Thread: Mobile Cattle Crushes (20ft long with wheels)

Mobile Cattle Crushes (20ft long with wheels)

I'm trying to choose the one for me. Ritchie, GSF, Bateman, Premier all do them. Any experiences to share?

Thought I was drawn to the Ritchie first, cos it was all sheeted, so the cattle can't see you, yet has 4 quarter panels that open on each side for jags, or caesars. But the floor is like a trough, not flat edged, so if a calving cow goes down, trouble. It was pointed out that if its sheeted, then you can't shoo them on, or even see where they are, to shut the sliding doors.

To squeeze, or not to squeeze, that is another question. Foot trimming on a squeeze crush? Is this possible with the sides moving?

It will be used to pd milking cows, trim odd feet (in between the bi annual foot trimmer), drench calves through to bulling heifers, and vaccinations. Looking to get the works: weighing, head scoop, foot trimming, with the hurdles for pens too.

GSF seems good. No floor in back third, to make it easier to get them in. This also means the weighing is in the front crush. But not very hot on the foot trimming.

Re: Mobile Cattle Crushes (20ft long with wheels)

We have a Ritchie one for dairy cows. Don't have the extra's though. Cows go in it well with the sheeted sides they just see the exit at the front.

We mainly use it for vaccinations and blood testing. Good quality and well made.

Got the Portequip mobile squeeze crush here and very pleased with it.
    Go the quarter panels like Ritchie but unsheeted.
    Will be a lot cheaper than a Ritchie, Bateman or Premier but mine does everything I want it to from young calves up to cows(sucklers)
    From your neck of the woods too so should be a few about to go have a look at.

Worth considering a Morris too. They will build to whatever spec you like, with as many bells & whistles as you fancy.

http://morrislivestockequipment.co.uk/2.html

morris are good, also have you seen the "cattle crowder" from MEP engineering? they are new on the block and may be worth a try.

Another vote for Morris. Having seen most makes at Beef Expo theirs would be the one I'd go for if in the market for one or replacing the static one.

Scotland, land of the free home of the brave

I have a Port-equip galv with self locking headstock (Premier I think) Good tool but if I were to buy another wouldn't have a self locking headstock because if dealing with cattle of mixed size small ones can get through or become stuck also older cattle/cows learn that if they hit the h/stock they're trapped and are hence reluctant to move forward. I would also have a sliding door at entrance rather than locking gate but other than that works fine. Galv is the best don't waste money buying a painted crush.

I back mine up to permanent cattle pens as it helps to have the stock gates fixed. Just pull a few pins and can move to wherever cattle are.

I was steering clear of port-equip after having worked with some of their feed trailors 10 or 15 years ago. They rotted away in no time, and when we took them to a welder to sort them up he just laughed, and pointed out that there was nothing to weld to. It got its origional strength from feed barrier welded to tin, then tin to the chassis. So when the barrier frame and tin rotted, there was nothing to weld to. It was light steel, and not much of it.

Is you mobile crush lasting ok with it being galvanised?

Quote Originally Posted by Grazer View Post
    I was steering clear of port-equip after having worked with some of their feed trailors 10 or 15 years ago. They rotted away in no time, and when we took them to a welder to sort them up he just laughed, and pointed out that there was nothing to weld to. It got its origional strength from feed barrier welded to tin, then tin to the chassis. So when the barrier frame and tin rotted, there was nothing to weld to. It was light steel, and not much of it.

Is you mobile crush lasting ok with it being galvanised?
    I 'll need to check that it is a Portequip. Age leads to confusion. It is a Premier h/stock..
    Had it for 8 years sits outside no sign of rust. Used to religiously powerwash it after every use quite a stupid thing to do as cattle baulked at new/clean crush now just sweep out worst of muck.

It's an IAE was quite expensive at the time circa 10K?

do you do alot of ruuning round we whent threw this 5 years ago ended up with ritcie but not on wheel have 20 hurdles just list the crush and hurdles around with loader all fits on a 12ft trailer we get all over at moment tb testing with vets ect what put us of trailed ones was when working in sheds seem to always be wrong but the crush been fine showing signs of abuse now head lock and scoop very good

Never had any problems with the floor being like a footbath, with raised sides, rather than flat? Do you calf cows in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Grazer View Post
    Never had any problems with the floor being like a footbath, with raised sides, rather than flat? Do you calf cows in it?
    The one I've got is a flat floor so v easy to muck out. All panels hinge with a middle bar so easy to put a calf on or a caeser for that matter. Two vet access gates and sliding door so can hold a beast in crush and one behind. Never and would never calve a beast in a crush. Made the mistake many years ago and just about lost cow and calf as she went down, had to tip the crush over with loader and pull her out with rope. Got a cow catcher for that job. Gates and sides can all be moved out of way if such things happen. Leaves plenty of room to work on cow.
    Move it about quite a bit v handy for dosing etc batches simply set up in shed and work in situ. Takes about 10 minutes to get set up or packed up to move on.