Thread: Anyone using LED downlighters - but suitable for 2 thicknesses of plasterboard?

Anyone using LED downlighters - but suitable for 2 thicknesses of plasterboard?

When we refurbed the farm and general offices in 2003 we installed a total of 20 halogen 50w mains downlighters

Apart from the electric cost we notice - perhaps due to leaden footed access to the storage on the floor above - that even decent quality bullbs don't last.

For fire regs the ceiling and walls have 2 x thicknesses of plasterboard.

Does anyone know or use good quality LED downlighters with clips or fixings that can cope with 25mm of plasterboard?

WH
    Money isn't everything - but it sure helps to keep the children in touch

Re: Anyone using LED downlighters - but suitable for 2 thicknesses of plasterboard?

Why dont you just change the bulbs??? Even if you have to replace afew holders (buy in packs of 10 from ebay) this will be the cheaper option!

Have got about 60 of these in service for 2yrs so far : http://www.ledhut.co.uk/spot-lights/...net-price.html no failures. Warm white is a good replacment for halogen.

BIG20 at checkoutwill get you 20% off anything they sell. Volume discounts also.

I notice they sell http://www.ledhut.co.uk/spot-lights/led-downlights.html Which look like the clips are well up the body perhaps suitable for a thicker ceiling ?

Re: Anyone using LED downlighters - but suitable for 2 thicknesses of plasterboard?

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    Why dont you just change the bulbs??? Even if you have to replace afew holders (buy in packs of 10 from ebay) this will be the cheaper option!

Have got about 60 of these in service for 2yrs so far : http://www.ledhut.co.uk/spot-lights/...net-price.html no failures. Warm white is a good replacment for halogen.

BIG20 at checkoutwill get you 20% off anything they sell. Volume discounts also.

I notice they sell http://www.ledhut.co.uk/spot-lights/led-downlights.html Which look like the clips are well up the body perhaps suitable for a thicker ceiling ?
    x2
    leds are so much more efficient
    i got 11 leds in my kitchen
    they were 11 50w halogens,now 11 leds draw the same power as 1 halogen

Thanks for the prompt reply Timbo. I'll give them a ring when I've dried out!
    WH
    Money isn't everything - but it sure helps to keep the children in touch

X3
    changed my halogens to LED's in the kitchen, went from 300w to 36w and getting twice the light.
    Just be careful if your on a dimmer switch, dimmable LED's are only just getting good now and you might need to also change your switch as an ordinary dimmer switch needs at least 100w or something drawing off it where as if you change to LED's you might only have a total of 40-60w etc drawing off it.
    Or so I was told

Have a look at sales@downlightsdirect.co.uk. You will need a trailing edge type dimmer for LED lighting. Loading of the dimmer is important due to low consumption of power. LED'S the lights may flicker when turned down to a low setting.