Thread: Dexter with constant diarrhea - ideas?

Dexter with constant diarrhea - ideas?

Got a 3 year old dexter cow from a usually outwintered herd. Bought her in on New Year's eve, because she looked depressed, was isolated from the herd and had diarrhea.

Had the vet up on New Year's day who took blood samples to test for BVD and Johne's. Also recommended a course of Pen&Strep which she's now had.

She's eating hay well and drinking, but she's getting no better. Wasting further if anything, and still diarrhea.

Still waiting for blood test results.

Any thoughts on what it might be?

Ta

Re: Dexter with constant diarrhea - ideas?

I've not seen it yet but if blood tests show up nothing it might be rumen fluke

Quote Originally Posted by grassmanman View Post
    I've not seen it yet but if blood tests show up nothing it might be rumen fluke
    Excuse my ignorance, but is that related to liver fluke? She was dosed with Closamectin about 3 weeks ago.

Use a proper drench flukicide, lost a stock bull last year been well covered with that blue rubbish.

Jhones???????????
    In God we trust. ALL others pay CASH!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth Bryson View Post
    Jhones???????????
    Sounds like it I'm afraid.
    Come and stay in the Welsh hills, http://www.holidaycambriancoast.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth Bryson View Post
    Jhones???????????
    +1 I am afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepish View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but is that related to liver fluke? She was dosed with Closamectin about 3 weeks ago.
    May be related but different life cycle and isn't affected by closantel or fasinex. Only treatment is oxycloxanide drench marketed as zanil I think. More of a summer thing though.

Sorry to say, but it does sound like Johnes. If it turns out to be the case, get the rest of the herd tested. It's a bugger of a disease to get rid of from a herd but the last thing to do is bury your head in the sand about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffy Dug View Post
    Sorry to say, but it does sound like Johnes. If it turns out to be the case, get the rest of the herd tested. It's a bugger of a disease to get rid of from a herd but the last thing to do is bury your head in the sand about it.
    +1

if it's Johnes you might get a negative on the blood but she could still have it, it's a gut based issue and a dung sample will pick it up best, but even then you can get false negatives

johnes but if not liver/ kidney packed in

Fluke? or Jhones? - Jhones isn't a problem as such as it is hereditary, so manageable, check with a vet but I'm pretty sure it is NOT contagious.

We have had a couple like this over the years, one never recovered and died in the end, we had her PM'd and the only thing we could find was small signs of liver fluke (I'm not convinced this is what killed her), the other seemed to suddenly recover....

BUT there is no substitute for seeing the animal, it could be a number of things, swallowing a wire, an abscess somewhere, viral something, check for the obvious first... I would push the vet let them know your not happy with diagnosis/response of the animal.

One tip is that if the animal is a pet or has some exceptional value you MAY be able to get the vet practice to get one of the Veterinary Uni's to have a look, some have a link to the Veterinary Training staff that have far more equipment and are more at the experimental/research side of veterinary science, some of the universities have a fixed fee sort of thing that they offer to come and look at 'unusual' problems, they often have equipment more akin to the NHS which is uneconomical for your average day to day vet.... If the vets do have this link there would be a cost I am sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Einstien View Post
    Jhones isn't a problem as such as it is hereditary, so manageable, check with a vet but I'm pretty sure it is NOT contagious.
    Believe me, Johnes is contagious. It can be passed on either through an infected mother's milk, or in the later stages of the disease the infected animal will shed the bacteria through its dung. If the animals are housed, this can easily lead to otherwise 'clean' genetic lines becoming infected. Young calves tend to be the most vulnerable in that situation, but it is possible for older cattle to become infected if the bacterial challenge is high enough.

I agree with Scruffy on this one. Johnes IS contagious it is passed as Scruffy said - from mother to calf via milk but also is excreted in the dung as the bacterial load in the infected gut increases. Isolation and culling I'm afraid. Test all your stock and expect to cull any positives no matter how healthy they are (any young stock could be kept for slaughter age, if symptom free). If you ignore it, you will be building up trouble for the future so best dealt with by management of carriers now.
    Not sure about cattle but there is a vaccine for sheep, only good for lambs at about 3-6 weeks of age but you have to hope they haven't already become infected because then it won't work (that's why you cull out infected ewes).
    I would kick the vet up the ass about the blood test wait - should get the results in a week not 2!
    If it is Johnes that Dexter will not survive so best get it culled - it's very unpleasant in the latter stages.
    Saying all that, I hope it's fluke.

Quote Originally Posted by windylamb View Post
    Test all your stock and expect to cull any positives no matter how healthy they are (any young stock could be kept for slaughter age, if symptom free). If you ignore it, you will be building up trouble for the future so best dealt with by management of carriers now.
    Not sure about cattle but there is a vaccine for sheep, only good for lambs at about 3-6 weeks of age but you have to hope they haven't already become infected because then it won't work (that's why you cull out infected ewes).
    +1
    I think there is a vaccine for cattle but if memory serves me it can interfere with TB test results so most farms tend not to use this method of control.
    Blood tests are fairly accurate in so far as they don't throw up that many false positives (but they're not unknown), so anything that comes back with a positive blood test I would always cull (but that's just my opinion). I know it goes against the grain to cull what looks to be a perfectly healthy animal, but they are just walking timebombs. It's the damage they do to the other cattle in the herd that you have to keep in mind.

I agree with the others above. If it's johnes you must cull out any positives asap and don't keep any of their daughters for breeding.

Blood test results back today. 2 weeks after taking sample! Positive for BVD. Got to cull her, but having convinced myself it was Johnes, almost a relief.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepish View Post
    Blood test results back today. 2 weeks after taking sample! Positive for BVD. Got to cull her, but having convinced myself it was Johnes, almost a relief.
    Are you going to test the rest of your herd?

Sheepish,
    when you say positive for BVD do you mean she is PI or that she has antigens and has been subjected to the disease?