Thread: Scottish new CAP Direct Payments Ready Reckoner

Scottish new CAP Direct Payments Ready Reckoner

This is the new post reform subsidy rate calculator for farmers in Scotland

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/farmingrural/Agriculture/CAP/cap-resources

Enjoy
    Nothing endures but change

Re: Scottish new CAP Direct Payments Ready Reckoner

A single payment for rough grazing is nonsensical.

There is at least a ten-fold difference in carrying capacity between the best and the worst farms (1 ewe/acre versus 10 acres/ewe). So on a headage basis, one farm would be getting an annual payment of 10/ewe, while a very extensive hill farm would be getting 100/ewe.

I know the payment isn't linked to production, but that's how it would turn out.

link wont open

What happens when Scotland has to reapply for EU membership after leaving the UK?

Its taken most countries 8+ years after applying to actually get in... Fat Eck thinks he can get it all done in 18 months...

Will there still be lfass payments?

OK, crunching the numbers for 'Region 1' - (the bit of Scotland that isn't exposed granite):

-previously under the 'old SFP' arable land 'entitlement' paid 357/ha less 19% 'modulation' = 289/ha

-new fangled system 222/ha

Difference = 23.2% reduction in SFP.

But... given that the original SFP was a fixed sum, and inflation / value of a pound has fallen, I looked at inflation tables to work out the difference in buying power back in 2005 and compared it to a projection for 2015. It contains fudges (forward inflation at 2% etc), but in a nut shell in the real value of the SFP has eroded by 22% over the life of this scheme. To maintain its original buying power since 2005, the SFP would need to have increased to 369.

To now peg it at 222 for the 'New Scheme' is therefore a real reduction of something of the region of 40% compared to the start of the previous SFP.

And to think people called Ronnie Biggs a thief....

Quote Originally Posted by crofter View Post
    Will there still be lfass payments?
    Yes. They will come out of Pillar 2. Whether or not they will be maintained at current levels is anyone's guess.

When HLCA payments (hill cow and hill sheep subsidies) were converted to an area basis under LFASS, there was a massive reduction for many extensive hill farms which just happened to fall below a certain stocking-rate threshold. In some cases, having one ewe too few or one ha too many meant their stocking density fell into a lower category and their LFASS payment was halved - maybe from 15,000 to 7500.

And NFUS didn't seem to care. And there was no sympathy from the Dept. When decisions are made by a computer, it isn't easy for common sense to prevail.

finally got it to work

looks like i'll be getting virtually identical to what i'm getting now, although that's probably down to how I got stitched up with the last lot of reference years

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    What happens when Scotland has to reapply for EU membership after leaving the UK?

Its taken most countries 8+ years after applying to actually get in... Fat Eck thinks he can get it all done in 18 months...
    18 months seems reasonable to me.We already comply with all the rules.

How does a sub of 222/ha for Scottish arable compare with the other side of the Border, 7 fields south east of here?

Anyone care to elucidate on the current thinking from DEFRA?
    - Just how level is the 'European playing field' these days?

[I wonder what Alistair Carmichael was thinking, when Owen Paterson put his hand up his backside and made him sing like 'Orville the duck'?
    - It was an interesting public admission that Carmichael favours his own brown nosing ambition over any political integrity that he once had. C'est la vie.]

Lets hope the Welsh Assembly don't adopt something similar as I would be about 25% down on this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer IV View Post
    How does a sub of 222/ha for Scottish arable compare with the other side of the Border, 7 fields south east of here?

Anyone care to elucidate on the current thinking from DEFRA?
    - Just how level is the 'European playing field' these days?

[I wonder what Alistair Carmichael was thinking, when Owen Paterson put his hand up his backside and made him sing like 'Orville the duck'?
    - It was an interesting public admission that Carmichael favours his own brown nosing ambition over any political integrity that he once had. C'est la vie.]
    They sacked Mr Moore and brought in Mr Carmichael.Bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by saltoun View Post
    Prior to the 2010 general election, Michael Moore spoke at a hustings at Duns. He apparently said that the roll of the Scottish Secretary was to kow tow to Westminster, and therefore the job was meaningless and should be scrapped...

Scotland, land of the free home of the brave

Quote Originally Posted by its yourself View Post
    This is the new post reform subsidy rate calculator for farmers in Scotland

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/farmingrural/Agriculture/CAP/cap-resources

Enjoy
    I'm off to buy a tub of Vaseline with the last of my SFP as looking at this Ready Reckoner I'm going to get it well and truly stuffed up my arse.
    I will receive one quarter of the subsidy I received 30 years ago. You don't need to be Stephen Hawkins to work out how that equates in real terms. Perhaps it's a simple stock reduction scheme?

Scotland, land of the free home of the brave

I have met MM on several occasions and have to say I found him to be a very modest man, which on reflection he has a lot to be modest about.
    To be blunt both him and Carmichael couldn't kep hens in a close.

18 months seems reasonable to me.We already comply with all the rules.
    The thing is nobody knows how long it will take, it could take 2 years it could take 10. Only one of the current EU members needs to make things difficult for it to drag out (Spain, Catalonia? Croatia, The Euro?).

The only certainty is that we would need to reapply, god help any farming business in Scotland who will be relying on their SFP to stay afloat over the next 5-10 years if Scotland votes yes. IMO.

I knew it would be bad, having done the sums confirms this. We will be receiving 49% of what we did previously.

There will be a lot of people getting less in these islands (Orkney) Many millions less into the relatively small economy.