Thread: ATC, trike, three wheeler hmm.

ATC, trike, three wheeler hmm.

I've been thinking of late of bygone days when we had three wheelers to scoot around with, we had a mint 86 250 bigred which was weapon of choice but previous to this there was the klt 200 and also a 200x and a 250 tri-z just for fun. Allot of these are long gone now but have fancied getting one again only to find since they stopped making them in 87 they are now a bit like rocking horse shit and difficult to pick up a good un. Does anyone have one sitting around they think they could part with?
    "At the end of the day, I think it's going to get very dark."

Re: ATC, trike, three wheeler hmm.

you tired of life?

we had a bigred back in the day,dangerous dam thing that was

there is a 250 here, not going at minute but maybe going this time next week, yes dangerous but alot handier than a 4x4 quad and the old man can handle it better too because of the light steering. have to say for stock checking i would prefer the trike, but trialer work or gathering sheep it would be quad.

We had some land rented a few years back and the Landlord was a collector of motor cycles of various sorts, vintage and newish ones. Must have been around 87 when they banned 3wheeled ATVs. At the time the Landlord asked us a favour. He said if we had an old barn loft or something where he could store 4 Trikes for a short spell as he was doing some building work. We said yes we had an old hayloft. Anyway they came with four brand spanking new Motorbikes, A 250 Honda big red, 2 Yamaha racing type trikes and a kiddies Suzuki.
    Anyway, 20 years almost went by and we had a brake-in when a thieving bar$*ar& nicked our farm Quad. It was clear he'd been poking around the buildings during the raid. All the trikes were still there but we thought we better let know the owner of these trikes. We didn't have his land anymore and hadn't been in touch for a few years. When we phoned up to explain, their reply was "What Trikes?" They'd forgotten all about them. It made their day and they came pretty sharpish with a big pair of bolt cutters to recover them.

They where revolutionary for there time still few about but not many in good shape I have a Atc 200e shaft drive with reverse on original tyres all straight and tidy I think that might be an 84 and about as tidy as you will find anywhere and also a Atc 250 r 1982 air cooled with two stroke red rocket motor all original but no racks though !!!!! Sorry I'm keeping both.

yes they could be dangerous but deaths from quad bikes are not that rare now so I don't think they really deserve ridicule

they are significantly lighters than quad bikes and if one landed on you you could at least roll it off you something that a May be much more difficult with a 450kg quad
    anyway it a question of having some respect for what you do with them and the situation you put yourself in.

occasionally a good one on ebay if you keep your eyes open but most are scrap

we had first honda 110 in 1979, then had 3 in all, one got nicked , i do miss them as were so small and handy to throw around , cheap to run and now on honda quad number 10 !! as above only see them on ebay !

ATC 200s here since new in 1984, still goes well

My abiding memory of our Kawasaki KLT was a friend hitting a patch of ridge and furrow at speed, being thrown off to the left as the bike rolled itself into a ball to the right. One of those nasty 'toss of the coin' incidents that you either walk away from; or it makes the front page of the papers. He was lucky.
    Quads always felt a lot more stable and predictable with the additional front end weight, a lot less inclined to cock a leg over the rough stuff.
    I'm not feeling your nostalgia, that memory makes me shudder.

Some mixed memories there lol, would love that finding in the barn thing. I suppose it's always the same thing, you don't known what you've got until 20 years after it's gone.

A man I used to work for (for about 7 years) had a 250 Honda trike. When I started with him I was a bit dubious about it, but as time went by it grew on me. I never couped it, got it stuck or fell off it.....manys a corner on 2 wheels. Used to ride motorbikes so I think that helped. Landed back in yard one afternoon to bring cows in for milking, opened shed door to find trike was gone.
    In its place was a shiny red quad. The boss had only gone and traded in the trike for the quad and not mentioned it b4 hand. I was cross cos I'd have bought the trike off him but never got the chance. The quad wasn't as handy.....needed more room to turn, also got stuck in same terrain as trike would have sailed over and just felt more clumsy. Spent around a year looking for a half decent trike and ended up buying a quad this last spring. Would still buy a trike if right one came along.

I still use an 85 Big Red 250 regularly. It nearly floats over really boggy land (which is 90% of what I have).
    I bought it for my wife about 10 years ago but after seeing 15 year old son roll it (typical ) she was afraid ever to get on it!!
    I got it from an 80 yr old sheep farmer who only ever rode it side saddle, so the tank is worn on the left hand side, but not on the right! Everything still works, though the plastics have been plated & pop riveted in places.
    I'm considering what to replace it with, but as others have said, quads are generally a lot heavier, which would be a drawback to me, & probably would need 4WD to be at all comparable.

I have a honda 250sx 86 imported this year from the states you didn't get this model in the uk but was same as the farm versions over here but it has rear mono shock and front shockers. The trikes are very collectible now both racing and farm ones my mate has a good few including a Kawasaki klt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That is a smart looking bunch of three wheelers. How do you go about importing them is there someone doing it and you buy it from them or do you do it yourself?

Is it only me that thinks this thread is a contradiction of its OP due to the fact that Quattromike is looking for a trike? 😜😁😱

Quote Originally Posted by Quattromike View Post
    That is a smart looking bunch of three wheelers. How do you go about importing them is there someone doing it and you buy it from them or do you do it yourself?
    One of my friends imports them and sells them he has a guy in the states he pays to go pick them up and take them too a shipping company. In the second photo the trike in the left is also a 250sx but it's 85 the one over on the right is a uk bike chain drive farm trike can't mind is it a 200 or 250.

There is a joiner guy in Portmahomac my mates have bought about three bikes from now (hence the return to interest) but they are all 250r or tri-z bikes 2 stroke machines that are fast but only god at fast.

There is a joiner guy in Portmahomac my mates have bought about three bikes from now (hence the return to interest) but they are all 250r or tri-z bikes 2 stroke machines that are fast but only god at fast.
    Yip that's my mate that's where I live, he's sold a good few now nice ones clean bikes no corrosion from the states. The water cooled 250r's are nice. So are the red and white 6 speed tri-z's.

Does he take orders or is it just a case of what's available to stick in a container in the states?

Am not 100% sure on that I can pm his number 2 ya if ya want. Seems to be the collectible ones everyone wants he takes over like the 2 stroke 250r and the 4 stroke 350x he's also now taken in a few atc 70s the very early ones that weren't in this country. One of ma other friends got a trx70 quad from him don't think they were available in the uk neither. What trike do ya fancy?

I was fancying a 250 big red but I like the look of the 250 sx you have and having once had a 200x I think a 350x would be nice but never seen one, don't think they sold them over here.

Ok panic is off I've sourced and bought myself another KLT 200 in immaculate condition just as the one I had 20 years ago. Not as fast as I remember but good fun none the less

Ok panic is off I've sourced and bought myself another KLT 200 in immaculate condition just as the one I had 20 years ago. Not as fast as I remember but good fun none the less
    Acceleration is all about power to weight - have you been eating too many pies?.....

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer IV View Post
    Acceleration is all about power to weight - have you been eating too many pies?.....
    Yes !

had to register to reply to this thread lol.....

talking about trikes always excits me in a good way

got a 85 atc70, 87 atc250sx, 86 atc350x........

some of the best bikes ever made, you guys talk about the 350x, i assure you they are a fun trike to ride, and quiet able to put me in hospital, as it has done before

the atc250sx is hands down one of the best farm run abouts ever made,

keep the trikes alive, spend the money on good parts, makesure you can give them to your grandkids, keep posting pics, here, i will share some picks when i get them cleaned up (they been in storage)

more trikes

gives me the shivers just looking at pictures

Nice looking line up there

Nice collection there! Comic the racks on the 250sx have you got the towbar too?

racks and towbar were NZ fitted as they were destined for farm use (the 200sx ATV's at the time were the same.....still one of those in the family too, and a ATV70 the 4 wheel brother to the atc70)

shivers just looking at them ?...........i get the same feeling when i look at a range rover its hard to know what you like, if you don't know what you don't like

i always wanted ATV's of the same age too, maybe another 200sx, or a early honda 350 4x4, or even a ct110 like i had when i was a kid, all honda bikes of that age interest me, the atc250sx shared a lot with the big red atc at the time and the early trx250, they are a very sound engine and easy to work on.

you may think i am nuts, but riding slow or challenging bike hard is just as rewarding and riding late model stuff, and you don't have to rebuilt it every 50 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Pudding View Post
    racks and towbar were NZ fitted as they were destined for farm use (the 200sx ATV's at the time were the same.....still one of those in the family too, and a ATV70 the 4 wheel brother to the atc70)

shivers just looking at them ?...........i get the same feeling when i look at a range rover its hard to know what you like, if you don't know what you don't like

i always wanted ATV's of the same age too, maybe another 200sx, or a early honda 350 4x4, or even a ct110 like i had when i was a kid, all honda bikes of that age interest me, the atc250sx shared a lot with the big red atc at the time and the early trx250, they are a very sound engine and easy to work on.

you may think i am nuts, but riding slow or challenging bike hard is just as rewarding and riding late model stuff, and you don't have to rebuilt it every 50 hours.
    Cold sweaty fill your pants type pf shivers
    we had 2 of them things
    most dangerois things ever invented