Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: buying dairy cows in northern ireland/rep ireland

Re: buying dairy cows in northern ireland/rep ireland

Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    I've heard that some of the sellers from around Markethill have started to take their cows to Kilrea now, quite a run.

Theres always Moira, " average" heifers aren't any dearer than the other markets, just the top end. Some of the same dealers buy there as well so they can't be much different, next sale is on the 18th hopefully most of the buyers will have received their SFP by then.
    I'nm going to say it now, but a lot of Moira heifers are poor. Far, far to fine. The good heifers are very good, but the lower end wouldn't get a look in at sales like Kilrea.

Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    I'nm going to say it now, but a lot of Moira heifers are poor. Far, far to fine. The good heifers are very good, but the lower end wouldn't get a look in at sales like Kilrea.
    Narrow/ frail ones are hard to sell anywhere as they should be, not so many fine ones coming to Moira now, but I think you'll find that a heifer at the lower end of Moira trade will make at least as much in a commercial ring.

It's gettin very much like the ni dairy farmers forum!

don't suppose anyone knows of any may/June calving Holstein heifers that are for sale that don't fit in with calving pattern but would work in all year round? Took the jump and joined the dairy bandwagon!

Macus

Some of you guys mentioned highwaymen, a little lesson to any of you selling to fat cows or anything for that matter at home .I sold 6 fat cows at home a couple of years ago to a guy who at that time resided near Kilrea , the Ban road. The cheque bounced and I never got anything for them, I found out later he was known for that sort of thing, so be doubly careful.

Quote Originally Posted by rangerover View Post
    Some of you guys mentioned highwaymen, a little lesson to any of you selling to fat cows or anything for that matter at home .I sold 6 fat cows at home a couple of years ago to a guy who at that time resided near Kilrea , the Ban road. The cheque bounced and I never got anything for them, I found out later he was known for that sort of thing, so be doubly careful.
    was it "the silver ???"

The silver means nothing to me I'm afraid, his initials are SB, he has a cousin who is in the trade too although I'm told he is OK.

Quote Originally Posted by rangerover View Post
    The silver means nothing to me I'm afraid, his initials are SB, he has a cousin who is in the trade too although I'm told he is OK.
    yes the silver fox

I have other names for him but i won't repeat them here. I am very glad for the opportunity to spread the warning on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Rancher View Post
    A good straight man . He buys alot of dairy stock in our area.
    here is his website www.cows.ie

The three brothers were at Clogher yesterday, buying flat out, it really spoils the sale for genuine buyers. Some fantastic stuff on show there yesterday, but some poor ones too. I remember Dad buying at Kilrea a few years ago, it always got a good name for dairy stock, interesting that vendors from the Markethill area are travelling there to sell now.

Quote Originally Posted by Macus3 View Post
    It's gettin very much like the ni dairy farmers forum!

don't suppose anyone knows of any may/June calving Holstein heifers that are for sale that don't fit in with calving pattern but would work in all year round? Took the jump and joined the dairy bandwagon!

Macus
    It's a quiet revolution Macus, a take-over!! So you got going, what did you go with in the end? Any photos of your set-up, clean or dirty I ain't fussy!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ballygreenan View Post
    It's a quiet revolution Macus, a take-over!! So you got going, what did you go with in the end? Any photos of your set-up, clean or dirty I ain't fussy!!
    Deal done on 2 Lelys to be installed mid/ end April, currently where they are goin is a big hole in the ground!!!

Regarding Moira...was never disappointed with any stock that came out of there.Always bought the bottom of the pack but they always did grand with us...even though we feed in ring feeders and meal in the parlour.Hate paying the guineas.Buy a beast at 1400 and you pay 1470.Too much commision.You also need to watch some of the ped sellers.A fresh Calver is not always fresh.happened me on a couple of occasions...bought heifers"calved three weeks" when checked on aphis..calved three months.Said nothing.

Macus3 you aren't up our country are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    Regarding Moira...was never disappointed with any stock that came out of there.Always bought the bottom of the pack but they always did grand with us...even though we feed in ring feeders and meal in the parlour.Hate paying the guineas.Buy a beast at 1400 and you pay 1470.Too much commision.You also need to watch some of the ped sellers.A fresh Calver is not always fresh.happened me on a couple of occasions...bought heifers"calved three weeks" when checked on aphis..calved three months.Said nothing.
    when the the department used to do the movement permits in ballymena and when the animal was in your herd you could ask them for the progeny details,was interesting when you went back to the seller and asked him again "HOW LONG DID YOU SAY SHE WAS CALVED"

Deal done on 2 Lelys to be installed mid/ end April, currently where they are goin is a big hole in the ground!!!
    Good stuff, have you been in contact with Jeff yet Re the sumps?!!

Looking forward to seeing a new bot thread on the forum!!

The three brothers were at Clogher yesterday, buying flat out, it really spoils the sale for genuine buyers. Some fantastic stuff on show there yesterday, but some poor ones too. I remember Dad buying at Kilrea a few years ago, it always got a good name for dairy stock, interesting that vendors from the Markethill area are travelling there to sell now.
    Are these the same guys that are dressed as if they are going to a wedding or something?

If idiots wouldn't go and buy the cattle of them afterwards, then they wouldn't be as fond of buying them then. There are a lot of dairy farmers around who haven't a business head on them at all. They phone these clowns looking for a couple and just pay whatever they are looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie Hammond View Post
    Are these the same guys that are dressed as if they are going to a wedding or something?

If idiots wouldn't go and buy the cattle of them afterwards, then they wouldn't be as fond of buying them then. There are a lot of dairy farmers around who haven't a business head on them at all. They phone these clowns looking for a couple and just pay whatever they are looking.

Possibly could be, I couldn't possibly say! Now where did I put my brown Kiwi polish for my dealer boots?...........

Quote Originally Posted by causeway cowboy View Post
    Macus3 you aren't up our country are you?
    Up in the land of milk and honey!!

Does anyone know what price 11-14m old fresian sired heifers would be, well grown and healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by bigw View Post
    Does anyone know what price 11-14m old fresian sired heifers would be, well grown and healthy.
    Anywhere from 500 - 900 depending on age, breeding and condition on the day.

Possibly could be, I couldn't possibly say! Now where did I put my brown Kiwi polish for my dealer boots?...........

I think I recognise the description.

No flys on them men alright!!!

It's starting to become risky business buying at weekly diary sales. IMO, you could come home with anything. I tend to just go to the dispersal sales, at least that way you know the man isn't just selling his unwanted ones.

Quote Originally Posted by tex View Post
    I think I recognise the description.

No flys on them men alright!!!

It's starting to become risky business buying at weekly diary sales. IMO, you could come home with anything. I tend to just go to the dispersal sales, at least that way you know the man isn't just selling his unwanted ones.
    you need to concentrate on 1 or 2 markets and get to know the sellers. it you tell a porkie when selling their back home in a week

Don't say that they all want to live up here! You ramage contracts in with you?

north antrim

Quote Originally Posted by zsnotdead View Post
    you need to concentrate on 1 or 2 markets and get to know the sellers. it you tell a porkie when selling their back home in a week
    Absolutely, regular sellers should be reliable in their descriptions, nothing worse than having to take something back.

anyone know of David Macauley from about the co down the sells semem and dairy stock?

Well "red" did you buy owt?
    Any verdict on the title?

yep,bought some 2nd and 3rd calvers from one man b4 christmas and some hfs to 4th calvers from a different man at new year,they took a while to get the bloods done because of the hols and the sheer volume of stock that was being exported,certainly a lot cheaper than buying them here,could turn money at them no bother