Thread: Matbro TR250 Powershift problems.

Matbro TR250 Powershift problems.

Have just bought a 1995 Matbro TR250 Powershift Plus to refurbish and use as a standby. Not too expensive and 9000+ hours so bound to be a few things to sort.

1) Hydraulic oil tank and pump get too warm very quickly and pump probably needs more driving than it should although boom lift, crowd and steering work fairly well.

2) Attachment carriage slowly crowds fully up without any joystick action. (about 15 seconds from level to fully up)

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Have only just joined BFF and this is my first post so please bear with me.

Re: Matbro TR250 Powershift problems.

Quote Originally Posted by MATCASE View Post
    Have just bought a 1995 Matbro TR250 Powershift Plus to refurbish and use as a standby. Not too expensive and 9000+ hours so bound to be a few things to sort.

1) Hydraulic oil tank and pump get too warm very quickly and pump probably needs more driving than it should although boom lift, crowd and steering work fairly well.

2) Attachment carriage slowly crowds fully up without any joystick action. (about 15 seconds from level to fully up)

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Have only just joined BFF and this is my first post so please bear with me.

Hello and welcome to BFF

Locate the BFF search bar and type in fired matbro , read though all my posts on it as it will have some usefull info there for you and things to look out for sadly some of the pics are missing as i posted that thread ages ago on the old forum and not all of the pics have been retreived as yet.

Your hydraulics over heating i would normally say with out hesitation a faulty inlet section/modulating valve on the main spool block under the boom. these are common to cause exactly that problem the one fitted to the TR250 is different to all other matbros even though it looks the same so be ware you get the right one.

What makes me question my above statement is the fact you say it takes more driving than it should? this to me would indicate either a faulty hydraulic pump stuck on max oil flow or some one has messed about with the hydraulic pressures and they are not set right.
    Hydraulic pressures are critical to the correct operation of the variable displacement piston pump on these machines. the inlet section i spoke about above has a relief valve in it this is not to be used as the main relief valve it is set over the main relief which is on the hydraulic pump its self. if it is set lower than the pump relief the pump will not go to minimum displacement and will stall/strain the engine.

First thing to do is get some pressure gauges, get a low one to start with about a 50bar one or maybe a 100bar? fit it to the test port on the main valve block under the boom which is located on your left and at the back of the block as you look at it. start the machine DO NOT OPERATE ANYTHING you will blow the gauge up! with engine running you should have about 25bar standby pressure, this is adjusted via the top adjuster valve on the hydraulic pump.

Once you have standby pressure stop the machine and fit a 300 bar gauge or bigger to check main pressure dead end one of the aux services do not test main pressure on extend or tilt or pick up hitch services they are set different, main pressure is 210bar and set on the bottom adjuster on the hydraulic pump.
    now to check the pressure setting of the inlet section on the main spool block you over set the main relief on the pump to rise the pressure, the inlet relief valve should be some were about 230bar not really that important just so long as it is 10bar or so higher than main pressure on pump, i think you could just screw the inlet relief valve right in to the max as it should never be used on this machine anyway. after you have checked inlet pressure is higher than 210bar reset main relief on the pump back to 210bar. DO NOT adjust the adjuster on the left in my pic that is swash plate angle and is factory set, if it has been tampered with then you will need a flow gauge and some way of getting the pump to stay on max pump and run it at full chat long enough to get a reading and adjust it back to were it should be about 110litres per minute i think? maybe a little less?

Once you have done all this work the machine for a couple of days as i had one that kept changing the pressures on its own! and caused engine to labour was a faulty pump.
    If you oil is still running hot then replace the inlet section on the main spool block as the modulating valve in it is faulty and causing a restriction and making heat.
    Clean the tank out aswell and suction filter and replace the return filter. drop a old magnet in the bottom of hyd tank bigger the better an old magnet off a biggish car speaker does the job.

Now the next problem tilting on its own. first disconnect one of the electrical plugs on the solenoids get a length of wire and rewire the earth to chassis some were you can push the wire in the plug same route as all the rest by loosening the cable gland nut. do not dissconnect the original earth just add in an extra one, only need to do it to one plug as the earths are all joined together.

if you see my fired matbro thread you will find info on the wiring for the solenoids too and what voltages to test for.
    Once you have ruled out the earth issue and the fault is still there i would expect a faulty solenoid mostly tilt but some times the lift can affect the tilt and vice versa.
    If you isolate the tilt function on the rocker switch in the cab to turn it off, work the tilt on the joystick both ways and look for movement on the main lift! usually down i think. if lift moves down or up while moving tilt with it turned off you have a faulty lift solenoid as well!

That should give you something to do over the week end if you get it all done and find some thing else up with it just ask!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks ACE for such a detailed and comprehensive reply, a real result from my first thread and as you say "something to keep me going over the weekend". Might be more than a few weekends but have an acquaintance from EATON who may loan me the correct gauges. Only trouble is once he turns up he doesn't know where home is!

Quote Originally Posted by MATCASE View Post
    Thanks ACE for such a detailed and comprehensive reply, a real result from my first thread and as you say "something to keep me going over the weekend". Might be more than a few weekends but have an acquaintance from EATON who may loan me the correct gauges. Only trouble is once he turns up he doesn't know where home is!
    No worries, dont tell your mate the pump is a rexroth he might get upset and not come

I didnt tell you were the relief valve adjuster is on the inlet section under the boom. as you look at the spool block the inlet section is on your left, on the top of that section you will find a recessed Adjuster screw you will need an allan key could be 4 or 5mm from memory. varies with age of the section latest ones use a smaller allan key.

Hi There,
    Thanks so much for even reading this and would love a few suggestions as what might be wrong with our Matbro, We bought a 1996 Matbro TR250 Powershift Plus (6250hrs) as a back up Loader, Haven't used it all too much since we got it 3 months ago, but then a few days ago it started to lock up (no Steering or Hydraulics) but then it would start working perfect again for 5 minutes and lock up again, it has bags of power engine wise, we were told it could be the splines were worn going into the Hydraulic Pump (Metaris pump) as our engine seeming to be running high on Revs since we got it, we took off the double knuckle going into to it and it was fine, we also took off the load sensing pipe at the right of the orbital unit ,we had no oil coming here when the loader was not functioning but when it did,the oil flowed!! no Mechanic has seen it yet as hes flat out and is slow enough about coming as he hasn't much experience of Matbro , Any Ideas where a Farmer could start looking even??? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerJ View Post
    Hi There,
    Thanks so much for even reading this and would love a few suggestions as what might be wrong with our Matbro, We bought a 1996 Matbro TR250 Powershift Plus (6250hrs) as a back up Loader, Haven't used it all too much since we got it 3 months ago, but then a few days ago it started to lock up (no Steering or Hydraulics) but then it would start working perfect again for 5 minutes and lock up again, it has bags of power engine wise, we were told it could be the splines were worn going into the Hydraulic Pump (Metaris pump) as our engine seeming to be running high on Revs since we got it, we took off the double knuckle going into to it and it was fine, we also took off the load sensing pipe at the right of the orbital unit ,we had no oil coming here when the loader was not functioning but when it did,the oil flowed!! no Mechanic has seen it yet as hes flat out and is slow enough about coming as he hasn't much experience of Matbro , Any Ideas where a Farmer could start looking even??? Thanks
    It should have a rexroth pump on it. If it hadnt i would change it to the correct pump and have it set up correctly other wise it wont pump. They on pump demand and pressure settings are critcal or the system dont work.