Thread: 1950 Cat D8 2-U Info Rqd.

1950 Cat D8 2-U Info Rqd.

A friend of mine at Farmington,BC, Canada is selling his 1950 Cat D8 2-u at his farm auction in April. Please can anyone tell me, were the Cat D8 2U, all direct drive,was the engine fitted in them very reliable also the gearbox/transmission.Thanks in advance for any info.

Re: 1950 Cat D8 2-U Info Rqd.

they would have all been direct drive ,good engine and trans , running gear condition is the difference between scrap and a keeper
    do you have a serial number for it as i think it would be a 1940,s machine

Quote Originally Posted by d4c24a View Post
    they would have all been direct drive ,good engine and trans , running gear condition is the difference between scrap and a keeper

Not old enough for 2-U's!

although Sids old D8H serial number was tattooed into my grey cells for some reason - 68A4545

ff

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post

although Sids old D8H serial number was tattooed into my grey cells for some reason - 68A4545

ff
    and you will never forget putting that green bolt on it he has just turned 83

i wonder if its still about , might do a bit of searching

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post

ff

Thanks Footsfitter, I must contact Nick Parsons the farmer to get the serial no. There are some pics of the tractor at the Ritchie Auction's website.:-
    https://www.rbauction.com/195CATERPI...=3860408&id=ci
    Last edited by Footsfitter; 30-12-13 at 10:25 PM. Reason: sort duff link out

Quote Originally Posted by d4c24a View Post

After looking at zoomed in pic (on website I mentioned ),of running gear, it looks completely worn out. Unless I am mistaken, track link above idler (left idler as you look at pic) looks to be nearly worn through !!!

sprocket looks to have some problems , overall looks in a original condition ,trouble is with the high price of scrap

might generate some interest here http://www.acmoc.org/bb/index.php

https://www.rbauction.com/1950-cater...=3860408&id=ci

Quote Originally Posted by bonanza View Post
    After looking at zoomed in pic (on website I mentioned ),of running gear, it looks completely worn out. Unless I am mistaken, track link above idler (left idler as you look at pic) looks to be nearly worn through !!!

Seen worse, but the best has gone. The track link rail does have some wear and there are signs of burring but on the outside view at least the roller flanges haven't started hitting the rail bosses where the track pin goes thru. Some of the lower rollers have signs of damp oil covered with dust.

At least they have bothered to put a tin can over the exhaust pipe!

ff

Out of interest,the guy selling up, is the Nick Parsons who drove his combine across Canada, from British Columbia to Ottawa to high light the plight of farmers in his area Google "Nick Parsons Drives his Combine Across Canada " it is an interesting story,needless to say Nick is a real character who certainly believes in his own principles.