Thread: 10 week Agricultural Course

10 week Agricultural Course

Interested to here HRH Prince William was going on a 10 week course to learn to farm , at Cambridge, on the news the other day , so to take over their massive estates eventually ?

Wonder if this '' compacted '' course will be available to everyone in lue of the OND, HND, and 3-5 yrs normal courses???

Re: 10 week Agricultural Course

Quote Originally Posted by RGT View Post
    Interested to here HRH Prince William was going on a 10 week course to learn to farm , at Cambridge, on the news the other day , so to take over their massive estates eventually
    Surely this should be in the 'Joke of the Day' thread.......

But more seriously, I was born and brought up on a farm and have worked in agriculture since leaving school 20+ years ago and I'd would hesitate to throw my hat in the ring to run all their estates. I suspect he might need a little more than 10 weeks.......

This is a slightly puzzling bit of news.

Cambridge University abolished its Department of Agriculture over 20 years ago, sadly, and the nearest equivalent these days is "Land Economy", which essentially teaches people how to wear Rupert Bear trousers, and is mostly used as a subject where the 1% or so of people who fail other courses can move to and get some sort of degree.

I suppose it could be a course arranged by the Adult Education guys at Madingley Hall, or perhaps something dreamed up by NIAB and the Department of Botany at Cambridge, who do a lot with potentially commercial crops, and are rather good, in which case the course could be rather good as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RGT View Post
    Interested to here HRH Prince William was going on a 10 week course to learn to farm , at Cambridge, on the news the other day , so to take over their massive estates eventually ?

Wonder if this '' compacted '' course will be available to everyone in lue of the OND, HND, and 3-5 yrs normal courses???
    I doubt it. When I was at Seale Hayne there were some mature students who were on some kind of short stint farm management course who sat in on some our lectures. I don't think it was a replacement for the ND/HND etc type of courses but something a bit more condensed and designed as a crash course for people new to the industry as such.

I very much doubt the bloke will be involved in the day to day running of anything, they must have agents and a whole raft of people running their estates and affairs. I suspect this is more aimed at giving him some idea about rural matters when he actually gets involved and has to speak to real life people involved in it.

The Duchy of Cornwall of course has its own agents and advisers who really 'run it'. HRH just needs to know enought to understand what they are doing and to be able to work with and be accepted by the tenants, his father knows a hell of a lot more than most give him credit for and has done some stints on hill farms and in milking parlours to make sure he knows what the end of a muck fork is. The bit that HRH will learn which he wouldn't really learn working on a farm is the policy side and future trends etc.

The course is run by http://www.cpsl.cam.ac.uk/About-Us.aspx

(his Dad is a patron )

It's a pity some members of the Cabinet don't go on a 10 week Agricultural Course Then even they should be able to learn what the word 'rural' means.....
    Money isn't everything - but it sure helps to keep the children in touch

Quote Originally Posted by tom View Post
    The course is run by http://www.cpsl.cam.ac.uk/About-Us.aspx

(his Dad is a patron )
    I know also their the Duke And Duchess of Cambridge but did'nt see much about this course-maybe its just ''tailored'' for them?