Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tax disc changes

Re: Tax disc changes

Perhaps it would be a good idea that the database should be open to all and anyone could check to see if dodgy types are paying their share.Insurance aswell.

Will stop the Police fining people for not displaying a or incorrect tax disc.

that's good means my tractor won't get wheel clamped again for not having the bit of paper in the window even though the computer says it was taxed!!!

Quote Originally Posted by farmernocows View Post
    Perhaps it would be a good idea that the database should be open to all and anyone could check to see if dodgy types are paying their share.
    It is. A dvla 'vehicle check' says if license is due, and 'date of liability' (day after tax runs out).

i,ve never taxed a tractor in 30 years of farming.one was taxed when i bought it new,the other tractors are all in previous owners names,so far so good,long run the fox and long live z

Of course this will mean more anpr cameras, and surveillance by big brother.
    Remember there is no such thing as a free lunch, and somebody has to pay for politicians' largesse; they have no money of their own!
    Silos, tanks, - and much more! www.mickmoor.co.uk

My 1962 Davy Brown 880 still displays the 1962 tax disc ( a testament to the quality of the disc holder ).
    Presumably it has never been used on the main road since 1962

Quote Originally Posted by MickMoor View Post
    Of course this will mean more anpr cameras, and surveillance by big brother.
    Remember there is no such thing as a free lunch, and somebody has to pay for politicians' largesse; they have no money of their own!
    There is no need for cameras. As soon as your vehicle becomes untaxed, the authorities and police will know, probably before you do. Every morning the central database runs a check, and a computer automatically sends out renewal forms or fines by post. Don't know why they didn't do away with the tax disc years ago. Haven't renewed mine in a post office as long as I can remember. Total pain in the ass now made easy using the web.

I'd sign up for retinal scan ID cards tomorrow if It meant I never needed to carry a photo ID or passport again.

Only people who need fear the authorities are those who are up to no good. It doesn't bother me at all. Life is too short to worry about this kind of carp.

i know it's off topic a bit but ID cards if done right could work, 1 little card in your wallet with all your details on, blood type, donner card details, driving details,passport, even shotgun/firearms certificate could all just be added or taken off the chip on the card when tests past or given up/lost

IMO the tax disc should be kept the same, as it's an easy way to tell if vehicle has mot and insurance as you can't get disc without the other 2

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    Only people who need fear the authorities are those who are up to no good. It doesn't bother me at all. Life is too short to worry about this kind of carp.
    That's what the Red Guards in China used to say.

And I once had fish soup made from carp. The way it tasted, it could actually have been made from crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder View Post
    IMO the tax disc should be kept the same, as it's an easy way to tell if vehicle has mot and insurance as you can't get disc without the other 2
    The only flaw to this is you can tax a vehicle for 12 months that has only 1 day of mot/insurance left.

DVLA will need to change their system because at present you cannot tax a tractor as historic vehicle, I don't think the online system understand the fact that there is no MOT, I have to tax my old tractors at the post office counter.

I do mine online, no tractors have MOTs?
    Are these somehow not on the database?

Yes I know tractors are MOT exempt, I think it must be because they are all over 25 years old and classed as historic vehicles that I have the MOT issue.

Quote Originally Posted by crofter 65 View Post
    Yes I know tractors are MOT exempt, I think it must be because they are all over 25 years old and classed as historic vehicles that I have the MOT issue.
    I would thinks its more to do with the historic status rather than the normal agric tractor, as I tax a 35yr old ford 4000 online every year no problem. A historic vehicle could need an MOT so that's why you struggle online I would have thought.

#
    Not sure now but IIRC when i've applied for tractor licences online i've allways ticked the box that they have an MOT even though they're exempt, think it's the only way to get through the online process. It's one of the first pages with 5 tickbox questions.

i know it's off topic a bit but ID cards if done right could work, 1 little card in your wallet with all your details on, blood type, donner card details, driving details,passport, even shotgun/firearms certificate could all just be added or taken off the chip on the card when tests past or given up/lost
    Trouble is, working in an ag enviroment what doesn't get covered in sh!t gets lost so i never carry wallet, cash or anything like that when working. Perhaps they should go the whole hogg and implement fingerprint ID, I've never lost one of them yet...........as for the covered in sh!t, that's another story.

I wonder if I could change the taxation from historic to agricultural? I thought all vehicles over 25 years old was automatically historic.

I wonder if I could change the taxation from historic to agricultural? I thought all vehicles over 25 years old was automatically historic.
    I also can't tax my historic vehicles online but the younger ag vehicles are ok. Have to find the insurance document (they're all on one) and go down the post office, they look kind of odd at you taxing six tractors at a time!!!!
    Ond lle bu'r arad' ar y ffridd Yn rhywgo'r gwanwyn pr o'r pridd

Quote Originally Posted by Drillman View Post
    The only flaw to this is you can tax a vehicle for 12 months that has only 1 day of mot/insurance left.
    not at my post office you can't tried getting tax last year as i was on day off, mot had 3weeks left to run, post office said they wouldn't give me it as mot was due to run out even tho it was allready booked into garage only a few houndred yards from the post office

I've got a MF35 taxed as Historic but which could be taxed as Agri. but makes no difference. Problem with on-line disc applications is usually because more than one vehicle is on the insurance cover and only the first on the list has been put into the computer. Some years I can tax them all online, other times only the first on the insurance cert.

I ve never heard of historic as a tax class for a tractor but it s dofo not automatic over 25 years old I tax 4 tractors over that age every year all ag machines online not a problem just tick all the boxes on the first page, whats the advantage of taxing as historic is it any vehicle over 25? I have a pickup fast approaching that age

Quote Originally Posted by windylamb View Post
    I've got a MF35 taxed as Historic but which could be taxed as Agri.
    AFAIK you can't change it, but if it's been taxed since late 70's as 'Agric', then it prob still is.

Quote Originally Posted by sparks View Post
    I ve never heard of historic as a tax class for a tractor but it s dofo not automatic over 25 years old I tax 4 tractors over that age every year all ag machines online not a problem just tick all the boxes on the first page, whats the advantage of taxing as historic is it any vehicle over 25? I have a pickup fast approaching that age
    IIRC it still runs from the 1974? cutoff that they class as historic as when it was introduced agri tax was still around 35. We still have one or two tractors on limited use from those days as the tax for that class was free!!! All they did then and still now is cross the road or run ip the road half a mile to field!!! Don't think they've seen a main road in 20 years bit we still like to tax them.
    Ond lle bu'r arad' ar y ffridd Yn rhywgo'r gwanwyn pr o'r pridd

We should be electronically tagged with all the information they could ever need in the tag. Then the masters could just read us with a wand.

I am not having these damn tags in my ears!!

I am not having these damn tags in my ears!!

Don't worry, they soon drop out.

Just renewed by tax on the Historic vehicle MF35, on line, no problems this time. Perhaps they have just got the system right. Now all they have to do is change everything again.