Thread: IH 955 Turbo - can anyone ID the turbo please?

IH 955 Turbo - can anyone ID the turbo please?

Hi all, happy new year and all that.

So, in a spirit of get things fixed ... can anyone ID the turbo fitted to my IH 966 please?

I am guessing a new turbo complete is likely to better as a long term investment than attempting to bodge up the broken pipe ion this one.

Cheers

David

PS Dont you love the birds nest - been there since last summer at least¬!!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: IH 955 Turbo - can anyone ID the turbo please?

can't you find the plate on it?
    http://www.myholsetturbo.com/holsethx35.html

The broken pipe in question is a separate piece from the turbo, if you were to order a new turbo you wouldn't get that pipe with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Richardthewrecker View Post
    The broken pipe in question is a separate piece from the turbo, if you were to order a new turbo you wouldn't get that pipe with it.
    +1. Looks like a TB set up to me. Take the elbow off and have it welded with a new stub.

With the standard turbo I think you will need part number 3078854R2 (Number 1) in the diagram by the looks of it, but this looks a different turbo! -
    The things that come to those who wait, are things left by those who got there first!

Quote Originally Posted by Howard_S View Post
    With the standard turbo I think you will need part number 3078854R2 (Number 1) in the diagram by the looks of it, but this looks a different turbo! -
    Part no 1 above is on the inlet side.
    The IH 955 was fitted with the D310 (early) and D358 (later) engines. Neither of these engines were fitted with a turbo as standard. Opico and TB Turbo, amongst others, did an aftermarket kit to fit to the 955. Adding a turbo to the D310 engine brought it to life.

Quote Originally Posted by tengtooltom View Post
    Part no 1 above is on the inlet side.
    The IH 955 was fitted with the D310 (early) and D358 (later) engines. Neither of these engines were fitted with a turbo as standard. Opico and TB Turbo, amongst others, did an aftermarket kit to fit to the 955. Adding a turbo to the D310 engine brought it to life.
    Yeah, that's the turbo fitted to the D310 which as you point out wasn't fitted to the 955. I reckon the best way is to take it to the local engineering firm nad have it repaired!
    The things that come to those who wait, are things left by those who got there first!

It's a holsett turbo of some description going by photo 2.

what you have there is almost certainly a TB turbo kit. the exhaust bend flange is not available anymore, i know the people who used to be TB 's, they have no more parts available, and the only person who may help you is these lot

http://www.bizbuzz.com/business/lanc...+economy+ltd/1

this outfit did have a web site running at one time supplying obsolete tb parts , however it dont seemto be there now but there own site does, however as said above just make one yourself or take it to a competant engineer, its no need to be a precision part. if there aint nowt wrong with the turbo itself leave it alone, just undo the clamp that hold on the flange, if the flange brakes just get another off ebay, they are known as a V band clamp.

do you have any pictures of the complete tractor, we have a 955 turbo , good old tub. i have a 1055 4wd under restoration at the mo

My 956 had a misshap with a tree snapping it off where you'd is I welded it back but the cast pipe was thin and soon broke again
    iv since chopped it back to good metal and welded in a bit of thick walled mild steel tube think it was Galv pipe I had kicking about it did need some carefull welding and is not a nice looking job but its been done now 3 or 4 years and still on and doing the job.

Thanks one and all ....

now the newly arrived Barn Owl has hidden himself for a day or two have been able to scrape away the rust and determined it is probably a Holsett - really tricky to make out the casting name though.

John, in the next day or two (for which read more likely week or two) will take a wack more piccies for you.

I also have a 1055 (the subject of some discussions here some 12 months or so ago - the one with a massive oil leak, odd engine miss/rattle and missing 4wd drop box and shaft - the latter now sorted).

I have very, very fond memories of my latter youth spent working for a contractor around the pytchley/kettering/corby area predominantly with a 1055 -which is why I now have one!!!!

Cheers

David

Quote Originally Posted by DavidB View Post
    Thanks one and all ....

now the newly arrived Barn Owl has hidden himself for a day or two have been able to scrape away the rust and determined it is probably a Holsett - really tricky to make out the casting name though.

John, in the next day or two (for which read more likely week or two) will take a wack more piccies for you.

I also have a 1055 (the subject of some discussions here some 12 months or so ago - the one with a massive oil leak, odd engine miss/rattle and missing 4wd drop box and shaft - the latter now sorted).

I have very, very fond memories of my latter youth spent working for a contractor around the pytchley/kettering/corby area predominantly with a 1055 -which is why I now have one!!!!

Cheers

David
    ehh,it say holset in pic 2

Quote Originally Posted by davidroberts30 View Post
    ehh,it say holset in pic 2
    as mr roberts says , its definatly a holset . its written in big letters on the compressor housing, TB used these for the 955-1056 kit

Thanks again, sorry if I seemed to be being obtuse - the 'HOLSET.' marking is obvious when you know what you are looking for but not when you have never heard of them.

Cheers

David

Thanks again, sorry if I seemed to be being obtuse - the 'HOLSET.' marking is obvious when you know what you are looking for but not when you have never heard of them.

Cheers

David
    google is you friend

Only when one knows what to Google - it is a bit self serving!!!!

Only when one knows what to Google - it is a bit self serving!!!!
    tbf post 2 helps you a bit