especially since similar problems with GD and 'Finder' and the Magic Mouse have been reported since 2010
    This sort of thing makes you wonder exactly what their software is doing on your machine, and why.

One of many reasons I use open source software almost exclusively on my PC's. (alongside absolutely detesting windows!)

Typing 'Google Blackmail' into youtube brings up a funny CollegeHumour video on this very subject!!

I haven't posted it in case parts of it offend!

Typing 'Google Blackmail' into youtube brings up a funny CollegeHumour video on this very subject!!

I haven't posted it in case parts of it offend!
    this 1?

Quote Originally Posted by davidroberts30 View Post
    this 1?
    Yup!

http://www.privacysurgeon.org/blog/i...s-google-apps/

Those of us who don't trust Google are far from alone.
    Last edited by v12cat; 22-12-13 at 05:16 PM.

I am of the opinion that even those of us who are reasonably savvy with IT do not realise how much we are being watched and our habbits studied.
    Assume the worst and you're probably not far wrong.

What do you want them to not see? Every phone and laptop has its own address and can be tracked wherever it goes, that much has been known for years and years. Its only with the advances in storage and network access such things have been practically possible though.

99% of all the data ever created has been made within the last 2 years, such is the cheapness of storage now.

I use some very basic tools to stop common websites keeping much of an idea about my habits, but thats because they are annoying rather than anything else. If GCHQ wanted to track me as an individual there isnt a lot I could do about it.