Thread: STORING CRIMPED BARLEY

Scotland, land of the free home of the brave

STORING CRIMPED BARLEY

Planning to grow feed barley next year and crimp it in an effort to avoid contributing too much to feed merchants pension funds. Can anyone give me some tips on how best to store it. I had thought of making a clamp with big bales of straw, rolling and sheeting. Bit of a crimping virgin so be gentle with me.

Re: STORING CRIMPED BARLEY

Be very interested in the responses to this too... I'm tempted to have a go at crimping next year too but don't really have clamping facilities for it!

a clamp with solid sides would be better from a vermin proof point of view. some sort of additive/acid advisable.

if clamping a problem ag bagging could be a solution

if you can dry store then why not roll on farm as reqd during winter?

as said,get some square bales to make the walls
    try and make the pit long and narrow and not too high
    i don't think you'll be able to roll it with a tractor,its like driving on rice pudding
    round here i've seen good success rolling with a biggish quad
    use a crimp store addative
    at least double side sheets and top sheets and as much weight as you can on top

Vermin!!!

Personally I would look at buying in loads of feed barley or combining it dry then caustic treating it as and when.

Treat crimping in the same way you would silage. I roll mine with a tractor or tele-handler, as I put it through the crusher. I have never used an additive, just put the hosepipe in the outlet of the machine and get it up to at least 30% . The grain doesn't want to be over crushed as it will breakdown a little in the clamp , double sheet and put loads of tyres on. As already said long thin pit is best otherwise the grain can start to heat, but it will heat even if you use an additive. I have never tried it myself but some people say that they put cattle straight onto ad-lib crimp without any poisoning.

Quote Originally Posted by LALANS View Post
    Planning to grow feed barley next year and crimp it in an effort to avoid contributing too much to feed merchants pension funds. Can anyone give me some tips on how best to store it. I had thought of making a clamp with big bales of straw, rolling and sheeting. Bit of a crimping virgin so be gentle with me.
    We did that this time, we managed to combine some at sub 16 %, stored this in heap corner of shed and straw bales with a couple of hotspot extractor fans in it ( about 60 ton ) which we turn on, nice dry days, the other 50 ton or so was 20% + , we crimped this and treated it with ammonium proponate and stored that in heap in shed, both seem ok so far. used half the treated stuff and intend to crimp the other as needed without the proponate. there is a table for the application rate for the moisture % . You can treat it with liquid urea which preserves and also raises the protien % but the end product smells like poultry litter, guys round here feed it through mixer wagons ,but not been tempted to try it yet

Many people tell horrific tales about moist grain towers. The fault lies usually because the user tried to store wet, not moist, and has never had it tested and repaired. After about 10 years performance fell off. With modern mastic, I can supply a re-conditioned one that will work, and there is NO on-going cost. You just take out what you need every day, roll it and feed it. Furthermore, it is very palatable. I sell them because I believe it is a good way to store barley to feed to your own stock, if used properly.
    Silos, tanks, - and much more! www.mickmoor.co.uk

Scotland, land of the free home of the brave

Crimping would allow me to get crop off ~3 weeks earlier so then have better chance to do a direct reseed. Also I'm told feed value higher. A bit worried about vermin but that's going to be the case with dried as well?
    What about combine settings? and will contractor be happy cutting so wet?
    Any ideas on cost of crimping plus additive?

Crimping would allow me to get crop off ~3 weeks earlier so then have better chance to do a direct reseed. Also I'm told feed value higher. A bit worried about vermin but that's going to be the case with dried as well?
    Additive waste of money, as for the combine the beauty of crimp is that you don't need to be fussy about a clean sample as you are clamping it so any chaff etc will just go through the crimper and into the beast at feed out time.I have cut plenty of wet crimp stage barley and wet ripe barley and it threshes no problem , the only limiting factor is getting it out of the combine tank.

open the sieves wide,it doesnt matter for a bit of chaff in the sample
    dont fill the combine tank right up and DON'T leave any in the tank overnight!!
    i have before now just cut the heads off then mowed the field after for the straw,that was real easy to combine

Quote Originally Posted by MickMoor View Post
    Many people tell horrific tales about moist grain towers. The fault lies usually because the user tried to store wet, not moist, and has never had it tested and repaired. After about 10 years performance fell off. With modern mastic, I can supply a re-conditioned one that will work, and there is NO on-going cost. You just take out what you need every day, roll it and feed it. Furthermore, it is very palatable. I sell them because I believe it is a good way to store barley to feed to your own stock, if used properly.
    had our silo re sealed my mick this year, what a difference!!! roll every day, just press the button and auger into mill and in to a keenan, and the rats cant touch it !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uwork4menow View Post
    Vermin!!!

Personally I would look at buying in loads of feed barley or combining it dry then caustic treating it as and when.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermin yes vermin mayo,

read link if your unsure

I'm really surprised by you guys not using crimp store. We spend thousands a year on the stuff. So how much waste do you get. I ant get the balls to do it without. How well does it keep once the pit is open. We store ours in a big pit with maize on top. Stays cool all winter.

Quote Originally Posted by beacons boy View Post
    I'm really surprised by you guys not using crimp store. We spend thousands a year on the stuff. So how much waste do you get. I ant get the balls to do it without. How well does it keep once the pit is open. We store ours in a big pit with maize on top. Stays cool all winter.
    out of interest how wide is the pit face?

we did 250 tonnes of crimped wheat this year which was treated with home and dry to produce alka-grain. Allowed me to get grain off 3 weeks early to follow with direct drilled stubble turnips. Combined between 18 and 20%. Mixed in TMR - no ammonia smell by the time it gets to the cows. Dairy manager feeding 2kg/hd/day and very pleased with it.
    No rolling, just put in a pile and sheet over for 5 weeks.

Its roughly 35feet and 5feet deep

Combining is no probs , open it out and let the chaff go through as well , you can almost cut in the rain , straw will need a few days to dry but is better for feeding

as said put needs to be long and narrow , I did it for a good few years and never had vermin attack but I lined the pit first with fruit waste or brewers grains also put 2 ft of mash filter grains on top to seek it off and plenty of hydrated lime around the sheet to deter rats ,

once youve crimped you'll never look at dry grain again it just so much better all round