Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a few old zetors .

Talking a few old zetors .

hi all , ive only been on here a while and ive just spent about two days going through all the excellent topics and pictures that are on here , well done to all involved , just thought id share a few pictures of our hobby , we used to do a lot of contracting years a go and our steeds of choice were internationals and zetor's , now i know some of ye dont rate the zetor ( especially for contract work ) but if they are treated right and have one operated they perform well , i used to buck rake silage for years with a 7045 and she didnt give me any trouble ,

anyway long story short time has moved on and both myself and the brother and my now retired father decided to get a tractor for restoration , i knew the whearabouts of an old zetor 2511 that had had a very hard life and might be bought cheap !!!

i dont think we could have imagined the task that lay ahead of us because we had to cut it out of the briars before we could even see the state of it , unfortunatly a young farmhand had missed the clutch pedal one day whilst scrapping the yard and she went into the slurry pit backwards and broke in three !!!

she was removed with a jcb and left to die in the briars , here are a few pictures of it as we found it ,

then the hard work began , she was totally seized in every way possible so plenty of cursing , sweat , wd40 and a big hammer lol ,

more pics ,

more to follow soon .

Re: a few old zetors .

i see you like a challenge

Talking Re: a few old zetors .

took a bit of time but we got there , hardest part was sourcing some of the finishing parts ie panels and chrome and lights , even though these tractors were very popular in Ireland back in the day the export and scrap lads have nearly cleaned them all out !

l][/URL]

as you can see we had to make a lot of the side panels from old stuff because we just couldnt get it new , there are new panels available but they have a larger cooling hole in the side for ventilation so we had to botch one of these and make it smaller , good job the brother is handy with the welder lol .

here is how she finally turned out

Tidy job, must of Been some hours gone into that

Little peach!

thanks lads , she came out well , sorry i put up the wrong pics earlier but ive remedied it now .

anyway the restoration bug has well and trully bitten now so we had to source the " whole set " that would be 2511 , 3511 , 4511 , 5511 and the four wheel drive versions 3545 and 5545 .

many late night's on the computer and even more miles traveled throughout Ireland and England and this is what we could gather up .

troughsand3511007.jpg.html][/URL]

yep you guessed it , another briar bound wreck , its a 3511 or whats left of it , sorry to see them in this state really .

ha ha thankfully there is a a happy ending to all this , here is how they have turned out so far ,

[URL=http://s934.photobucket.com/user/terry29rb103/media/25113511zetors006.jpg.html][/URL

and our last tractor which we finished just today ,

Ah the old 3545. First 4x4 tractor on the farm and bought new when they first came into the country. God that little tractor did some work. If only the bearings and seals had been better it would have lasted much longer. No idea where it ended up. A neighbour was still running one in reasonable nick until he passed away about 12 years ago. That example would still be worth doing up.

Good grief, you do like a challenge eh?

yeah " a challenge " is right , ah sure it passes the time , here is our next couple of projects that are waiting in the wings ,

its a 5611 that has been abondend under a tree for over twenty years , when we got it the back and a nd the engine had siezed solid but when we got it home we discovered that the handbrake bands had siezed onto the brake hubs so we jsut cut them off and got her free , we then pulled out the four injectors and sprayed in a drop of wd40 into each cylinder and gave her a gentle tow and whey hey away she went , stuck the injectors back into her and fresh drop of diesel and she runs like a small watch , the cab is red rotten and will need extensive work or replacing we haven't decided yet .

after that is this baby ,

Very nice. I may have a cab door to fit that 5611 if it is any good to you. No idea if it is any good but I have threatened to send it for scrap many times. Will drag it out and photo if you like?

hi mog , thanks for that mate , we are on the look out for any bits that may be lying about before the scrap men get them , we might have a full cab sourced but it doesnt have doors or glass !!!

Great work there Dragon, they look good. I have a 3045, 1968, and very original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7nOAmbHlco

I'm slowly getting parts gathered up, although still undecided as to keep original or restore. I see you have got new side lights, and would liked to get a pair, so if poss. can you point me in the right direction , Thanks, Ulsterscot.

A few years back when on holiday in iceland, I noticed lots of what looked like dead zetors abandoned where they stopped, just thought lots of spares going to rust.

hi ulsterscot , we got the side lights from this crowd

http://www.barlowsag.co.uk/About+Us/Contact+Us

cant remember exactly how much as we bought a good bit at the one time from him , its nearly impossible to get the original back lights new ,

i have tracked down a chap in Finland that has some but he wants top dollar for them .

he is good for other parts though ,

http://www.motocheck.fi/en/produkter-2/ur1/

hope this helps lad .

Greendragon3,i don't know to pity you or admire you

Thanks Dragon an Email is on its way to them. Ulsterscot

Just checked that door. It is an OS one, complete with glass and latch and only surface rust. However, I am pretty sure it is not the right one for that cab. Maybe it fits an earlier cab or perhaps a Crystal (though we never had a Crystal!). Will get photo (camera batteries were dead!) in case it is of use in another project.

Unhappy Re: a few old zetors .

well we were doing a bit of shopping today and we gathered up a few ( rough ) bits for the back of the tractors , these are going to be only for show and are only meant to display the tractor in a working environment and plus its only a bit of crack saving these ould wrecks from the hot spanner , we found a lad in roscommon that was after inheriting the father in laws place and he was having a clear out , the ould boy must have been a major hoarder or something because he had all sorts of stuff , when we got there he had about three 8 wheeler lorry loads of scrap piled high waiting for Hammond lane to come and collect , we scavenged through it and got a heap of ould zetor bits which yer man thought were no use ( one mans rubbish and all that ) and didnt i spot a rotary mower lying sideways up on the heap , on closer inspection it turned out to be a ZTR ( ZETOR ) 165 mower , its a 1986 model and rather worse for wear but we only paid 70 for it so cant complain , turns out all it needs really is a new drum and apron and a set of belts , the rest of it is fairly tight , the two piece slip clutch pto shaft was even thrown beside it , sure that's worth 150 if you had to but it , then the hungry eye on me spotted an old teagle or vicon ( im not too sure yet ) fertiliser sower and we bought that too for 20 , it needs a new hopper but sure like i said its only for decoration , few pics ,

Very well done ....think you could save a lot of time/money by coming to NZ & getting some examples still working & not looking too so worse for ware

Hi Greendragon,
    Thank you for posting your wonderful story and pictures. What you have achieved with these "far gone" Zetors is fantastic. It is simply great to see someone in Ireland restore something that is not a grey or red/grey ferguson.

I had an 8045 crystal for years and years, and I practically gave her away after she started dropping the coolant into the sump. I would have loved to have given her to someone like yourself and seen her put right.

As you say in your post, Zetors were perhaps held up to ridicule and the truth is they were much better than people are prepared to give them credit for. I would like to relate to you a funny tale about my old 8045. Many years ago a local builder rolled his JCB3c on her side when she slipped off a riverbank on a property adjoining mine. He managed to dismount safely and off he set to another neighbour who always kept the biggest best four wheel drive tractor in our neighbourhood. The neighbour arrived in his gleaming new Case DB1690 turbo, hooked her up and spent the next three hours tearing up the paddock, but the JCB stayed firmly lodged on her side in the river. That night I phoned the JCB,s owner and asked him if he minded if I had a go with the Crystal 8045, and he said, great, go ahead. Next morning, I went down and the Zetor dragged the JCB to her feet and back to the top of the riverbank in one fell swoop. When the owner of the new 1690 turbo arrived and saw what had happened, his face was a picture I'll never forget.

My brother in law has an old Zetor (not sure of the actual model) stored in his barn. He never uses it. I had though of making him an offer if I though the tractor would be reliable enough. I would like to have it for light work, powerwashing and the like. If I find out the actual model, perhaps you would be kind enough to give me an idea of its current value.

Ruddy hell What perfection !!!

Well done . I should imagine its rather like saving fallen women

Quote Originally Posted by robbie956xl View Post
    Hi Greendragon,
    Thank you for posting your wonderful story and pictures. What you have achieved with these "far gone" Zetors is fantastic. It is simply great to see someone in Ireland restore something that is not a grey or red/grey ferguson.

I had an 8045 crystal for years and years, and I practically gave her away after she started dropping the coolant into the sump. I would have loved to have given her to someone like yourself and seen her put right.

As you say in your post, Zetors were perhaps held up to ridicule and the truth is they were much better than people are prepared to give them credit for. I would like to relate to you a funny tale about my old 8045. Many years ago a local builder rolled his JCB3c on her side when she slipped off a riverbank on a property adjoining mine. He managed to dismount safely and off he set to another neighbour who always kept the biggest best four wheel drive tractor in our neighbourhood. The neighbour arrived in his gleaming new Case DB1690 turbo, hooked her up and spent the next three hours tearing up the paddock, but the JCB stayed firmly lodged on her side in the river. That night I phoned the JCB,s owner and asked him if he minded if I had a go with the Crystal 8045, and he said, great, go ahead. Next morning, I went down and the Zetor dragged the JCB to her feet and back to the top of the riverbank in one fell swoop. When the owner of the new 1690 turbo arrived and saw what had happened, his face was a picture I'll never forget.

My brother in law has an old Zetor (not sure of the actual model) stored in his barn. He never uses it. I had though of making him an offer if I though the tractor would be reliable enough. I would like to have it for light work, powerwashing and the like. If I find out the actual model, perhaps you would be kind enough to give me an idea of its current value.
    hi robbie , thanks for the kind comments , thats a great story and reminds me of a story i heard a few years ago when we used to cut contract silage on the country , a chap from the next county had invested huge money into a sliage outfit and bought a very fresh ford 7700 two wheel drive tractor to run the harvester , one day whilst cutting some particular heavy crop the engine went wallop without warning , something to do with going pourous and craking the liners i dont really know ( a common ford trait im led to believe ) anyway off she went to be repaired and being the busy season he asked the garage that were undertaking the rebuild if they would have a high horsepower tractor to take the place of the ford for the few days down time , the boss sent the young fella around the back to get the " loner " ,( it had to be removed from the briars first ) , the contractors face fell when he emerged around the corner in a very worse for wear battered 14145 zetor crystal , " that's all i have take it or leave it exclaimed the garage man " no doubt with a wry smile on his face , well the contractor cursed under his breath but had no choice but take the worn out beast , when he got her home and hooked it up to the harvester he decided that this was going to be her last foray and he would be sending it back to the garage well cooked to wipe the smile off the garage man , BUT when he sent her into the swath there wasn't a drop in rpm's , a change in engine note or any black smoke like he was used to with the ford , he couldn't believe it , he tried his best to " kill it " for three weeks but to no avail , ha actually lifted more grass than he ever thought possible with the shiny ford it changed his whole perception of zetors from that day on and he would have nothing else around the place since .

well we have been shopping again ! , i put an ad on done deal looking for a three legged roll bar for a 3511 and a chap rang me and said he had a 3011 with the same roll bar but the rest of the tractor was not great ( scrap only ) was his words , anyway we bought it and got it home last Saturday , its had a hard life and must have been left standing out for years and years as every bit of it is seized solid and full to the neck with water , we had a terrible job trying to load the bugger on to the trailer too , the back end was seized and the rear wheels wouldn't turn so every time we tried to push it up to the trailer it would go in a different direction , anyway after a lot of cursing and head scratching we go it loaded and home , the next job was to try to get her into the shed to find out exactly how bad it was , we jacked up the back of the tractor and put two old sheets of tin under the back wheels and slid her into the garage , worked like a charm , we then stripped the two rear hubs to get at the internal ( and troublesome ) brakes only to find that they were nearly new but also seized in the on position hence the wheels refusing to turn , more cursing and ample doses of wd40 and a rather large hammer we managed to free them enough to get the wheels mobile again , i then decided to drain some of the oil from the tractor but when i opened the gearbox bung all that came out was about 10 gallons of crystal clear spring water followed by a very small amount of what only can be described as cat poo , i then pulled the dipstick out of the engine only to be drowned by watery oil that just sprayed out of the dipstick , opened the bung and again at least 10 gallon of water and oil mixed poured out , any wonder she was seized !, anyway we pulled the three injectors out of her and blew the water out of the heads and filled them with wd40 and left her over night . next day we started rocking her in gear whilst jarring the ring gear with a bar and turning the front crankshaft pulley with a spanner and after about half an hour she let go with a crack , we got her behind the Massey then and ran her up and down the road in top gear to re polish the liners and get some lubrication up around the engine again , we have had to chuck away the starter and dynamo as they are past repair and the diesel pump is also shot with even a frost plug out of it , the engine block remarkably seems intact though with no cracks visible yet !!!! we wont know really till we get her running ,

we are having a bit of a problem at the minute trying to get diesel up to the injectors , we fitted a replacement pump that we had and towed the life out of her with the injectors back in and fresh diesel but no luck , she has good compression so there must be a blockage somewhere that's not allowing the diesel up to the injectors , very frustrating but we are not beat yet , her are a few pictures of the offending vehicle .

hi again , we started work on our 5611 cab yesterday , it was a bit of a rot box but we soldiered on and managed to get most of the cutting and welding done by late last night , here are few pictures ,

hi all , been quiet for a while so decided its time for a bit of an update , i managed to buy a very original 1979 zetor crystal 8011 since i was on here last , its showing a genuine 3000 hrs and is still on the original barum tyres from new , it seems to have lay for a while because the tin work is shabby ( nothing we cant sort out ) , when i got it home it was devoid of any brakes so i have all new brakes , master cylinders , pipes , slave cylinders and reservoir bottle fitted to her now and the brakes would put you out through the windscreen now ,

she has a lift assistor ram fitted and also the compressor is present and working too i might add ,

it doesn't have the passenger seat fitted for some reason but im not worried because being 6'6" its handy to have that extra bit of leg room !

she starts first turn and purrs like a kitten , ive done some log splitting and ran the bench saw on her for a few days and she is faultless so im really happy .

few pictures ,