Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tax disc changes

Senior Member Pheasant Surprise's Avatar

Re: Tax disc changes

Quote Originally Posted by Drillman View Post
    The only flaw to this is you can tax a vehicle for 12 months that has only 1 day of mot/insurance left.
    Not true. If you try to renew online the system will pull you up, even if you've tick the boxes that say that you have valid insurance and MOT etc. It won't let you tax the vehicle.

Latest
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-tax-changes

The implications of this are significant.
    You would think that simply driving it home ought to be allowed (but would be open to abuse!)
    When selling a vehicle to a new vehicle keeper, the vehicle tax will no longer be transferable. Vehicle tax will end when a vehicle is sold and the new keeper will need to get the vehicle taxed immediately before the vehicle can be used.
    It makes you think they haven't thought this through - or are being deliberately obtuse.
    No-one is any the wiser about change of ownership until documents are sent to change.

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    Latest
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-tax-changes

The implications of this are significant.
    You would think that simply driving it home ought to be allowed (but would be open to abuse!)

It makes you think they haven't thought this through - or are being deliberately obtuse.
    No-one is any the wiser about change of ownership until documents are sent to change.
    Also if you can't transfer the remaing tax can you be refunded the remainder or is it a new stealth tax ?

From the link:
    If you have been paying your tax annually or every 6 months, you will get a refund for any full calendar months left on the tax period when you tell DVLAyou no longer require tax

But I agree, they don't seem to have the logistics worked out...

Quote Originally Posted by Pheasant Surprise View Post
    Not true. If you try to renew online the system will pull you up, even if you've tick the boxes that say that you have valid insurance and MOT etc. It won't let you tax the vehicle.
    You need insurance and MOT to cover the first day of taxation
    no more, no less
    have done it both on line, last week, and in local PO
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    no more, no less
    This is being done to help the police deal with dodgies: just bought it today officer....

Quote Originally Posted by zsnotdead View Post
    i,ve never taxed a tractor in 30 years of farming.one was taxed when i bought it new,the other tractors are all in previous owners names,so far so good,long run the fox and long live z
    Are you taking the p1$$? What happens when you do get pulled up (perhaps on year 31?). You may find that as you are not licenced you might not be entitled to run on rebated fuel? Ag rate is zero anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by zsnotdead View Post
    i,ve never taxed a tractor in 30 years of farming.one was taxed when i bought it new,the other tractors are all in previous owners names,so far so good,long run the fox and long live z
    What on earth is there to gain from that, only for you to show that your a clever arse. What happens when one of your tractors kills someone? Plod come along "have you got insurance"? Oh no you haven't, so not insured, come and try on these bracelets for me dear sir. You will be asking someone to smuggle in a knife in a cake to wormwood scrubs and society will label the rest of us as dodgy road tax evaders who would kill someone on a whim when the legal way cost's nothing. Just register them and tax them, it cost's nothing you cock!!

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    no more, no less
    With the new option of being able to use DD to pay monthly, will that allow the system to check that insurance is still in place to prevent those that insure for one day then cancel from driving with a taxed but uninsured car?

Not taxed in 30 years and still in the original owners names?? Oh, you reckon. WHAT'S THE POINT OF THAT?
    I got a letter from DVLA/insurance enforcement bureau saying that the insurance on my 6610 had expired and I'd get a fixed penalty fine if I didn't insure it or declare off road. I just gave them the name and address of the bloke who bought it from me (with copy of bill of sale).

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    With the new option of being able to use DD to pay monthly, will that allow the system to check that insurance is still in place to prevent those that insure for one day then cancel from driving with a taxed but uninsured car?
    When you cancel a policy or it expires the insurers now notify the DVLA. All vehicles are now on a central database, if you try keeping a vehicle without tax or mot or insurance as applicable and don't declare it sorn it's simply a matter of getting a list, finding you and prosecuting you, probably fine you and or seizing and crushing the vehicle for good measure.

Yes Uwork4menow, I'd changed my policy from the tractor I'd just sold to the one I'd just bought - only the chap who'd bought mine didn't register it and hence me getting the snotty letter from DVLA about no insurance. It's all in the computer system these days so the days of getting an insurance certificate then cancelling the policy are long gone.

The tax disc is being withdrawn as another incremental step in the implementation of GPS 'toll payments'.

Maybe I'm just being daft, but its as clear as day, that within 15 years, all new cars will be fitted with GPS and a data link. The DVLA will know that your car is rated at 249 g/km and this month you drove 812 miles at a fuel efficient speed ("Band Rate X"), and 83 miles at inefficient speeds ("Band Rate Z"), "and your road tax / road toll for this month is 135, please hit enter to submit your automatic payment..."

It might be Orwellian, but it IS our future. How could it not be?